Upcoming/Recent Shows

Saw The Killers last night at Caesars Palace for their Hot Fuss residency.

Easily one of the best stage designs I’ve witnessed. I really stopped listening to them after Battle Born. I’ve still listened to all of their releases but I mainly embrace their first 3 albums and Sawdust. That being said, it was wonderful to see Mark on the bass and the stage. The band was fantastic and regardless of the lineup, the performance is always top notch. I will say one thing about this “reunion”, I see 4 very different personalities out there that play fantastically together but I don’t see a cohesiveness. I’m not sure if these shows will bring Dave and Mark back to the fold permanently or if the BFlow train is going to keep on chugging along without them.

IMG_2547.jpeg

We flew to Indy for the rescheduled Pearl Jam show. Saw Smashing Pumpkins / Interpol the night before the canceled gig, this year it was Paula Abdul & NKOTB at Ruoff the night before. Found $20 lawn tix shortly before show time.

Paula was entertaining. (She apparently went back to our hotel after. the show but we missed her) No offense to any fans, but New Kids were awful. Not my kind of music, and we left during song 7.

1725047714093.jpeg

1725047756662.jpeg

I'm a long time fan of The Frames and Glen Hansard. We made sure to get in early to see his set. My 10c seats weren't great (there was a ticket fiasco during the original show sales and I was reassigned seats three times) but we were in the building!

Didn't take any pix during PJ, was so good to see them as it had been nearly two years since our last show in Camden, NJ. Lots of Vitalogy tracks, and good to hear the new stuff.

We have 5 more shows coming up in NYC, Philly and Baltimore. I'm chasing Undone. Wish me luck that we get it at one of these shows.

1725048034512.jpeg

Lawn was beyond packed

1725048077735.jpeg

1725048157215.jpeg

Overhead photo of Ruoff lawn

1725048199343.png

Last edited:
Just saw Soul Asylum open for STP. Fantastic but very short 30 minute set.

STP played Purple in it's entirety for it's 30th anniversary. Then they brought out Trey Hensley and they did an acoustic bluegrass thing, then he shredded on the electric guitar for a couple songs with them. Next up is Live who is supposed to play Throwing Cooper in it's entirety for that 30th anniversary.

IMG20240831191422.jpg
IMG20240831201507.jpg
IMG20240831210034.jpg
Live

IMG20240831215309.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a fantastic night last night at PNC Park in Pittsburgh for Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Rancid, and The Linda Lindas. Unfortunately missed the latter because of traffic our Uber was fighting to get into the area, but the former 3 were in peak form for the rest of the evening. The Smashing Pumpkins were HEAVY again, a lot more so than when I saw them last in 2019. Green Day played both Dookie and American Idiot in full for their respective anniversaries. Sounded incredible. Made me feel 15 again. So glad I went.

PXL_20240901_220846617.jpgPXL_20240901_225836449.MP.jpgPXL_20240902_003357042.MP.jpgPXL_20240902_015428224.MP.jpg

Wow, what a fantastic night last night at PNC Park in Pittsburgh for Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Rancid, and The Linda Lindas. Unfortunately missed the latter because of traffic our Uber was fighting to get into the area, but the former 3 were in peak form for the rest of the evening. The Smashing Pumpkins were HEAVY again, a lot more so than when I saw them last in 2019. Green Day played both Dookie and American Idiot in full for their respective anniversaries. Sounded incredible. Made me feel 15 again. So glad I went.

View attachment 212631View attachment 212632View attachment 212633View attachment 212634
I see you were were protected from foul balls as well! lol
That netting was the only gripe I had about the show in Cincy.

