Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Black bear. It didn’t seem aggressive, just curious. A passing car had actually tried to warn me but I guess I had the headphones on too loud
There’s something sort of comical about being chased by a bear and not realizing it because you’re listening to Lord Finesse too loudly lol.

I’ve had to chase off a black bear while hiking. They seem to be pretty timid.

I was only referring to that one track as being something that went hard. From an overall album stand point it's not in the top 25 from that year.
I know, I was just joking.

I wouldn't call it an essential classic, but acting like it is wack, or acting like The Source didn't underrate/overrate plenty of things is pretty silly. Sure, there isn't a ton of coverage of it and that's understandable, but general opinion of it retroactively seems to be positive where I can find it, for what it's worth. Agree that the lyrics are the weak point, but they're not bad by any means and the beats are great.

I think how many bad picks (for me) VMP has had makes me want this one more, even though outside of the club format where I have to pick something, I would definitely be prioritizing my top 50 90s hip hop albums. I hope a company comes along and starts doing excellent reissues with good mastering for all of those.

Edit: I think Word...Life may have been a better DITC pick, which The Source also underrated and even admitted themselves at a later date.

Last edited:
I know, I was just joking.

I wouldn't call it an essential classic, but acting like it is wack, or acting like The Source didn't underrate/overrate plenty of things is pretty silly. Sure, there isn't a ton of coverage of it and that's understandable, but general opinion of it retroactively seems to be positive where I can find it, for what it's worth. Agree that the lyrics are the weak point, but they're not bad by any means and the beats are great.

I think how many bad picks (for me) VMP has had makes me want this one more, even though outside of the club format where I have to pick something, I would definitely be prioritizing my top 50 90s hip hop albums. I hope a company comes along and starts doing excellent reissues with good mastering for all of those.

Edit: I think Word...Life may have been a better DITC pick, which The Source also underrated and even admitted themselves at a later date.
It's not whack. But It's above average and totally not memorable. Buying this album used for $8, sure. Buying for $30, nah. Maybe the source gave it a half mic too little if I want to be generous. In no time frame is this album a 4 or higher mic album though. For those of you that will get spins out of this album, kudos. For me it's a hard pass.

It's not whack. But It's above average and totally not memorable. Buying this album used for $8, sure. Buying for $30, nah. Maybe the source gave it a half mic too little if I want to be generous. In no time frame is this album a 4 or higher mic album though. For those of you that will get spins out of this album, kudos. For me it's a hard pass.
Sure. I guess for me, most of VMPs RHH picks haven't been solid 7/7.5s, so that's a win for them for me I guess. I get you on the price, just wish it was still a thing to get decent shape 90s vinyl for $8, but it definitely isn't around here or online.

Sure. I guess for me, most of VMPs RHH picks haven't been solid 7/7.5s, so that's a win for them for me I guess.
I can understand this perspective for sure. I guess for me it comes down to, if this months pick isn’t one of the best 100 or 150(to be generous) rap albums of all time, WHY ARE THEY WASTING OUR TIME??? I like this album but it would have a hard time making it into a best 1000 list. How much room do they think we have in our houses?

I can understand this perspective for sure. I guess for me it comes down to, if this months pick isn’t one of the best 100 or 150(to be generous) rap albums of all time, WHY ARE THEY WASTING OUR TIME??? I like this album but it would have a hard time making it into a best 1000 list. How much room do they think we have in our houses?
Yeah, that's always been my problem with the club. I don't get how people can do three tracks. I don't think anyone has the Classics pick on their top 50 funk albums, and I love funk, but I'm not sure I need 50 60/70s funk albums. It is rare I want something every month, because there is something higher on my list that I should probably be getting most of the time, and my budget is (supposed to be) pretty slim. I need a new Kallax too, just need to figure out where to put it...

Sooooo, I think I'm a bit behind here... Are we sure it's on there? How does that track list prove it? Not being a dick I just wanted to confirm its there...
I don't think they've said anything. For some reason they moved track 8 from the B side on the original release to the A side, so it's probably not on the A side, like the original. They could have copied the CD tracklist and put it at the end, but that would make Side A about 22 minutes and Side B almost 30 minutes, so I'm gonna say nope, they left it off, which sucks. They should have done a 7" or a 2x45.

I don't think they've said anything. For some reason they moved track 8 from the B side on the original release to the A side, so it's definitely not on the A side, like the original. They could have copied the CD tracklist and put it at the end, but that would make Side A about 22 minutes and Side B almost 30 minutes, so I'm gonna say nope, they left it off, which sucks. They should have done a 7" or a 2x45.
Unless maybe it's after track 8 on the A side yes? That would work with the length per side would it not? And would be the reason they switched 8 to side A, so they could allow for the bonus track to be in the original spot on the album. That would leave about 26 minutes on side A and something like 24 on side B... I think...

Well, then it would be 27/24, which is a little better, I guess, you're right. I was thinking about that and changed definitely to probably while you were replying. :ROFLMAO:
Haha I mean it's still pretty tight but I think I've got a few albums from VMP that are in that range. Might affect the bass a bit having the grooves that tight together though which would be a shame since it hits pretty hard.

Back