Definitive Audiophile pressings

Is that OOP? Wishing I had picked up a copy last year when it was widely available.

It does appear to be, though I would also guess some stragglers are probably in the better stocked locals. I'd also be surprised if it's not in the repress queue.

So I joined one of those Facebook MoFi and Audphile Record groups and it seems like the standard practice for many members is to buy multiple copies of the same MoFi release, then resell it for a huge markup a few weeks after it sells out on MoFi.com or Music Direct. And everyone in that group seems to be on board with this practice. It's basically flipping.

Sorry, just had to say something here. God knows if I mentioned on that group the admins and members would chase me out with pitchforks. Just hate to see this behavior because there are many titles people are after that they cannot obtain for retail because people are buying multiple copies to flip.

And then when they parade their second sealed copies of rare OOP one steps, like "cool dude, I would have loved to buy that Live at the Village Vanguard and actually listen to it, but it looks good sealed on your shelf."

Seems like these music loving communities would actually want people to have access to the music!

Rant over.

So I joined one of those Facebook MoFi and Audphile Record groups and it seems like the standard practice for many members is to buy multiple copies of the same MoFi release, then resell it for a huge markup a few weeks after it sells out on MoFi.com or Music Direct. And everyone in that group seems to be on board with this practice. It's basically flipping.

Sorry, just had to say something here. God knows if I mentioned on that group the admins and members would chase me out with pitchforks. Just hate to see this behavior because there are many titles people are after that they cannot obtain for retail because people are buying multiple copies to flip.

And then when they parade their second sealed copies of rare OOP one steps, like "cool dude, I would have loved to buy that Live at the Village Vanguard and actually listen to it, but it looks good sealed on your shelf."

Seems like these music loving communities would actually want people to have access to the music!

Rant over.
Not a fan, left those groups way back when............but to each his own on the flipping subject.

I'll bank on Karma kicking in at some point ;)

Yeah, let them do their thing. I honestly doubt they make out as well as they’d like each other to believe they do, but even if they do, whatever. So much of this bullshit is illusion anyway, it’s hard to get worked up about it.

(Though I completely get your point in posting this here. Glad this forum doesn’t promote that behavior.)

Rant over.
What I hate is that if something like a restock or new release gets posted there, it is an absolute swarm. They're the reason why the Mofi back in stocks go so quickly.

Yeah, let them do their thing. I honestly doubt they make out as well as they’d like each other to believe they do, but even if they do, whatever. So much of this bullshit is illusion anyway, it’s hard to get worked up about it.

(Though I completely get your point in posting this here. Glad this forum doesn’t promote that behavior.)
Yeah, I'm not gonna get too worked up about it. Just unfollowing them now. Definitely not the group of people I was expecting.

Rant over.
Not surprised. That’s what capitalist assholes do.

Rant over.
i was threatened with a ban there for telling people not to buy the flipper copies of Jeff Beck for $150 2 days after they went on sale at MoFi. I posted links to buy copies at MSRP from local stores instead and they got removed by the mods. When I asked what I did wrong they just went on a rant about how people can sell anything they want for whatever price they want and people don’t have to buy it. The group is run by flippers.

There’s a guy on there who is also on Hoffman and all he does is flip records. My guess is he buys 2+ of every release and uses the money to pay for a copy for himself. But he says he’s doing a service for people who can’t get the records themselves which is pretty funny.

It’s a pretty infuriating group so I almost left it too. The only benefit is if you want to trade there’s a very large audience on there for people to trade with.

I can assure you that he will lead with that.
Last I saw NightMather he was cutting lines of coke on his Ziggy MoFi
Cocaine-0.jpg

Rant over.
May each and every one of them be stuck with defective copies.

I will say that I understand that MoFi does not run a charity but I wish they would limit these releases to one per customer.

Rant over.

If any of these flippers are in the US, they could be in for a surprise in 2022 when they get a 1099K. New threshold is $600. A big change from 20K. If they aren't doing business bookkeeping to show profit they will be in full panic mode next year.

I think this will have a big impact on the secondary vinyl market over the next couple of years. Even just selling off titles out your personal collection you could hit that $600 threshold. Have to keep records to show it was personal property sold for a loss.

Back