1- First Concert - Hall & Oates with Marshall Crenshaw (1983)
2- Last Concert - Iron & Wine with Sunny War at the Ryman
3- Worst Concert - Smashing Pumpkins droning dully between energetic and joyous Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers sets (1991)
4- Loudest Concert - Neil Young & Crazy Horse (1991) - maybe not the loudest, but louder than their opener Sonic Youth, so seems worth crediting
5- Best Concert - The Who (2000) - Having seen live performances on TV throughout the '90s, I fully expected a Townshend confined to acoustic guitar and an expanded band of back-up singers and gratuitous musicians; I got a lean, loose, powerful Who, with Zack Starkey admirably acquitting himself behind the kit, the Ox (so soon to pass) stately busting out thunderous bass, Daltrey singing with strength but also a grace and nuance I never associated with him before, and ol' Pete wringing fire out of a coral Fender Strat, no acoustic in sight.
6- Seen the Most - Bob Dylan (x20)
7- Most Surprising - The Who (2000) (probably also why I rank it as best) and The Zombies (2013)
8- Happy I Got To See - Chuck Berry (1988), David Bowie (2004)
9- Wish I Could Have Seen - Prince (never made it the priority I should have; figured I’d always have a chance some other time…)
10- Next Concert - Electric Light Orchestra (technically, “Jeff Lynne’s ELO”)

Not recent at all, but I was backing up my photos from concerts and dug up a show I caught back in 2018.

ZmgJryH.jpeg

I'll be catching Chappell Roan at a festival at the end of the month.

Last night in Philly, caught Peter Hook & The Light doing NO & JD "Substance" sets.

Really enjoyed it - hard to believe I was seeing an original member play those epic songs from my youth.

Opener was KW1, aka Your Silent Face, the first New Order song I ever heard on college radio.

Not my videos:

Last night in Philly, caught Peter Hook & The Light doing NO & JD "Substance" sets.

Really enjoyed it - hard to believe I was seeing an original member play those epic songs from my youth.

Opener was KW1, aka Your Silent Face, the first New Order song I ever heard on college radio.

Not my videos:

I saw Peter Hook earlier in the week, in D.C. I absolutely loved the show. Peter Hook's vocals work pretty well for the songs.

The start of a potential 4-show week this week. First up, Cage the Elephant with Young the Giant, Bakar, and Willow Avalon. Got a $10 upgrade into the pavilion.

Was a little disappointed Bakar was solo singing over a backing track. I think he'd be great with a live band.

PXL_20240909_231912292.jpg

Young the Giant sounded amazing. They were the first show my wife and I saw together when we started dating. I wasn't impressed with the Forecastle Festival set the next year, but 10 years later they were right, energized, and had a great set of hits (and 1 bust out after 14 years of not playing it).
PXL_20240910_000735481.jpg

I didn't realize that Matt had broken his leg, so when he wheeled himself out on a scooter I thought it was a bit. I've always had a love/hate relationship with them, especially Matt as a lead singer. Yes, energy out the ass, but at what cost? I remember seeing them open for Muse in 2011 and he was completely out of breath before the 1st chorus of the 1st song. Well that obviously wasn't happening tonight with him on a scooter so I was curious. Nope, still not something I can watch and listen to for an extended period of time. This was my 5th try. I think I can finally close the books.
PXL_20240910_013134768.jpgPXL_20240910_014404477.MP.jpg

The start of a potential 4-show week this week. First up, Cage the Elephant with Young the Giant, Bakar, and Willow Avalon. Got a $10 upgrade into the pavilion.

Was a little disappointed Bakar was solo singing over a backing track. I think he'd be great with a live band.

View attachment 213205

Utilizing my years of experience watching shows about the paranormal, I can state unequivocally that the usher in photo #1 was not there when you took that picture but is in fact a Live Nation haint lost in the great Danzig wars of the 90's that wanders from show to show searching for the pit kid who took her life.

Date night with Mrs. Xfactor511 tonight for Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit at Jacob's Pavilion in Cleveland. My 6th time, and first since the dental surgery and divorce. Probably the best vocal performance I've ever heard from him. They always put on a great show. The new album didn't hit quite like the others so what got played from it (9 songs) was still very good, but had me wishing to hear more older stuff. Except for King of Oklahoma. That song rips so hard

PXL_20240911_012202303.jpg

Caught the latter half of opener Alejandro Escovedo's set. Had almost a late career Elvis Costello sound to it. I dug what I heard. I know he's a bit of an underground legend.

PXL_20240911_001607397.MP.jpg

Back