Definitive Audiophile pressings

Stone Temple Pilots Purple from AP is AAA according to the back of the sleeve. Not sure if this was mentioned. I thought most recordings were digital by then, so this is interesting.

edit:

View attachment 211809

Depends. A lot of music here was still tape well into the 90s because digital recording gear was expensive and storage for data small and very expensive. It was moving that way but probably more in the bigger studios and larger labels until further into the decade.

Wtf?

mofi.com

Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas

Sourced from the original master tapes, pressed at Fidelity Record Pressing, and strictly limited to 3,000 numbered copies, the pioneering label’s UltraDisc One-Step 180g 33RPM LP set of Merry Christmas plays with superb detail, depth, and dimensionality. Available in audiophile quality for the...
mofi.com

mofi.com

Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas

Sourced from the original master tapes, pressed on Mobile Fidelity SuperVinyl at Fidelity Record Pressing, and strictly limited to 4,000 numbered copies, the pioneering label’s 180g 45RPM 2LP set of Merry Christmas plays with riveting detail, depth, and dimensionality. Available in audiophile...
mofi.com
The good news is that this will be known as the moment that the bubble popped. Don’t fret friends, $10 tone poet records are just around the corner.

I think that Duke Pearson and honestly a lot of big label Christmas records suffer because the labels don’t know what to do with them. After the season is done, box them back up and wait till next year. Not every record is gonna sell like Charlie Brown, let retailers liquidate if they want (but most don’t, they box em up). Sell it for the going rate for forever.

BN probably printed it like it was any other not top tier record and expected it to sell like the rest of them even though it clearly has a specific shelf life.

From a business standpoint, a Christmas album is a long play and corporate America currently has no idea how to make a long play. These are records you should be able to sell every year for the rest of time.

I think that Duke Pearson and honestly a lot of big label Christmas records suffer because the labels don’t know what to do with them. After the season is done, box them back up and wait till next year. Not every record is gonna sell like Charlie Brown, let retailers liquidate if they want (but most don’t, they box em up). Sell it for the going rate for forever.

BN probably printed it like it was any other not top tier record and expected it to sell like the rest of them even though it clearly has a specific shelf life.

From a business standpoint, a Christmas album is a long play and corporate America currently has no idea how to make a long play. These are records you should be able to sell every year for the rest of time.
I think Duke is just not really a household name especially not for chrimbo songs. Somebody has to make an animated Duke Pearson christmas special!

Back