Best Music šŸŽ¶ of 2024!

I just wanted to drop by real quick and say that the new Clarence Clarity album is fantastic and has been almost all I've listened to since it came out Friday. His ear for hooks and trademark maximalist production style are just as good as they were a decade ago on No Now, but where I feel like he's struggled a little bit with finding the right balance between abrasive and accessible in the past, I think he hit it right on the head with this one. As a longtime fan, I'm very satisfied. Even though he seems to prefer staying under the radar, I really wish he had a bigger audience because I still think this guy is putting out some of the most exciting and forward-thinking music around right now.

Last edited:
My tastes align with Paste quite a bit and I like a lot of the albums included in this list* but I am completely ignorant the their number 1 album for the decade. I havenā€™t ever heard of the artist either. Again, this would make sense if it were some list by a Metal or Electric publication but I feel like Paste is probably the music publication that I read the most at this point so itā€™s kind of surprising.

*though I feel weird including any albums from 2024 on a ā€œbest of the decadeā€ list. Itā€™s like nominating a still active player for the Hall of Fame. I feel like there needs to be some time to reflect on an album before evaluating it for inclusion, especially when the best of 2024 lists hasnā€™t even been released yet

Last edited:
My tastes align with Paste quite a bit and I like a lot of the albums included in this list* but I am completely ignorant the their number 1 album for the decade. I havenā€™t ever heard of the artist either. Again, this would make sense if it were some list by a Metal or Electric publication but I feel like Paste is probably the music publication that I read the most at this point so it kind of surprising.

*though I feel weird including any albums from 2024 on a ā€œbest of the decadeā€ list. Itā€™s like nominating a still active player for the Hall of Fame. I feel like there needs to be some time to reflect on an album before evaluating it for inclusion, especially when the best of 2024 lists hasnā€™t even been released yet
Yeah Iā€™m with you, Iā€™ve never heard of that album until this very moment.

Alvvays at #2 is extremely based though.

My tastes align with Paste quite a bit and I like a lot of the albums included in this list* but I am completely ignorant the their number 1 album for the decade. I havenā€™t ever heard of the artist either. Again, this would make sense if it were some list by a Metal or Electric publication but I feel like Paste is probably the music publication that I read the most at this point so it kind of surprising.

I ike this list a lot!

Oh wow. I have 8 of those top10 on LP. Seen four of them play live.

Yeah Iā€™m with you, Iā€™ve never heard of that album until this very moment.

Alvvays at #2 is extremely based though.
McKinley Dixon is an hip hop artist

I'm not as hot on the new MJ Lenderman like everyone else, however, whenever I listen to it "She's Leaving You" demands repeated listens. What a mf'ing JAM. Song of the year potential with that track.
The album isnā€™t an immediate as Boat Songs but itā€™s a grower for sure! There are a lot of excellent tunes there that are worth revisiting if you havenā€™t spent as much time with the album as a whole.

This is normally the time of year I start going back through releases from earlier in the year that I was either on the fence with, ones I may not have given enough time to, or ones I completely overlooked. And this weekend I've spent a lot of time revisiting Twenty Pills Without Water from August 30th, the 7th LP from experimental, alternative art rock band Bent Knee.

I did share a post about this release, as well as others that dropped on August 30th, but looking back at it, I didn't do this album much justice. I also don't remember seeing too much talk about it from others either. To be brief, this is an excellent album, and, imo, the band's best. The 12-track, 43-minute runtime is perfect. The front half of the album is a bit more upbeat. 'Big Bagel Manifesto' is the clear standout for me on the front half. The second half is absolutely flawless. 'Never Coming Home' through 'DLWTSB' is one of the best stretches of music on an album I've heard all year. Courtney Swain's vocals on this album are matured and breathtaking. As of right now I could easily see this placing in my Top5 for the year. If you haven't, give this a go. If you did back in August, it's worth at least one revisit.

Back