Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

agreed, It´s mostly older rotms, so they are probably trying to reduce costs by getting rid of dead stock. Probably sold it at cost or with a little loss to hhv generaing both income and shelf space.

To be honest, it would not be a bad move to make HHV their "support" for Europe. They could reduce their shipping costs by having a certain number of records shipped to one and only location, they can touch a wider audience and avoid all the issues they have with replacing damaged records.

To be honest, it would not be a bad move to make HHV their "support" for Europe. They could reduce their shipping costs by having a certain number of records shipped to one and only location, they can touch a wider audience and avoid all the issues they have with replacing damaged records.
yes, but it takes from their subsription model if you can just go and buy the records you like from a european retailer.

You think HHV wants to deal with being the CS fulfillment center for VMP in Europe?

yes, but it takes from their subsription model if you can just go and buy the records you like from a european retailer.
I imagine this is by design. They probably wouldn’t mind getting rid of the international subscription model in favor or something like selling HHV stock at wholesale price. I’d bet they make more money on US subs price per unit than they do on international once shipping is taken into account.

I don’t know why people think VMP is selling these for pennies on the dollar here to HHV. They are definitely still making a bunch of money on these. Wholesale cost doesn’t mean at cost. Even if wholesale is 30%-40% off, VMP’s markup is more than that.

You think HHV wants to deal with being the CS fulfillment center for VMP in Europe?

I imagine this is by design. They probably wouldn’t mind getting rid of the international subscription model in favor or something like selling HHV stock at wholesale price. I’d bet they make more money on US subs price per unit than they do on international once shipping is taken into account.

I don’t know why people think VMP is selling these for pennies on the dollar here to HHV. They are definitely still making a bunch of money on these. Wholesale cost doesn’t mean at cost. Even if wholesale is 30%-40% off, VMP’s markup is more than that.

Would depend on how many European subscribers VMP have.

I could imagine that. i always wondered when i was a subscriber a while back in how many different packages they would split orders even for intl customers. Dealing with this and the shipping could mean that they are not really sorry about intl customers going.

Basically assumed this from HHV selling those at 35 $.. They have to pay at least 20% customs and import duties( i guess hshipping is neglible). but Given they have a bunch of stuff in there that is probably unsellable at those prices ( jujus alchemy, lapsley, a bunch of store exclusives...) i would guess that they will have to have to make a margin of 10-20% on the record as well to earn something with the records ( maybe more given that they will only be able to sell many of those discounted)

Last edited:
I could imagine that. i always wondered when i was a subscriber a while back in how many different packages they would split orders even for intl customers. Dealing with this and the shipping could mean that they are not really sorry about intl customers going.

Basically asumed this from HHV selling those at 35 $.. They have to pay at least 20% customs and import duties( i guess hshipping is neglible). but Given they have a bunch of stuff in there that is probably unsellable at those prices ( jujus alchemy, lapsley, a bunch of store exclusives...) i would guess that they will have to have to make a margin of 10-20% on the record as well to earn something with the records ( maybe more given that they will only be able to sell many of those discounted)
VMP was selling $35 records at 40% off, gave away 10 free records to each yearly subscriber (with the referral bonus, a yearly membership in the US last year worked out to around $17 per record including shipping) and they were likely still making profit. These do not cost anywhere near $35 for VMP to produce. And stuff like Juju was even less to produce since they made them years ago before prices went up across the board with manufacturing, unless I missed a recent repress of that one.

I'd be VERY surprised if VMP is dumping these at cost to HHV for HHV to turn around and sell them for $35.

VMP was selling $35 records at 40% off, gave away 10 free records to each yearly subscriber (with the referral bonus, a yearly membership in the US last year worked out to around $17 per record including shipping) and they were likely still making profit. These do not cost anywhere near $35 for VMP to produce. And stuff like Juju was even less to produce since they made them years ago before prices went up across the board with manufacturing, unless I missed a recent repress of that one.

I'd be VERY surprised if VMP is dumping these at cost to HHV for HHV to turn around and sell them for $35.
Or they get rid of dead weight they are paying to store and write off selling the whole inventory in a batch at a loss, which helps them both with storage costs and tax wise. It is easy to cover with "we're helping our international customers" jazz. Again, many moves look like they are trying to raise money and cut costs within this fiscal year. That it all follows the Denver pressing plant debacle allows for sideline conjecture, which may be wrong or spot on. Time will tell.

Or they get rid of dead weight they are paying to store and write off selling the whole inventory in a batch at a loss, which helps them both with storage costs and tax wise. It is easy to cover with "we're helping our international customers" jazz. Again, many moves look like they are trying to raise money and cut costs within this fiscal year. That it all follows the Denver pressing plant debacle allows for sideline conjecture, which may be wrong or spot on. Time will tell.
I don't think that many moves look like they are trying to raise money, but instead are trying to cut costs and fat to try to right the ship post-Cam and pressing plant. Selling these at HHV opens up a new market for them + allows them to get rid of inventory. It's not really one or the other--it's likely both. They will definitely hide behind "this is great for our international customers!" I read it more as the access to a new market tactic. Some of these titles are some of their best selling titles of all time so it's not just a dump of Lapsleys and Torres. Maybe they did just toss those onto the pallet to HHV without telling them though.

My gut tells me that they will be trying to press way less of each title moving forward for ROTMs and move toward the timed repress model they have been doing if stuff sells out to try to keep inventory leaner. Less tracks means less guessing how many copies to press of each track. I also bet that subscriber numbers are near impossible to predict after the freebies year last year. Nearly everybody I know is not reupping after their current deal runs out.

I don't think that many moves look like they are trying to raise money, but instead are trying to cut costs and fat to try to right the ship post-Cam and pressing plant. Selling these at HHV opens up a new market for them + allows them to get rid of inventory. It's not really one or the other--it's likely both. They will definitely hide behind "this is great for our international customers!" I read it more as the access to a new market tactic. Some of these titles are some of their best selling titles of all time so it's not just a dump of Lapsleys and Torres. Maybe they did just toss those onto the pallet to HHV without telling them though.

My gut tells me that they will be trying to press way less of each title moving forward for ROTMs and move toward the timed repress model they have been doing if stuff sells out to try to keep inventory leaner. Less tracks means less guessing how many copies to press of each track. I also bet that subscriber numbers are near impossible to predict after the freebies year last year. Nearly everybody I know is not reupping after their current deal runs out.
Matt: Look at all the warehouse space we have freed up.
Storf: Let’s get 10,000 dad hats!!

I hope they figure out something to offer membership (maybe part of the announcement tomorrow). Because I can’t even remotely justify re-upping. Which I’m sort of bummed about. Ha it’s been years of swaptions and all the other VMP bits and bobs.

It seemed to be implied that the international shipping HMV thing was part of a larger update tomorrow.

(also that sentence really shows how exhausting VMP has become)
If there is an announcement tied to hmv tomorrow probably that international subscriptions are ending effective immediately and subs will be converted to HMV credit. (This is me just being ass, there is no evidence of said move but when it happens we should blame @Selaws )

Back