Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

As someone who has been a heavy cannabis user in the past and still dabbles from time to time, my experience is that the moment is fleeting, whatever it is that you're doing while under its influence, and then difficult to remember afterward anyway so... what was the point? Everyone has their own experiences I suppose. For example, I did LSD once and watched myself "aging" (I really thought this was happening visually) in the mirror for a few hours and then just wanted it to stop. I was a mess mentally for weeks afterward and never touched the stuff again.

I hear what you're saying.

As someone who did touch the stuff again -- A LOT -- and is literally using the still photo of a scene from a documentary where a man talks about hallucinating as a huffing addict as my avatar, it just sounds incredibly reckless and... I don't know... not to sound condescending or shitty, but kind of an immature mindset to be pitching that idea to others that doing drugs to experience music is the way to go. It might seem novelty if you have limited experience. And, by that, I don't even mean to imply that I know what someone's experiences extend to or that they are specifically related to how many times someone has "smoked weed" and put on a record, but let me know when you start racking up the dead friends, or if you've ever seen somebody get so fucked that they wind up with thrush as an adult and are climbing out of their hospital bed to go through the sharps container on the wall to find dilaudid to shoot into the IV in their neck.

The fact that I don't know the experiences of others is actually kind of the point, though. Without knowing them, I don't think it's a great idea to blindly subscribe potentially altering their entire existence and trajectory of their life. It feels like the first half of an after school special in here.

I hear what you're saying.

As someone who did touch the stuff again -- A LOT -- and is literally using the still photo of a scene from a documentary where a man talks about hallucinating as a huffing addict as my avatar, it just sounds incredibly reckless and... I don't know... not to sound condescending or shitty, but kind of an immature mindset to be pitching that idea to others that doing drugs to experience music is the way to go. It might seem novelty if you have limited experience. And, by that, I don't even mean to imply that I know what someone's experiences extend to or that they are specifically related to how many times someone has "smoked weed" and put on a record, but let me know when you start racking up the dead friends, or if you've ever seen somebody get so fucked that they wind up with thrush as an adult and are climbing out of their hospital bed to go through the sharps container on the wall to find dilaudid to shoot into the IV in their neck.

The fact that I don't know the experiences of others is actually kind of the point, though. Without knowing them, I don't think it's a great idea to blindly subscribe potentially altering their entire existence and trajectory of their life. It feels like the first half of an after school special in here.
If you will travel back in the thread you will see that Nathan was talking about trying weed for his first time. I was supplying him with a suggestion to enjoy it for his first time in a familiar and comfortable environment. I’m not advertising rampant drug use for the unwilling, don’t be ridiculous. Also I think we’re all adults here and are capable of taking what we read on the internet with a grain of salt. I’m not even recommending LSD to people here, I have seen two friends completely unravel and expedite early onset mental disorders upon themselves as a result of using it. I have lost friends and family at a shockingly young age to both prescription and hard drugs but even still, we are all adults capable of making our own decisions and we’re here on earth to do just that. Recommending someone to smoke some weed and listen to a record hardly sounds like a reckless idea.

If you will travel back in the thread you will see that Nathan was talking about trying weed for his first time. I was supplying him with a suggestion to enjoy it for his first time in a familiar and comfortable environment. I’m not advertising rampant drug use for the unwilling, don’t be ridiculous. Also I think we’re all adults here and are capable of taking what we read on the internet with a grain of salt. I’m not even recommending LSD to people here, I have seen two friends completely unravel and expedite early onset mental disorders upon themselves as a result of using it. I have lost friends and family at a shockingly young age to both prescription and hard drugs but even still, we are all adults capable of making our own decisions and we’re here on earth to do just that. Recommending someone to smoke some weed and listen to a record hardly sounds like a reckless idea.
You'll get no flack from me on weed use. I'd rather see people doing that daily than drinking from a public health standpoint. I guess for me, it had a place in my life for a time and now not so much. I imagine that's a fairly common life progression. I know I enjoyed myself on many occasions while fairly high and listening to music. They just aren't memories that are all that tangible to me now.

