Vinyl Me Please Anthology

how is it any different from any other genre or label anthology though? if it's a label anthology, might have some excellent choices and some stuff that's easy to find or has a good cut already. there's absolutely a world in which it's solid but not perfect.
It's a genre where people can rarely agree on who the GOAT is, and who's good (or mid) at any given moment. You're going to be really hard pressed to curate a box set that people are going to universally agree upon.

Then you have people that don't fuck with a lot of new hip hop, and people who love new hip hop that won't fuck with old school.

It's going to be pretty contentious, and it's definitely not a box set that's going to be universally loved among hip hop fans.

Yea I hope they nail the first one and that leads to multiple HH ones...Imagine a TDE Anthology where they press all the missing pieces like Section .80, Control System, Habits & Contradictions, 90059, Cilvia Demo, The Sun's Tirade etc....
I'm convinced there's a very specific reason (like Supreme Clientele) that Section 80 hasn't been released on vinyl yet, and I wish they would tell us exactly why so we can stop getting our hopes up. The DAMN era would've been the ideal time to do it if it were ever happening.

Rick Ruben anthology when?
Looking at the list, my personal opinion is for the genre, there's not THAT much to make a really good box set out of. Rick Rubin would make a better rock than hip hop box set I think. If we're talking producers, then you have a number of them that would make for an excellent anthology over Rick Rubin.

EDIT: In no way meant to discredit Rick Rubin, he's obviously incredible at what he does. I just think that a Rick Rubin anthology isn't breaking much new ground in vinyl, and it's certainly limiting when you only consider entire albums he produced. 80s and 90s alone you're only really dealing with Beasties, Run DMC, PE, LL, Sir Mix a Lot and a single Geto Boys album for the most part.

Last edited:
Looking at the list, my personal opinion is for the genre, there's not THAT much to make a really good box set out of. Rick Rubin would make a better rock than hip hop box set I think. If we're talking producers, then you have a number of them that would make for an excellent anthology over Rick Rubin.

EDIT: In no way meant to discredit Rick Rubin, he's obviously incredible at what he does. I just think that a Rick Rubin anthology isn't breaking much new ground in vinyl, and it's certainly limiting when you only consider entire albums he produced. 80s and 90s alone you're only really dealing with Beasties, Run DMC, PE, LL, Sir Mix a Lot and a single Geto Boys album for the most part.

Oh yeah I meant a stand alone anthology for him not hip-hop.

Oh yeah I meant a stand alone anthology for him not hip-hop.
Got it.

In this case, there's way too many albums in different genres for this to work I think. Ideally I think something like a 6LP curated mix tape set would definitely be the way to go. I recently got the John Hughes mix tape set and it's pretty fantastic and would be an excellent example for it to follow.

Got it.

In this case, there's way too many albums in different genres for this to work I think. Ideally I think something like a 6LP curated mix tape set would definitely be the way to go. I recently got the John Hughes mix tape set and it's pretty fantastic and would be an excellent example for it to follow.
it would never be AAA at that point though. i'm all for comps, but wouldn't drop $300+ on a 6LP mixtape from digital.

It's a genre where people can rarely agree on who the GOAT is, and who's good (or mid) at any given moment. You're going to be really hard pressed to curate a box set that people are going to universally agree upon.

Then you have people that don't fuck with a lot of new hip hop, and people who love new hip hop that won't fuck with old school.

It's going to be pretty contentious, and it's definitely not a box set that's going to be universally loved among hip hop fans.
if they can please jazz fans, they can please hip hop fans haha.

you can't possibly please everyone with any anthology. there will be endless debates and complaints about what albums/artists were selected, etc. if they did a hip hop box set, i would assume either they do a certain producer or a label, not a rapper. but who knows...

oh i know the john hughes isn't and seems like a sweet package. i've been eying that one.

but a VMP anthology like that would clear $300 easy.
I was talking in general (as a suggestion because where does one even start with a Rick Rubin anthology?) no way VMP is doing a mixtape outside of those 12on12 bullshits they partnered up on.

Unpopular opinion: Rick Rubin was merely at the right place at the right time. He doesn’t know most of what a typical producer does (especially when it comes to using actual equipment), but rather knows what does and doesn’t sound good. Back in the 80s that was considered a gift, especially as a new genre was emerging. Nowadays, he remains a one-trick pony. He’s been a part of some great stuff, but feel he’s essentially the OG DJ Khaled.

Unpopular opinion: Rick Rubin was merely at the right place at the right time. He doesn’t know most of what a typical producer does (especially when it comes to using actual equipment), but rather knows what does and doesn’t sound good. Back in the 80s that was considered a gift, especially as a new genre was emerging. Nowadays, he remains a one-trick pony. He’s been a part of some great stuff, but feel he’s essentially the OG DJ Khaled.

DROPPIN BOMBS

TO HERE WITH YOU: Hot Take

don't have to be an engineer or know how to play instruments to be a producer. i also don't think that shaping the sound of an entire genre was "being in the right place at the right time".

producers are essentially taste-makers. and he was on top of the game for 20+ years across a bunch of different genres. i mean the guy reinvented johnny fuckin cash. calling him OG DJ Khaled is a scorching hot take.

Back