Definitive Audiophile pressings

My dad listened to The Eagles, Chicago, and The Doobie Brothers. I knew from early on how uncool my dad was and that perception never really changed. He was a good guy just had a pretty terrible aural palette.
At least you didn’t have to sit through “grandpa got hit by a car one day. When the guy asked grandpa why he didn’t use a signal, grandpa replied ‘everyone knows I live here.’”

Last edited:
No one NEEDS to get into any music ever and I've never been at a loss for good music to occupy my time.

Despite never having enjoyed the Doors, I'm someone who likes to revisit things from time to time and see if they hit any different. A nice audiophile release coming out in a format I enjoy is the closest I'll ever get to revisiting them for any reason again. So can't hurt to give them a stream. If I still think they're ditch weed level, then I'll move on quickly. I only picked up the rsd session box because I got it for $20, which made it worth a shot. I still haven't ever listened to it though...
I hear you! And can relate to certain artists hitting just right at a certain time or age. I'm happy to send you a clean Doors Greatest Hits LP to help you scratch that itch. ;)

I’m surprised to see all The Doors hate! I found them as a teenager and became enamored but now as a 29 year old, I still find their praise to be warranted and their music to be great!
I love The Doors, but my hate is more towards companies pressing the same titles over and over and over and over again with a new wrinkle. Those YouTubers out there comparing 12 pressings of the same album are ruining it for everyone ;)

I love The Doors, but my hate is more towards companies pressing the same titles over and over and over and over again with a new wrinkle. Those YouTubers out there comparing 12 pressings of the same album are ruining it for everyone ;)
Absolutely. You'd think that with the STP Atlantic 75 records being the biggest sellers Chad has ever had (which I've read in a couple places, although 🤷) that it would signal to these audiophile reissue labels that there is a big demand to move beyond the same tired titles that have had the audiophile treatment over and over again.

Rhino has never pressed AAA Doors. Just some subpar reissues, which I don't really count in this comparison.
AP45s and the silly priced UHQR are the only copies cut from tape.
These will sell really well, especially if broken out separately later.
I tried to pick up a decent first press of LAW and gave up.
Too much $$$ for what it brings SQ wise.

I bet the 3k boxes are gone in 24 hours.

100% right.

I have the BG Doors box and it sounds great. Actually, it sounds far more authentic and truthful to the sound of the originals than the AP, which I find to have been plumped up and made to sound 'audiophile' - not the Doors sound at all.

I have a few Rhino - the Strange Days mono and Absolutely Live - and feel no need for any barrel scraping releases.

Like I have the time to compare pressings ad infinitum. My time is much better spent listening to new music.

I have all the originals, well...have not ever looked at what they are, likely re-issues form the 70's...and they all sound just fine enough, though this is tempting.....though i am missing my LA Woman.....hmmm.....another MIA album....i swear there is a box of them somewhere and i know i am going to find it once i replace them all.

Interesting how ED is trying to sell the old box for $400. Also includes a link to the previous mastering details.

Sounds like KG has a cutting project on his hands with these tapes.

Back