I see what you mean, but I also use that same philosophy of the moment fleeting to just hang out and enjoy the experience of listening to this record I’ve become so familiar with in a new setting! Don’t do it too often though but living in California it happens from time to time hahaha. As for LSD I’m in a similar boat, haven’t touched it in a loooong time. 12 hours of intense altered states is just too long. Can’t guarantee you’ll stay in a great headspace for that long so I feel it always ends up spiraling out at some point

A few things. I used to eat LSD pretty much every day. Looking in a mirror is the type of shit that I'd do on purpose. I was more of an ego smasher than looking for trippy rainbows. If you can't look at yourself... well... it's a pretty loaded statement. But, yes you can get yourself stuck as time and dimensions meld and evaporate. I had a theory that, beyond being forced to acknowledge mortality, death, and gradual human decay, there's an additional element where, when you look into a mirror, you are expecting to see something. Depending on your age, you have, most likely, looked into the mirror any number of times and seen a different face staring back at you, whether that deals with an evolution of haircuts and style changes, or simply you in various ages. So, when I'd look into the mirror, my expectations drawn from memory are merging and conflicting with whatever was in front of me and warping through time. You are trying to see YOU and might realize that you don't even know who that is.

But...

Anyway. My point is that everybody is different. That's exactly why I'm not about broadly encouraging anyone to do anything, unless I personally know them and am with them. I knew people who lost their shit and were jailed. I also know people who have done much worse.

Now, I'm just a dad. I don't even smoke cigarettes and, although I don't NOT drink, I can't remember the last time that I had a beer. There's not even a conscious effort, just not really any desire the most part. I don't think about it. But, as a father watching my 8-year-old lose his mind to the Phish live streams on Tuesday, I'm also forced to think about the type of shit I did following that band around the country and how I'd prefer him not to do most of it.

Yeah avoiding mirrors has always been top of my list of not-to-dos while on psychedelics 😂. Looked in the mirror once, made eye contact and felt if I didn’t break the gaze I’d be trapped in the mirror for eternity 😂😂😂
I took 6 gel tabs before my senior graduation lock in at the high school (they wanted to keep us from drinking; mission accomplished) but the best part was we gotta go swimming at the Nauditorium about the time I peaked. Floating in a pool was amazing. That being said, I enjoyed swimming before LSD too I think any sensual activity be it music or swimming or staring at a wall can theoretically be enhanced by psychedelics but you have to admit most are pretty great already without it.

Thanks for that. I'm looking back now and agree that context is definitely important . I, admittedly, only looked at the specific comment that Nathan made that you were responding to. That being said, the one thing that it felt was missing from your comment was the "if." As in, "IF" you decided to do that, you might want to be aware of x and y and try it out for the first time in an environment that you're comfortable in, because people react differently. Since you're a music fan, maybe put on a record that you enjoy.

Maybe, at that point of the conversation, you didn't feel that was necessary, because, now that I look back, I see that other comments from @Murfocakes and @blenoxsmith made sure to include those disclaimers.

Some people it agrees with, others it causes lots of anxiety.
My advice is take it really slow. A great thing about the marijuana being legal in many places now is that you can read the packaging and know exactly how much THC / CBD you are consuming. I'd recommend trying a low dose, like 5mg of THC, maybe a gummy, then wait an hour and a half to see how you feel before you potentially try more.

Most people I know who have a serious aversion to marijuana went overboard this one time, had a horrible experience full of paranoia, and swear it off for life.

Also, it definitely can induce anxiety and paranoia with some people/personalities, that's the other reason to try a small amount first. But again, I feel like the serious paranoia stories always come from overdoing it. This is one of the fascinating things about THC / CBD, while some people experience anxiety from consuming it - for others it is literally their medicine to help calm their anxiety.

