Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Let’s hope Storf was looking at Discogs! Because we aren’t getting any 1995 Classics from Raekwon, GZA, Big L, Mobb Deep, O.D.B., DJ Quik or AZ!

I just want to get a really good 1995 hip-hop ROTM because that year was a golden year in hip-hop in my opinion!

What's your favorite 95 release? For me it would have to be Do You Want More by The Roots.

What's your favorite 95 release? For me it would have to be Do You Want More by The Roots.
Omg, I absolutely love that album so much! Love spinning it too! I love Groove Theory, D’Angelo & Erykah Badu so that album is one of my faves of 1995! 😍

My favourite is Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx! My love for that album is so intense! The production and bars on that album are just 🔥🔥🔥

Omg, I absolutely love that album so much! Love spinning it too! I love Groove Theory, D’Angelo & Erykah Badu so that album is one of my faves of 1995! 😍

My favourite is Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx! My love for that album is so intense! The production and bars on that album are just 🔥🔥🔥

One of my favorite as well as Liquid Swords of course. Few weeks ago got the GetOnDown release of OBFCL. Not the greatest pressing but still good and was on sale.

One of my favorite as well as Liquid Swords of course. Few weeks ago got the GetOnDown release of OBFCL. Not the greatest pressing but still good and was on sale.
I’ve got the Music On Vinyl pressing which sounds good, but I definitely want the album to get the VMP treatment! GZA’s Liquid Swords is my second favourite and I’d also love that album to get the VMP treatment too even though I have it!

Discogs say 95, Wiki says 96, so depends on what website Storf was skimming when he fired off the clue.

Has VMP's research ever extended past wiki? I don't even think Storf knows what Discogs is

Informal poll. Who has the MOV Only Built For Cuban Linx and if you have it, how does it sound? The black or the limited color.
I have it and I think it actually sounds great! It’s like the MOV Mobb Deep ‘Infamous’ pressing in that it sounds great, detailed and balanced. However, the VMP pressing of Mobb Deep’s The Infamous did sound a bit better, in that it had a better/more open soundstage! Overall, the MOV Only Built For Cuban Linx sounds good, not compressed and does the album justice!

It’s not going to be anything special like that Prince Paul VMP pressing though.

Informal poll. Who has the MOV Only Built For Cuban Linx and if you have it, how does it sound? The black or the limited color.
I’ve got the black copy. Aside from the sleeve not being gatefold like the Get On Down reissue, I have absolutely no reason to complain. The album sounds great. No issues with surface noise either. Definitely worth the extra few bucks I paid for it instead of the Get On Down pressing. Would highly recommend!

maybe we should all tweet "fuck you storf" once its done
Aww hey look, Storf doesn't do himself any favors with his social media uhh, attitude... but c'mon, i don't think he's a bad dude. Picking albums every month that like 30,000 subscribers will all like is a thoroughly thankless job. There's no winning that battle. In my opinion, the biggest problem with VMP is their systems. In terms of ROTMS and tracks and options per month there isn't a single other record of the month club that even comes close in terms of options per month or transparency of mastering and pressing details... I mean there just isn't. Sure they are an ABSOLUTE disaster in terms of shipping and fulfillment but when you look at the fact that they are trying to come up with THREE albums every month that 30,000 people will want... that's nigh on impossible. I really hope they get their systems sorted but in my opinion their acquisitions team is incredible. When you're talking about getting the licenses to press various artists and albums, that shit isn't easy and man if they don't nail some seriously huge releases, pretty frequently. Look I don't have De Stijl yet, and it pisses me off. But they actually convinced Jack White, who owns a massive pressing plant, to allow them to press arguably HIS most famous album and that is honestly some impressive shit. Yeah the prices are getting high but find me another ROTM club that puts out pressings that rival Analogue Productions or Mofi pressings on a monthly basis. As far as I know, unless you're spending hundreds a month, there isn't one.

Aww hey look, Storf doesn't do himself any favors with his social media uhh, attitude... but c'mon, i don't think he's a bad dude. Picking albums every month that like 30,000 subscribers will all like is a thoroughly thankless job. There's no winning that battle. In my opinion, the biggest problem with VMP is their systems. In terms of ROTMS and tracks and options per month there isn't a single other record of the month club that even comes close in terms of options per month or transparency of mastering and pressing details... I mean there just isn't. Sure they are an ABSOLUTE disaster in terms of shipping and fulfillment but when you look at the fact that they are trying to come up with THREE albums every month that 30,000 people will want... that's nigh on impossible. I really hope they get their systems sorted but in my opinion their acquisitions team is incredible. When you're talking about getting the licenses to press various artists and albums, that shit isn't easy and man if they don't nail some seriously huge releases, pretty frequently. Look I don't have De Stijl yet, and it pisses me off. But they actually convinced Jack White, who owns a massive pressing plant, to allow them to press arguably HIS most famous album and that is honestly some impressive shit. Yeah the prices are getting high but find me another ROTM club that puts out pressings that rival Analogue Productions or Mofi pressings on a monthly basis. As far as I know, unless you're spending hundreds a month, there isn't one.
I agree with all of this 100%! VMP is a disaster when it comes to shipping, fulfilment and communication with their customers when there is a delay with an exclusive etc, but they are great with listing the mastering and pressing details of their exclusives! Overall, VMP is impressive like you said with what they achieve! And Storf isn't a bad dude. I love Storf! His attitude/personality can rub people the wrong way, but I like that he still gives us clues and can be a bit cheeky. And yes, having the Classics add-on for only USD$23 (free shipping) is unbeatable value! They sound just as good as the 33RPM Analogue Productions pressings I have! I love VMP so much and am so happy that it seems like they are still going strong as a company! (y)

Back