Definitive Audiophile pressings

I think household name is a complaint that could be lodged at like 60% of BN’s entire catalog.
Sure--but I just think it's a hard sell to re-package a christmas album every year from a jazz guy nearly nobody has heard of. It's a niche within a niche market and Duke doesn't even fit in that. Just about all of the chrimbo albums that sell well are household names or had hit Christmas singles.

This is coming from somebody who loves that Duke Pearson record. I love the Bobby Timmons holiday record too and don't see that being an evergreen (no pun intended) christmas album. Charlie Brown Christmas can be resold every year because it is always being introduced to new generations through the film being everywhere at Christmas time.

Maybe somebody just needs to do some viral marketing for Duke. Try to do a Brat Summer thing--A Duke Chrimbo? Forest green instead of that neon green color?

From Lutthans-
Any guesses?

"I spent yesterday and this morning remixing and cutting another title from 4-track tape (UNRELATED to Skip James or Bluesville -- different kind of music altogether), cutting directly from the 4-track to the lathe again. This one is a title that only ever received a mono mix.....until this week. Can't divulge any more."

From Lutthans-
Any guesses?

"I spent yesterday and this morning remixing and cutting another title from 4-track tape (UNRELATED to Skip James or Bluesville -- different kind of music altogether), cutting directly from the 4-track to the lathe again. This one is a title that only ever received a mono mix.....until this week. Can't divulge any more."
I’m just really glad he’s getting a ton of work now. Lutthans is great.

I'm pretty sure a "Definitive Audiophile pressing" doesn't exist of Oasis's first two albums, are there any decent pressings to be had? Or are these CD bound in my curation?

So oasis are not audiophile. It’s brickwalled in the mix. Honestly, I’ve heard the original recording and given who oasis are the brickwalling massively improves it, makes it sound much more like their full on live sound.

I have the 20th anniversary version and the pressing is great. That’s what you’ll get with a black pressing. The 25th (and 30th upcoming for DM) use the same master for the main album, don’t know much about the pressing.

Not really. You can't brickwall vinyl, just make it louder.

The 2009 Big Brother reissues are definitive to me.

you can if you're cutting it from a brickwalled digital mix, as @MikeH alluded to. The mix is what it is, I got a 2020 reissue of the 25th anniversary What's the Story... and I don't hate it, it is what it is.

I bet that 2009 Miles Showell is probably better though.

you can if you're cutting it from a brickwalled digital mix, as @MikeH alluded to. The mix is what it is, I got a 2020 reissue of the 25th anniversary What's the Story... and I don't hate it, it is what it is.

I bet that 2009 Miles Showell is probably better though.
In general, no. If truly brickwalled - like DR 5 or so - it cannot be cut to vinyl. Nothing will track it.

Generally, in digital, neither the mix or digital master are brickwalled. It happens in mastering after for the CD or download/streaming file.

The typical mode is to send a specific vinyl master to cut the lacquer from. Usually that vinyl master is a file with two tracks - side 1 and side 2 - with the appropriate breaks between tunes.

This is why with modern digital recordings the vinyl will usually sound much better than the CD or download.

Exceptions will apply.

In general, no. If truly brickwalled - like DR 5 or so - it cannot be cut to vinyl. Nothing will track it.

Generally, in digital, neither the mix or digital master are brickwalled. It happens in mastering after for the CD or download/streaming file.

The typical mode is to send a specific vinyl master to cut the lacquer from. Usually that vinyl master is a file with two tracks - side 1 and side 2 - with the appropriate breaks between tunes.

This is why with modern digital recordings the vinyl will usually sound much better than the CD or download.

Exceptions will apply.
sure--it's a bit of semantics though, no? you have stuff like Californication. While not TRULY brickwalled on vinyl, it sounds like shit on vinyl because the Vlado mastering and the "sound" they were going for at the time knowing that they would brickwall it for CD. Maybe it was even worse on the CD. But it didn't sound good on vinyl until Bellman or whoever went back and remixed it from the multitracks.

Back