Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

That sea of red on VMP's store drop scheduling tracker....that's good, right? Like all that overwhelming red means things are going great?
What does it mean if something is NOT on the tracker? I have pending orders for Magic Potion and Jolene, and I don't see them on this

i'll whole-heartedly disagree on the "good point" being made in the post. pretty much none of it makes sense to me. this is like people saying "nike sneakers only cost $5 to make so why don't they sell them to me for $5??"

this is not the price that people will be paying. this is a distributor/wholesale price for record stores to buy from. look at the prices Chad and HHV are charging for the VMP stuff. It's pretty close to what VMP charges. People seem to forget that VMP's shipping + overhead is baked into these prices so they would be adding that onto the "wholesale" price if they were selling direct to customers in a big sale. It's a move that makes sense for them IMO. Reduce warehouse inventory (which costs a lot of money), move dead stock, open up a new customer base by selling at retail, etc. VMP's subscriber base has had at least 7 months to grab these titles and have not. they are not interested in them.

The more I see it the more I see a company about to get sold.

I don't see it that way really (definitely a possibility though). The more I see, the more I just know they got royally fucked by Cam + Co + pressing plant debacle and are now just cutting dead weight to try to right the ship financially. It's probably too late, but who knows.
They were definitely trying to be sold and it would appear that interested party from before is interested again from the legal filings the other week.

I'm really curious about these two...are they ACTUALLY shipping since the "Updated Shipping Month" is still technically over a month later.
View attachment 213755
I'm guessing it means they are at the warehouse now and will be shipping with next month's packages. they have been doing that lately--if the albums aren't in the warehouse before a certain date each month, they get bundled with the following months' packages.

They were definitely trying to be sold and it would appear that interested party from before is interested again from the legal filings the other week.
yes--they were looking to be acquired and someone was interested. i just don't see how raising prices + selling wholesale shows imminent sale of the company. definitely shows they are trying to get their financials in order though which needs to happen regardless of whether or not someone wants to buy them.

I preordered the repress of Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality. If I cancel that are they as quick to refund me as they were to charge me? If getting a refund is a whole ordeal, I might just wait it out. Going from July to Sept to now November is not promising.
Wondering this too - this is the last thing I have from VMP on order. It seems like the only well-regarded version of MOR that's available for a reasonable price though (assuming the repress actually happens), so I suppose I'll wait it out.

Last edited:
I preordered the repress of Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality. If I cancel that are they as quick to refund me as they were to charge me? If getting a refund is a whole ordeal, I might just wait it out. Going from July to Sept to now November is not promising.

In the past they've been pretty good about refunds. I'm not sure how that works now they canned their CS department, but I've always had good experience cancelling preorders.

they are typically quick to refund but unsure of how backed up CS is after they switched all the agents over. they seem to be really behind on stuff at the moment.

Took a day or two longer for my refund recently than the usual quick turnaround, but nothing egregious.

yes--they were looking to be acquired and someone was interested. i just don't see how raising prices + selling wholesale shows imminent sale of the company. definitely shows they are trying to get their financials in order though which needs to happen regardless of whether or not someone wants to buy them.

By rising prices you show potential buyer how much more they can make in a near future while reducing the dead stock.

When you sell, you are selling a cash flow if the seller does not have property/IP/products as part of the deal. VMP's only value is its sub base. A buyer who feels they have dedicated sub base is basically buying a steady revenue flow. What a buyer doesn't want is to buy vaporware, where you buy it and the revenue flow dries up unexpectedly, wasnt real to begin with, or due to error in valuation, you've overpaid for an asset that is now not worth what you paid. That should get sorted out in any due diligence. Example: Twitter and it's ad revenue vs X today and bunch of investment banks holding the bag on the loans.

their actual savings is probably in reducing the amount of square feet of warehouse space they're paying for - my guess is by selling these to wholesalers, they no longer have to physically house the product and can reduce that footprint and see immediate savings. post covid, commercial warehousing space costs have gone up quite a bit from what i've been told.
I'm sure cost-saving from reduced inventory space is beneficial, especially for cash flow. But there are accounting issues as well -- inventory generally is an asset on the balance sheet unless they think it's not sellable within a certain period (likely a year), and that period of time may already have been ticking, so it may have been or was potentiallly going to be converted into a liability.

Another issue can be financing/line of credit issues if the inventory itself is financed (almost certainly it is). As w/ car dealers (who need to move inventory to maintain the best financing terms and sometimes need to give better deals bc they have to move certain inventory by end of month or some other time period to stay within financint terms), VMP may have been or risked becoming upside down on the financing terms for their inventory (current and future) bc of how much inventory already subject to financed debt was sitting around. They have to be able to finance future inventory, so it may have been necessary to dump existing inventory ASAP even if terms weren't good.

Back