Definitive Audiophile pressings

As someone who cares deeply about The Beach Boys post-Pet Sounds material (there are DOZENS of us!)
I recently picked up a copy of the AP Beach Boys Holland and it sounds amazing. I have the AP of Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, and Surfs Up and while all are excellent Holland might be the most impressive of the group.
That 45 of sail on sailor is something special.

I love to lurk on this thread. Since I have some, lets be honest, lower end equipment should I just not even opt for the more expensive pressings because my equipment may not show it shining properly?
Even when I had an LP60 and little powered speakers, I could still hear the difference in a nice pressing. Depending on what you see as low end equipment you might want to put your money toward those upgrades before spending it on more expensive records, but if there's a record that you love then it can be worth it and if you take good care of it then it'll still be ready for when/if you ever do upgrade your set up.

Even when I had an LP60 and little powered speakers, I could still hear the difference in a nice pressing. Depending on what you see as low end equipment you might want to put your money toward those upgrades before spending it on more expensive records, but if there's a record that you love then it can be worth it and if you take good care of it then it'll still be ready for when/if you ever do upgrade your set up.
I have a uturn basic with a Grado Green. Thanks for the advice! :D

I love to lurk on this thread. Since I have some, lets be honest, lower end equipment should I just not even opt for the more expensive pressings because my equipment may not show it shining properly?
I was buying AP pressings on my Fluance and noticed a difference even then. I would say I actually invested in MORE audiophile pressings when my setup was lacking.

Weirdly enough the more expensive my system has gotten the closer the gap has gotten between standard pressings and audiophile pressings, with more expensive gear everything is a bit more enjoyable, where as with a lower end system I found standard pressings were a lot less enjoyable and the audiophile ones were giving me the experience I was seeking.

I was buying AP pressings on my Fluance and noticed a difference even then. I would say I actually invested in MORE audiophile pressings when my setup was lacking.

Weirdly enough the more expensive my system has gotten the closer the gap has gotten between standard pressings and audiophile pressings, with more expensive gear everything is a bit more enjoyable, where as with a lower end system I found standard pressings were a lot less enjoyable and the audiophile ones were giving me the experience I was seeking.
This exactly. The better the system I've found that the standard and lower pressings tend to improve massively whereas the audiophile ones will not show nearly the difference. It's great because you discover how good a lot of the pressings you thought were average actually are...

I think within reason it makes sense to get the best you can, but I think that the really pricy stuff like One Steps and UHQRs likely make less sense. But these Acoustic Sounds series and whatnot are absolutely reasonably priced and sound fantastic without breaking the bank...

I think within reason it makes sense to get the best you can, but I think that the really pricy stuff like One Steps and UHQRs likely make less sense. But these Acoustic Sounds series and whatnot are absolutely reasonably priced and sound fantastic without breaking the bank...
This is the way. There are also quite a few pressings people recommend here that aren’t crazy pricey. @Piratenovelist you can always ask for recommendations in pressings for bands/albums you like. Sometimes may be surprised at some of the great sounding options at under $30 for some good albums.

Back