I'm not discounting the possibility that it might just be how I, personally, interpreted it, but your comment felt more like outright encouraging someone to do it, rather than advice about how to do it IF they did it. The LSD jump you made is on you. A lot of those artists that created so much of that shit -- the ones that survived, anyway -- will tell you that they were mistaken by that belief that they needed those substances and the fear that they couldn't operate without it almost killed them. So, that's why I have an aversion to promoting that idea, as well. Zappa didn't even fuck with drugs. Lil Wayne drinks lean like a junkie, but I don't think that's a great overall idea to perpetuate that you can't fully experience or create something without that.

Got an email that Just Coolin' from Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers is delayed till September due to Covid. I thought I got a previous one that it was delayed but I can't remember the month they were aiming for.

Got an email that Just Coolin' from Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers is delayed till September due to Covid. I thought I got a previous one that it was delayed but I can't remember the month they were aiming for.
Yeah, me too. Previous email said September too, from what I remember.

Lots of delays from VMP...

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin'

• Shipping month changed from May to September
Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music

• Expected ship date is currently TBD
Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (Box Set)

• Shipping month changed from May to July
Courtney Marie Andrews - Old Flowers

• The street date has been moved from May 6th to July 24th. We expect this to ship in August.
David Gray - White Ladder

• Expected to ship in May
NNAMDÏ - BRAT

• The street date has been pushed, exact date TBD but estimating it will be within the June-July timeframe.

Makes it even funnier that they are sending some proceeds from Whitney to charity since it won't even ship until July now...

Whether it was intentional or not, I think that from a literary perspective the symmetry of talking about the import of looking at yourself in the mirror, and the reflections caused by watching your son, was pretty great. Real circle of life shit. He'll appreciate that someday when he's old enough for you to tell him.

The conversations get pretty heavy already. We've gone down some wacky tunnels.

This is a new advertising tactic and attempt to move product for VMP...buy this box set that nobody is buying because it's way too expensive and we will give a portion of the proceeds to charity...

View attachment 45662
Lots of delays from VMP...

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin'

• Shipping month changed from May to September
Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music

• Expected ship date is currently TBD
Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (Box Set)

• Shipping month changed from May to July
Courtney Marie Andrews - Old Flowers

• The street date has been moved from May 6th to July 24th. We expect this to ship in August.
David Gray - White Ladder

• Expected to ship in May
NNAMDÏ - BRAT

• The street date has been pushed, exact date TBD but estimating it will be within the June-July timeframe.

Makes it even funnier that they are sending some proceeds from Whitney to charity since it won't even ship until July now...
I love how they are pushing a Whitney Houston box set for charity that they are so delayed on that it's just TBD.

Also, since we've already diverted so far off course... if anyone is interested, I did write a couple of excruciatingly wordy, essay-length pieces examining LSD. One was based around studies done in the 1950s and, more specifically, a video featuring a housewife that was filmed after ingesting some L-25. It kind of covers why/where/when the study was done and the history of the people behind it, along with anecdotes about its initial use as treatments for such things as addiction, etc. From what I remember, there's probably some of my own wingnut theories in there pertaining to such things as watching your face melt in a bathroom mirror.

This other one is a review of a graphic novel, of sorts, about Bicycle Day and the discovery of LSD by Albert Hoffman. It's a book review, but I'm also an obsessive, so there's still a decent amount of information packed into it to fill it out.

Also, since we've already diverted so far off course... if anyone is interested, I did write a couple of excruciatingly wordy, essay-length pieces examining LSD. One was based around studies done in the 1950s and, more specifically, a video featuring a housewife that was filmed after ingesting some L-25. It kind of covers why/where/when the study was done and the history of the people behind it, along with anecdotes about its initial use as treatments for such things as addiction, etc. From what I remember, there's probably some of my own wingnut theories in there pertaining to such things as watching your face melt in a bathroom mirror.

This other one is a review of a graphic novel, of sorts, about Bicycle Day and the discovery of LSD by Albert Hoffman. It's a book review, but I'm also an obsessive, so there's still a decent amount of information packed into it to fill it out.

Bicycle Day is great graphic novel.
Also, Here is a link to Hofmann’s notes regarding his self experimentation...

Back