Definitive Audiophile pressings

sure--it's a bit of semantics though, no? you have stuff like Californication. While not TRULY brickwalled on vinyl, it sounds like shit on vinyl because the Vlado mastering and the "sound" they were going for at the time knowing that they would brickwall it for CD. Maybe it was even worse on the CD. But it didn't sound good on vinyl until Bellman or whoever went back and remixed it from the multitracks.

Also oasis recorded their first two album to tape because the studios they were in were small and independent and hadn’t made the jump to digital which was expensive at the time. The first mixes of DM sounded weedy, I’ve heard them, just another bog standard indie band. They were handed to Owen Morris who created new mixes where everything was basically turned up to 11. It works for the band they are. My understanding is they’ve never touched those mixes, only tweaked the mastering for the 20th and used that from then onwards.

Last edited:
Also oasis recorded their first two album to tape because of the the studios they were in were small and independent and hadn’t made the jump to digital which was expensive at the time. The first mixes of DM sounded weedy, I’ve heard them, just another bog standard indie band. They were handed to Owen Morris who created new mixes where everything was basically turned up to 11. It works for the band they are. My understanding is they’ve never touched those mixes, only tweaked the mastering for the 20th and used that from then onwards.

Morning Glory is another story altogether. They went too far on that one. Even Noel, as much as he loves his own songs, hates the tone of that one.

sure--it's a bit of semantics though, no? you have stuff like Californication. While not TRULY brickwalled on vinyl, it sounds like shit on vinyl because the Vlado mastering and the "sound" they were going for at the time knowing that they would brickwall it for CD. Maybe it was even worse on the CD. But it didn't sound good on vinyl until Bellman or whoever went back and remixed it from the multitracks.
Sure, it is, to some extent. Remember that back in 1999, vinyl was a very trivial consideration for a new release. They probably used the raw digital files, which Vlad mixed loud. The 1999 vinyl is definitely less brickwalled than the concurrent CD. The 2012 vinyl is only a notch higher in dynamic range.

My guess is that the 1999 sounds like shit because it was mastered from a low-res file carelessly.

I would be really surprised if this sounds any better than an original press.

Back