Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Can someone explain Slowthai to me? I'm really struggling to click with it. It just sounds off-kilter, or mismatched to my ear.
I've been listening to UK hiphop & grime for a really long time now basically since its inception so my ear is probably better tuned to it. Being Irish I'm a close neighbour to the UK and grew up with UK tv too so it may be more accessible for me personally. Are there any other similar artists in the genre you enjoy? I'm just trying to gauge where your coming from with it

I've been listening to UK hiphop & grime for a really long time now basically since its inception so my ear is probably better tuned to it. Being Irish I'm a close neighbour to the UK and grew up with UK tv too so it may be more accessible for me personally. Are there any other similar artists in the genre you enjoy? I'm just trying to gauge where your coming from with it
I don't think I have much in the way of UK hip-hop other than a couple of Little Simz records, which I quite enjoy.

I don't think I have much in the way of UK hip-hop other than a couple of Little Simz records, which I quite enjoy.
Ok that's fair. Actually now that I think of it. This Slowthai didnt click with me immediately, I forgot that so it could be just one of those. Now though I think it's incredible. I personally think for the first time ever UK hiphop has been better overall than the US. I've been closely watching both for 26+ years

Ok that's fair. Actually now that I think of it. This Slowthai didnt click with me immediately, I forgot that so it could be just one of those. Now though I think it's incredible. I personally think for the first time ever UK hiphop has been better overall than the US. I've been closely watching both for 26+ years
Lemme slam that bad boy on and give it another listen.

Tbf grime is fairly different from most modern hip hop, focused on fast tempos (basically double time an average song by say jay z), a very harsh more brittle electronic instrumentation taken from UK dance music, usually the accent is pretty thick compared to say Latin artists doing hip hop, and it is often very much dirty and more bleak even in its more party songs like Octavian (if you like the more tropical and less experimental stuff party here would be a decent starter) or stormzy

For Slowthai, I'd recommend Dizzee Rascal's Boy In Da Corner as an excellent primer (Slowthai name checks him and this album in the first verse) and it's the peak of the subgenre. While I love the first two Streets albums (probably more than Dizzee), they aren't as representative.
Because of Band Aid 20, I can’t help but expect Dizzee Rascal to come in and do his lines whenever I hear the original version of “Do They Know It’s Christmas”

J Dilla fans who aren’t as keen on Donuts... what are your favorite albums of his?

I love The Shining but that’s after he passed. Always enjoyed what Pete Rock was able to assemble on Jay Stay Paid too.

Personally love his debut album Welcome 2 Detroit..His most all around record as he raps the most on it.

The Lost Scrolls vol. 1 is a nice little under heard / under appreciated EP.

Ruff Draft also so good it’s hard to separate them all.. Jay Love Japan too..

In terms of just production it becomes super hard to narrow down.. Yancey Boys by Illa J is some amazing unused old beats by Dilla and always stuck with me. As did his Dela/Tribe contributions. Or Q-Tip’s - Amplified or Common’s Like Water For Chocolate.. Loved that

I’ve spent many a days going down Dilla rabbit holes finding all his randomly used beats.. Like when he worked with Proof and made ‘Da Science’ - always loved that song/beat. Or that time Busta didn’t use that one Biggie feature and shelved ‘The Ugliest’ cause of the Pac beef and it was one of my fav Dilla beats to never be used officially.. Or the beat for Common’s original ‘Be’ intro song for the album of the same name.. YouTube that song (Common - Be original Dilla) as much as everyone loves Kanye’s Be intro beat I prefer the Dilla chop on his version, just so beautiful. KING OF THE CHOP!

Last edited:
Back