Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I've worked for so many companies that did this. Great at the startup phase, but no idea how to run things at the next level so they just flounder and flop around for years never knowing why nothing works the way it should. It's different skill sets. But I'm also for more small companies and fewer behemoths. We need that diversity and innovation. One of the reasons I was sad to see Bandbox go belly up.

Yes totally. It’s one reason why the clubs that come from huge labels have a different feeling and are often more just a different store front for variants than anything else.

What I would say is that even still they are not an enormous company, it’s just that they hit the zeitgeist by having the right product at the right time, blew up quicker than they were ready for but then just never addressed that. They don’t need to aim for eternal growth, that’s neither healthy or realistic, but they do need to expand to service the growth they had 6 years ago.

It all kinda plays into it though and even with something that is subjective having a main player, or a small group led by a main player, things get stale and samey. More so when that main player has some pretty strong opinions that don’t always have the strongest rationale behind them.

I’d love a club this size to have more female voices and even more voices with older or non US focuses. And by old I don’t mean boomers, there’s enough of that everywhere, but that big 80s and 90s period that seems to often fall between all the vinyl cracks. Hell even an Anglophile would probably radically transform their curation and Britain is probably the second most powerful player after the states in terms of producing lots of acts and recorded music.
Really unsure why NO reissue labels seem to be regularly reissuing UK acts. I sort of get it with VMP--they are a US-based company and I'd bet that their subscriber base is largely American. With my wife being a Brit, it's funny to see the types of UK bands that made it huge here or the US bands that made it huge in the UK. Lots of stuff I would have never expected crossed over.

I'd love to see more UK bands as well though and more 80s. Are there any UK reissue labels focusing on 80s/90s UK bands? Maybe I'm just not aware of them. Even in the US, 80s and 90s stuff is still pretty ignored in the reissue game. Intervention has tried to do a bunch but they are the only audiophile type label I know that tries to hit that niche which is a shame. Don't really understand the reasoning behind it.

They feel like a start up who were always gearing toward getting bought and ramped up in a way to try and achieve that. When that didn’t happen, they had become an overextended company lacking in infrastructure to support what they’d become. I’d love to see their balance sheets at this point.
Seems like the VMP board would love to see the balance sheets too :ROFLMAO:

Really unsure why NO reissue labels seem to be regularly reissuing UK acts. I sort of get it with VMP--they are a US-based company and I'd bet that their subscriber base is largely American. With my wife being a Brit, it's funny to see the types of UK bands that made it huge here or the US bands that made it huge in the UK. Lots of stuff I would have never expected crossed over.

I'd love to see more UK bands as well though and more 80s. Are there any UK reissue labels focusing on 80s/90s UK bands? Maybe I'm just not aware of them. Even in the US, 80s and 90s stuff is still pretty ignored in the reissue game. Intervention has tried to do a bunch but they are the only audiophile type label I know that tries to hit that niche which is a shame. Don't really understand the reasoning behind it.

The clubs like VMP have all started quick and then failed within 2 years. It’s generally the bigger acts self releasing and the mid level artists depending on their label picking up on anniversary. Only the ones on factory, that was bought out by London that is warners, are getting regular releases on rhino.

I’m going to need to find a third record also. Between a referral credit and using a referral link I’ve got the 3 months for about $60 so decided to give the Joni a try and get the Little Richard one. Scraping around a bit for a third though….
Did you get Black Moses? That one turned out great. Sly and the Family Stone is real good. Can't remember if you like country but the Kris Kristofferson record gets a lot of spins for me too.

Did you get Black Moses? That one turned out great. Sly and the Family Stone is real good. Can't remember if you like country but the Kris Kristofferson record gets a lot of spins for me too.

Have sly. Not keen on country. I’m between that Isaac Hayes, but I’m not his biggest fan, or getting the Stevie Nicks to replace my rhino but that does seem a bit mad, I like that rhino. We wil see.

Yes totally. It’s one reason why the clubs that come from huge labels have a different feeling and are often more just a different store front for variants than anything else.

What I would say is that even still they are not an enormous company, it’s just that they hit the zeitgeist by having the right product at the right time, blew up quicker than they were ready for but then just never addressed that. They don’t need to aim for eternal growth, that’s neither healthy or realistic, but they do need to expand to service the growth they had 6 years ago.
the problem is when you take outside funding and have investors, you DO need eternal growth. and the VMP management doesn't really seem to think things through very often aside from "let's do this--that would be cool". and there's nobody experienced to say "no we shouldn't do that" or even to execute those ideas properly if they do go through.

the problem is when you take outside funding and have investors, you DO need eternal growth. and the VMP management doesn't really seem to think things through very often aside from "let's do this--that would be cool". and there's nobody experienced to say "no we shouldn't do that" or even to execute those ideas properly if they do go through.

Which is why the planet is in the toilet and we’re eternally depressed.

We’re far too obsessed with immediate returns and dividends and nowhere near obsessed enough with reinvestment and steady and sustainable growth of the overall company capital.

Ditto on those three. If it's still around the Bone Thugs was the last one that really did it for me except for the ones they did great on in the Rock track. Newman was right to talk up the Heart release and convince me to get that too, since I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have.

Have sly. Not keen on country. I’m between that Isaac Hayes, but I’m not his biggest fan, or getting the Stevie Nicks to replace my rhino but that does seem a bit mad, I like that rhino. We wil see.
Not sure if you're a Heart fan but I hear that's a good one - when I eventually hop back in to burn off my account credit I'm hoping to get Black Moses and Heart, just hoping they both don't sell out before they announce something somewhat decent to be my third record. Maybe I need to give that Joni a listen..:

Not sure if you're a Heart fan but I hear that's a good one - when I eventually hop back in to burn off my account credit I'm hoping to get Black Moses and Heart, just hoping they both don't sell out before they announce something somewhat decent to be my third record. Maybe I need to give that Joni a listen..:
If you need a referral….. 😏

Joking aside, Black Moses really is excellent. Not sure stock check on that and Heart…but if I see anything about them going low will let ya know

View attachment 207115

What the hell does this even mean? The record is the record. It doesn’t change with each listen.

“This new reissue beautifully presents the album in a way that can be appreciated by the oldest head, and the newest appreciator of the New York of old”

What the hell does this even mean? The record is the record. It doesn’t change with each listen.

“This new reissue beautifully presents the album in a way that can be appreciated by the oldest head, and the newest appreciator of the New York of old”
You’ll notice PRP surface noise in different spots on each spin!

Back