Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I know it’s a critically lauded album but wasn’t that an infamously poor pressing? So in ratings system and his campaign for transparency over poor pressings to “shame” record companies into better pressings he’s given one that I’ve heard bad things about over 9/10?

Also I’m being very kind to him there, he doesn’t have the profile to shame anyone into change, but that’s the absolute best reading of the situation because there’s fuck all else going on there!
The one thing that I was able to figure out about the grading system is that only records that scored higher than 90% would be sold by him. I suspect that buried somewhere in the horrible video streams he conducts is an explanation of how the scoring system works, but I found it hard to sit through even one of them. They're basically just advertisements for records in his shop. I would be fascinated to know how that store is actually doing. If you even glance through things like the terms of service and return policy it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. And somewhere it says that things ship from a US warehouse, which makes me think that his actual involvement beyond rating and listing the items for sale may be minimal? It's impossible to narrow down. You'd think the one thing he'd make clear is how the grading system works, but there is nothing about it anywhere.

tbh i kinda wish they didn't have all the extra stuff.. no need for QRP or all analogue or the facebook group..

mostly i want albums i know i like at a decent price with good analysis put in

like if they did sub pop or kranky and pressed at Gz (probably color but i dunno) and had a very good liner booksheet and the podcast... i'd buy it pretty easily.. it would be like 180 dollars or so (if you ignore 180g it will be cheaper), and i get albums i might love with some nice supplementary material

I agree, I could do without the extra stuff. However, AAA, all analogue done at QRP is the most important thing to me. In fact, that’s all I care about. Give me records mastered from the original analogue tapes and pressed in the best possible quality, then house them in high quality jackets. That is literally all I want. That’s what I want from every reissue to be frank. In an ideal world, that would be the standard.

If VMP does this without hiccups, I’ll be a very satisfied customer.

While VJ got a lot of hate on the BN/VMP Facebook page, the one that drove me nuts is the guy that took "now spinning" type shots of cd covers like they were record covers. Not sure why but that drove me to rage.
I noticed this guy too! He really stood out to me because he was also in a different jazz vinyl group I was in, so whenever he posted that stuff I'd see two identical posts from him one right on top of the other. I called him out on it in that group and he would just ignore it or claim that they were actually records, but they were always super close-cropped and one even said SACD in the corner, lol!

I agree, I could do without the extra stuff. However, AAA, all analogue done at QRP is the most important thing to me. In fact, that’s all I care about. Give me records mastered from the original analogue tapes and pressed in the best possible quality, then house them in high quality jackets. That is literally all I want. That’s what I want from every reissue to be frank. In an ideal world, that would be the standard.

If VMP does this without hiccups, I’ll be a very satisfied customer.
tbh i just see a reissue as a reason to buy an album i like or might like... and the ability to obtain it new and officially on vinyl is all i want (it doesn't have to be in color though that is a plus).. i go to vinyl as a form of physical media that i interact with in a sequenced album format... i am not really an audiophile more as a collector in love with music

Last edited:
To be honest the only thing that I think is important is the QRP and, to a lesser extent, the AAA. Dump the podcast, book and box and save on the stuff we don’t need, spend on the stuff we do need, what we can hear.
Yaaaaaaaaaas! These are my exactly my thoughts!!!

I couldn’t care less about the box and podcast especially. It’s rubbish to me.The book is nice, and I like it, but it isn’t essential. It’s all about the pressing as we are all in it for the music in the end!!!

I want every vinyl to be housed in high quality protective inner sleeves (if they are not printed inner sleeves). And I want every vinyl to be sealed the way the VMP ROTM’s/Tone Poet Blue Note are, because that decreases the chance of the vinyl becoming warped. I hate how most brand new vinyl the vacuum sealed!

tbh i just see a reissue as a reason to buy an album i like or might like... and the ability to obtain it new and officially on vinyl is all i want (it doesn't have to be in color though that is a plus).. i go to vinyl as a form of physical media that i interact with in a sequenced album format... i am not really an audiophile more as a collector in love with music

It's still good to seek out better pressings and masterings, because you never know where the hobby will take you. IMO mastering and pressing are of upmost importance if you're seeking good sound, especially if you subscribe to the common sense shit-in-shit out philosophy. Back when I first got into this hobby I only had a cursory interest in the audiophile stuff, outside of making sure the music didn't sound terrible. Now that consumes more of my interest, I regret some purchases and am super grateful to my past self for others. For the most part, outside of a few stupidly limited pressings, those audiophile ones are the ones that have risen in value too. Any of this audiophile stuff will hold value too way after the vinyl bubble bursts, and no one cares about colored pressings of 2010s pop music because the rich audiophiles will still be buying lol.

You can still collect and love music done in high quality, even if it’s not a selling point to you. It doesn’t change anything on your end, even if you don’t care about it.

The Blue Note 80th Anniversary titles might not come in fanciest LP jackets, but they prove that all analogue remastered records can be done at fair prices.

I want every vinyl to be housed in high quality protective inner sleeves (if they are not printed inner sleeves). And I want every vinyl to be sealed the way the VMP ROTM’s/Tone Poet Blue Note are, because that decreases the chance of the vinyl becoming warped. I hate how most brand new vinyl the vacuum sealed!

Amen. My pet peeve are paper sleeves jammed tight in the LP jackets. I honestly don’t know who thinks this is a good idea.

You can still collect and love music done in high quality, even if it’s not a selling point to you. It doesn’t change anything on your end, even if you don’t care about it.

The Blue Note 80th Anniversary titles might not come in fanciest LP jackets, but they prove that all analogue remastered records can be done at fair prices.
Seriously, for as bad as most of the 75th Anniversary pressings were, these 80s are the exact opposite. Not to mention the only slightly more expensive Tone Poets that are for the most part, absolutely incredible.

It's still good to seek out better pressings and masterings, because you never know where the hobby will take you. IMO mastering and pressing are of upmost importance if you're seeking good sound, especially if you subscribe to the common sense shit-in-shit out philosophy. Back when I first got into this hobby I only had a cursory interest in the audiophile stuff, outside of making sure the music didn't sound terrible. Now that consumes more of my interest, I regret some purchases and am super grateful to my past self for others. For the most part, outside of a few stupidly limited pressings, those audiophile ones are the ones that have risen in value too. Any of this audiophile stuff will hold value too way after the vinyl bubble bursts, and no one cares about colored pressings of 2010s pop music because the rich audiophiles will still be buying lol.
Bruh im going deaf.. most of the stuff sounds similar to the stream (except Thom Yorke anima, that just sounds better on record). And I dunno how to improve from m50s, powered speakers, schiit Mani and U-turn with the acrylic platter and grado black

I agree.. but I am just saying the pressing plant has never been a big deal to me nor if it was taken digitally or through the tapes (this doesn't mean if its literally from mp3s or something, just that they generally sound alright).

Also i also probably just don't know the difference between the analogue and digital since I mostly listen to modern music

Amen. My pet peeve are paper sleeves jammed tight in the LP jackets. I honestly don’t know who thinks this is a good idea.
OMG I knowwwwww! That annoys me too! Especially when it’s so tight!

Vinyl pressing plants and companies need to take pride in the vinyl the press! Like be proud of the vinyl you make and house in a great protective inner sleeve!

Back