Vinyl Me Please Essentials

First month out is a giant turd.
this has been storfs pet project for a long while (7 years possibly) and he really wants it to sell well.. i guess he thinks because there were only 500 copies and it sells for like 700 dollars on discogs its going to be something that many will definitely want.... but the thing is... people want it BECAUSE of how scarce and without reissues it has... see how the CDs are only worth like 12 dollars.. people don't want the music.. they want the rarity

this has been storfs pet project for a long while (7 years possibly) and he really wants it to sell well.. i guess he thinks because there were only 500 copies and it sells for like 700 dollars on discogs its going to be something that many will definitely want.... but the thing is... people want it BECAUSE of how scarce and without reissues it has... see how the CDs are only worth like 12 dollars.. people don't want the music.. they want the rarity
I listened to aproximately 2 minutes of it and said “EVEN AS A GIANT STAX FAN, nope”

to be fair its incredibly different from anything stax has done... i don't think stax is well known for its hokey redneck music.. the kinda music that screams to me why I hate country or "hillbilly" culture
I mean I have some psychedelic rock stuff that Stax put out. This, however, was a fucking travesty.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS A REISSUE.

I used to get swept up in the “rare private press lp get deluxe reissue” wave but more often than not when I buy stuff like that it doesn’t end up getting much play. That being said there are a few that I really love and am thankful for.

I am not familiar with this album at all, it seems alright. But I just assume pick up some blues record with a cool cover for $6 at my local and would probably get the same mileage out of it while saving $40.

I think responding to @duke86fan with a ‘I don’t give a fuck’ gif is troublesome for a company that is supposed to listening to the views and concerns of customers. I’m all for making this available but this is a terrible essentials pick. Even if it grabbed me why would I pick it up at the full cost of a monthly sub when this one will definitely be hanging around the store for ages. And I come to this after arguably the best double header of classics (Isaac and Joni) at least since Gorrilaz and Fiona.

I think responding to @duke86fan with a ‘I don’t give a fuck’ gif is troublesome for a company that is supposed to listening to the views and concerns of customers. I’m all for making this available but this is a terrible essentials pick. Even if it grabbed me why would I pick it up at the full cost of a monthly sub when this one will definitely be hanging around the store for ages. And I come to this after arguably the best double header of classics (Isaac and Joni) at least since Gorrilaz and Fiona.
Really. What a dick.

did i miss something.. my memory is great.. i just assume storf just doesn't care what a lot of the haters say.. mostly because we kinda got too intense at times (being fatphobic as a possible example). storf admits that the curation isn't a one person show, and that albums like the December ROTM were picked by cyd and transatlanticism was one of the staff members and some hip hop will be pauly.. but when it is a 100% storf pick it kinda shows and he has a very.. contrary taste for most people

did i miss something.. my memory is great.. i just assume storf just doesn't care what a lot of the haters say.. mostly because we kinda got too intense at times (being fatphobic as a possible example). storf admits that the curation isn't a one person show, and that albums like the December ROTM were picked by cyd and transatlanticism was one of the staff members and some hip hop will be pauly.. but when it is a 100% storf pick it kinda shows and he has a very.. contrary taste for most people
Read whatever you want into it, it’s only a degree or two below “what would you do with more time?”

When do they actually announce the new quarter so I can decide what I want to do with whatever amount of sub I have left?

I think the Discord is unhelpful as it is a total echo chamber of the emoji brigade with 12 albums being the best Classic album of the year and every release hyped to distraction. Here is more critical sure but I do find N&G fair. When they do good we say so. When they make sensible decisions we also say so. If someone has a dissenting viewpoint here on any topic they are listened to. I think the Vault boxes was one of the worst blunders VMP decided on in recent times. Everyone here could see the issues from a mile off but the Discord kept any opposing views silenced.

Back