Vinyl Me Please Anthology

don't have to be an engineer or know how to play instruments to be a producer. i also don't think that shaping the sound of an entire genre was "being in the right place at the right time".

producers are essentially taste-makers. and he was on top of the game for 20+ years across a bunch of different genres. i mean the guy reinvented johnny fuckin cash. calling him OG DJ Khaled is a scorching hot take.
Fair. I think this mostly has come from listening to his more recent interviews/podcasts and not being incredibly impressed with his approach, which is somewhat of a "zen musical therapist." So to your point, it's about being a taste-maker and trying to get some of these artists out of their own way (like for American Recordings). I think his approach to the topic of how he became a mega-producer felt like he was trying to downplay his role, but in the most "yeah I made all these bands, and if they didn't like what I was saying? Fuck right off" kind of way.

I will now adjust my opinion to say that Jack Antonoff is my new target.

Fair. I think this mostly has come from listening to his more recent interviews/podcasts and not being incredibly impressed with his approach, which is somewhat of a "zen musical therapist." So to your point, it's about being a taste-maker and trying to get some of these artists out of their own way (like for American Recordings). I think his approach to the topic of how he became a mega-producer felt like he was trying to downplay his role, but in the most "yeah I made all these bands, and if they didn't like what I was saying? Fuck right off" kind of way.

I will now adjust my opinion to say that Jack Antonoff is my new target.
yea there's an "aura" and mythology about him that i can see rubbing people the wrong way. at a certain point though you have to be confident in your taste and decisions and that's what made him so successful. he's an ideas man. and he has had a ton of great ideas over the years so what he's doing has clearly worked. i know lots of bands were frustrated by working with him because he is more hands off than most other producers.

Unpopular opinion: Rick Rubin was merely at the right place at the right time. He doesn’t know most of what a typical producer does (especially when it comes to using actual equipment), but rather knows what does and doesn’t sound good. Back in the 80s that was considered a gift, especially as a new genre was emerging. Nowadays, he remains a one-trick pony. He’s been a part of some great stuff, but feel he’s essentially the OG DJ Khaled.

I actually understand this take and would be agreeing with you if it wasn't for so many artists saying that he's helped them tremendously.

I have Rick Rubin's book that came out today out for delivery as we speak, very excited to crack into it.

Amazon product ASIN 0593652886

i asked for it for my bday. they have some signed copies floating around out there.

I went with this version. https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-creative-act/rick-rubin/9781805301042 shipping wasn't terrible for an import.

I actually understand this take and would be agreeing with you if it wasn't for so many artists saying that he's helped them tremendously.

I went with this version. https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-creative-act/rick-rubin/9781805301042 shipping wasn't terrible for an import.
my in-laws live in the UK so i asked them to pick up that one for me for my birthday. they'll be visiting us next month and will be here for my bday. but they probably didn't order it yet and now it's sold out haha.

my in-laws live in the UK so i asked them to pick up that one for me for my birthday. they'll be visiting us next month and will be here for my bday. but they probably didn't order it yet and now it's sold out haha.

Maybe it's like B&N where there's still in store copies?

Unpopular opinion: Rick Rubin was merely at the right place at the right time. He doesn’t know most of what a typical producer does (especially when it comes to using actual equipment), but rather knows what does and doesn’t sound good. Back in the 80s that was considered a gift, especially as a new genre was emerging. Nowadays, he remains a one-trick pony. He’s been a part of some great stuff, but feel he’s essentially the OG DJ Khaled.

"Yo, this is yer boy Rick Rubin comin right atcha from BROOKLYN!!"- the sad intro to all the early Beasties.

Backup for this sentiment straight from the horses mouth.

Backup for this sentiment straight from the horses mouth.

Yeah, and these are the kinds of interviews that I'm referring to. "I don't have any kind of ability and am an outsider in the industry, but it just WORKS. Huzzaah." It feels like the equivalent to when successful entrepreneurs gloat about how they only get 3 hours of sleep because "the grind never stops."

Anyways, I own dozens of his albums and I respect what the guy does, just unsure why he's being paraded around as the Phil Jackson of music.

Yeah, and these are the kinds of interviews that I'm referring to. "I don't have any kind of ability and am an outsider in the industry, but it just WORKS. Huzzaah." It feels like the equivalent to when successful entrepreneurs gloat about how they only get 3 hours of sleep because "the grind never stops."

Anyways, I own dozens of his albums and I respect what the guy does, just unsure why he's being paraded around as the Phil Jackson of music.
I'll agree with that. The gloating of "look how cool I am that I did all this and I didn't even know what I was doing".

That's always gonna get a big eye roll from me.

You don't put out that discography (with so many albums where an artist's sound completely changes with him no less) by being in the right place at the right time. Criticizing him for not knowing anything about music is like criticizing Steve Jobs for not knowing how to program a computer. He's got ideas and an ear and a philosophy and he put out some of greatest albums of the last 30+ years. Knowing what "does and doesnt sound good" is nothing to scoff at from a production standpoint. That's 90% of the battle there.

You don't put out that discography (with so many albums where an artist's sound completely changes with him no less) by being in the right place at the right time. Criticizing him for not knowing anything about music is like criticizing Steve Jobs for not knowing how to program a computer. He's got ideas and an ear and a philosophy and he put out some of greatest albums of the last 30+ years. Knowing what "does and doesnt sound good" is nothing to scoff at from a production standpoint. That's 90% of the battle there.
Definitely, and Jobs was somewhat polarizing for those reasons (by Wozniak especially), among other reasons.

All fair points however, perhaps it’s time I take this to the Hot Takes thread as previously suggested. May link the original post.

Back to the hip hop anthology though...

We all know it's gonna be something like a Tommy Boy anthology where a premium price gets charged and none of the artists get paid - A win win for everybody but the artists and the buyers!

I am 100% with you on this; and part of the reason is because I find his public persona to be a really, really grating affectation. A lot of his work is basically to be the sane person in the room.

Producing Metallica who at that point had spent the time between 1991 and 2008 basically showing their fans they didn't particularly feel like being a heavy metal band by crapping out everything except a heavy metal album: "hey, what if -- hear me out -- we pretend that instead of making that pop metal black album in 1991, you were writing up the logical followup to And Justice For All. But with like bass and stuff."

Rap-a-Lot would be amazing! I'll always ride for a Juice Crew anthology!

They could do an LA underground set with like Project Blowed artists, a Hiro box, a Bay Area set, a Memphis rap box, Texas, Cash Money or No Limit....there are endless possibilities...a Native Tongues set with whatever they haven't pressed yet...like a Lyricist Lounge affiliated set...

I am both excited about the possibilities and in fear of how much they'll be charging for this in 2024!!

Back