Vinyl Me Please Essentials

storf admits that he is not in charge of all curation, just the captain of the ship... but you can TELL when something is a storf pick because its clear that its not the pick we would want to have... nilson pussy cats for no reason other than he likes it and its a bros having fun album. gus cannon because he wants to complete his stax collection completely. sam hunt because he doesn't mind the frat bro toxicity of bro country. hell I memed at the ideas of simple plan and drake but they seem like they'd fit for him honestly (and for drake they'd go with certified lover boy instead of something like nothing was the same)

this has been storfs pet project for a long while (7 years possibly) and he really wants it to sell well.. i guess he thinks because there were only 500 copies and it sells for like 700 dollars on discogs its going to be something that many will definitely want.... but the thing is... people want it BECAUSE of how scarce and without reissues it has... see how the CDs are only worth like 12 dollars.. people don't want the music.. they want the rarity

I'll admit I haven't listened to this particular album but I still think this is an uncharitable take when it comes to these rare albums. They're all legitimately loved by people, even if it's a minuscule number compared to how many units Taylor Swift can move. Sure, people want the music, but you're on a vinyl-focused site. Someone wanting it on their preferred medium rather than CD shouldn't be a surprise.

The issue really is a misinterpretation by Storf of the rarity/secondary price vs the plan (putting it in Essentials) - even though we know it's a subset of collectors, just 15 people on Discogs claim to have a copy and only 217 have it in their Wantlist. If you press 500 or 1000 as an Exclusive, you're probably safely taking care of most who want it. But the ~20k you're going to press for Essentials? That's how you end up burying a pallet of records in the desert and place your company in a huge financial hole, as well.

Hilariously, they have a perfect recent example with their ODA Exclusive. VMP is selling 300 and Riding Easy, the label repressing it? Only 400. Test pressings and whatever else aside, still <1000.

Yeah, but the discord was like this is great when they were announced and any one who said it was a bad plan (like me) got railed at.
You had my back all along. I think the problem with the lucky dip boxes was they were overpriced. Things that are thrown from the back of a lorry are usually discounted significantly

The make idea is that this is going to be the October ROTM... it fits all the clues, its super rare, it is from stax, and the weirdest thing they've done in a while... It's practically storf bait

If this is really it then this will fail on the level of something like cutthroat island

Looks like someone finally found Cam’s secret crack stash… and they smoked the lot then did some curating

I like that they’re pushing out something truly lost, weird, enigmatic. They do this on only rarely and, like the Cadet box was for one of their other staff members, this is something personal for Storf. There are other choices if this doesn’t light your wick.

Storf is obviously not the best sales person. But I do like his passion.

I agree that the timing means that it the Gus pick with attract a lot of negativity from those in Rock / Country who flip to Essentials. I hope they there might be some Country subs who like the early blues / bluegrass feel of the record.

Fun times ahead as always!

i think the country audience will be fine with the pick... it feels like what storf would have put in country anyway.. but the rock voters better hope that they like willie and the poor boys (November ROTM) and a 2009 indie rock album or else they are cancelling.. especially if they are like me and think of a redneck stereotype when they see a jugband... i live in the south, this kind of hokeyness turns me off immediately

Absolutely love Willie and the Poor Boys but it feels like an exceptionally lazy pick. It's so readily available and what is even possible for VMP to do that will better Craft's half speed mastered 50th Anniversary release from 5 years ago?
That’s the thing. They had to cut rock and country cause he was getting lazy to meet deadlines… so October is a turd ( @duke86fan I don’t think I would have wanted that thing as a country record) and a lazy pick for November (one I will probably happily take unless one of the other two is amazing)

Just listened to the VMP ‘Hissing’. I’m equal parts ‘that sounds great’ and ‘that was really annoying’.

I think I might just be too lazy for 45RPM. I’d probably sacrifice a bit of sonic juiciness for the joy of sitting down a bit longer. Great pressing though
Ha this is true. I’m stoked to have it. It sounds way incredible and I’d happily buy it again. I’ll also 100% end up playing my old beat up copy more in the long run.

Back