Definitive Audiophile pressings

Interesting how ED is trying to sell the old box for $400. Also includes a link to the previous mastering details.

Sounds like KG has a cutting project on his hands with these tapes.

Why "interesting"? What i find interesting is that the advertising/promotional sites, like Tracking Angle, are already pimping this set and flip-flopping on their stellar assessment of the now much older Grundman box.

And Rhino has already admitted the S/T will be from a copy tape.

This is what I hate about the vinyl reissue craze.

The 'old' box is well worth $400, it sounds superb - as Fremer said as he was creaming himself over it back when it came out - and what tapes there are are 16 years older now.

Why "interesting"? What i find interesting is that the advertising/promotional sites, like Tracking Angle, are already pimping this set and flip-flopping on their stellar assessment of the now much older Grundman box.

And Rhino has already admitted the S/T will be from a copy tape.

This is what I hate about the vinyl reissue craze.

The 'old' box is well worth $400, it sounds superb - as Fremer said as he was creaming himself over it back when it came out - and what tapes there are are 16 years older now.

You're surprised Fremer is a shill. Ha! Too funny

I haven't seen Rhino say anything about the tapes but please share.

Tape age doesn't scare me. The latest Miles OJC was cut from 68 year old tapes and it sounds amazing. Probably barely used but the age is no factor.

You're surprised Fremer is a shill. Ha! Too funny

I haven't seen Rhino say anything about the tapes but please share.

Tape age doesn't scare me. The latest Miles OJC was cut from 68 year old tapes and it sounds amazing. Probably barely used but the age is no factor.
'Cut from Tapes' is the new "From the original master tapes' line, as so many first generation master tapes are gone, deteriorated or otherwise not obtainable.

I don't know that Miles OJC, I do know that the Miles AP box from 2008 shows plenty of tape issues and that Workin could not be taken from the 1st gen master.

In fact, when Stan Ricker cut the same box set in 1996 he found the tapes so bad - drop outs, loss of high frequencies, deteriorating splices, etc. that he cut the at 22 1/2 to alleviate as many of the problems as possible and get some bass and top end out of the tapes.

Was the recent OJC cut from the 1st gen tape? I doubt it. A copy tape - the original has seen a LOT of use over 68 years.

Yeah, I know Fremer is the Trump of audio - shilling not for the Russians but for the advertisers paying him. Same thing, I guess.

Doesn't mean his misinformation doesn't have an effect on purchasers.

The Rhino S/T Doors is cut from a copy tape. NO DOUBT. The master has been unuseable for years. No lathe operator can fix that, unless they take the tape into the digital domain and clean the flaws out digitally one by one - and only then, if the tape can still sustain one last playback.

'Cut from Tapes' is the new "From the original master tapes' line, as so many first generation master tapes are gone, deteriorated or otherwise not obtainable.

I don't know that Miles OJC, I do know that the Miles AP box from 2008 shows plenty of tape issues and that Workin could not be taken from the 1st gen master.

In fact, when Stan Ricker cut the same box set in 1996 he found the tapes so bad - drop outs, loss of high frequencies, deteriorating splices, etc. that he cut the at 22 1/2 to alleviate as many of the problems as possible and get some bass and top end out of the tapes.

Was the recent OJC cut from the 1st gen tape? I doubt it. A copy tape - the original has seen a LOT of use over 68 years.

Yeah, I know Fremer is the Trump of audio - shilling not for the Russians but for the advertisers paying him. Same thing, I guess.

Doesn't mean his misinformation doesn't have an effect on purchasers.

The Rhino S/T Doors is cut from a copy tape. NO DOUBT. The master has been unuseable for years. No lathe operator can fix that, unless they take the tape into the digital domain and clean the flaws out digitally one by one - and only then, if the tape can still sustain one last playback.
(AAA) Lacquers cut from the original tapes Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio

This may be sacrilegious but here goes.

The original OJC remasters, be it compact disc or vinyl, are at least equal to and often times better than all modern audiophile vinyl reissues of the same material.

I’ve compared so many I’ve stopped trying.
Equal or better is not really my take.
It's more about preference.

One title I was able to compare-
Way Out West sounds really different between my '88 and the new BG.
The earlier is drier and leaner in depth. Still sounds very good.
Likely a flat transfer from the tape.
BG has a plusher, and more velvet sound.
Some people don't care for his tube console sound.
I really enjoy his jazz cuts.

I enjoy his jazz pressings as well.

But to put a finer point on it, if one over the other is preferred then it is about which is better.

Descriptors like “plush” and “velvet” can also come across as “wooly” or “veiled”.

And since I am a glutton for punishment who is never satisfied I will compare my 1980s OJC to the upcoming standalone release of the Grundman cut “Way Out West” when it comes out.

Agree on WoW - this is one where I had multiple copies (80s ojc vinyl, mofi cd, new BG cut) and the BG was easily the best for me.

I enjoy his jazz pressings as well.

But to put a finer point on it, if one over the other is preferred then it is about which is better.

Descriptors like “plush” and “velvet” can also come across as “wooly” or “veiled”.

And since I am a glutton for punishment who is never satisfied I will compare my 1980s OJC to the upcoming standalone release of the Grundman cut “Way Out West” when it comes out.
I haven't heard if the same cut the box is getting repressed.
Would be great if that's the case.

Back