Audio Killed the Visual Star: The August 2023 Vinyl Challenge

13 - BREAK: play a record featuring an established tv actor

Tricky one for me. This is what I got: Rhys Ifans is "best known for his roles in Notting Hill (1999), Kevin & Perry Go Large (2000), and Enduring Love (2004) as well as his portrayals of Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (2010), the supervillain Lizard in The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) and the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021), and Grigori Rasputin in The King's Man (2021). Other roles include Hector DeJean in the Epix thriller series Berlin Station, Mycroft Holmes in the CBS series Elementary, and Ser Otto Hightower in the HBO series House of the Dragon."
He was briefly the
SFA's front man and he pops up on an answering machine message on their first album.

Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic
IMG_5514.jpeg

12. The Wire

Steve Earle – Washington Square Serenade
20230813_155231.jpg

With a nod to both @Turbo and @TenderLovingKiller® - As mentioned prior, Earle was an actor on the show who drew from his own experience with addictions to bring Waylon to life, while his cover of the Tom Waits-penned "Way Down In The Hole", featured here, also served as theme song for the shows fifth and final season.

Day 14: Avatar: The Last Airbender

A bit of a strange pick here, but I decided to go with an artist & album that, similar to Toph‘s parents’ attitude toward their daughter in that clip, I really underestimated…

Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1

IMG_6933.jpeg

This album is a lot of fun and has been in my summer rotation since it came out, whereas most of Calvin Harris’ work before this didn’t interest me very much. Too bad Vol. 2 wasn’t nearly as great as this (or all that good tbh).

How's the pressing? I like her stuff, but Rounder ain't the best pressings in the world.

It's not bad. The recording on some songs is kinda dirty to begin with and that's kinda cool on blues records. A date with the Humminguru definitely eliminated what a lot of folks would hear and immediately think 'noisy pressing'.

Back