Definitive Audiophile pressings

If any of these flippers are in the US, they could be in for a surprise in 2022 when they get a 1099K. New threshold is $600. A big change from 20K. If they aren't doing business bookkeeping to show profit they will be in full panic mode next year.

I think this will have a big impact on the secondary vinyl market over the next couple of years. Even just selling off titles out your personal collection you could hit that $600 threshold. Have to keep records to show it was personal property sold for a loss.
Ooooh very interesting. That’s good info to know as selling from my own collection surely will exceed $600.

For anyone interested in learning more, tho was helpful: New U.S. Tax Reporting Requirements: Your Questions Answered

That’s a significant drop from $20K -> $600. Curious what the impetus was.

Last edited:
Me too, but what does this mean? What do we need to do?
Basically, if you accept over $600 total in goods & services in year from digital payment providers you will need to do bookkeeping to show cost of goods, fees, refunds, shipping cost etc. That way you only pay income tax on the profit or possibly deduct it as a business loss if you are in the red. If you don't, the IRS will be sending you a letter expecting you to pay income tax on the full amount if it isn't reflected on your returns.

Just be smart and keep good records along the way. Its going to be a real hassle at tax time next year if you don't.

This was helpful for me. Essentially just keep track of how much we do in G&S payments and report it as income when comes tax season. It will kick in for the 2023 tax reporting it seems. I’m assuming it’ll be taxed as “self-employment.”

New U.S. Tax Reporting Requirements: Your Questions Answered
Basically, if you accept over $600 total in goods & services in year from digital payment providers you will need to do bookkeeping to show cost of goods, fees, refunds, shipping cost etc. That way you only pay income tax on the profit or possibly deduct it as a business loss if you are in the red. If you don't, the IRS will be sending you a letter expecting you to pay income tax on the full amount if it isn't reflected on your returns.

Just be smart and keep good records along the way. Its going to be a real hassle at tax time next year if you don't.
So this doesn’t apply for the 2021 tax year then?

Yeah, I've been reading about the new tax rule. Seems like the IRS is really sticking it to the little guy. Your wages get taxed, then you buy something which is taxed, then when you go to sell, you're taxed again.

$600 is such a low threshold too. I sold one record already this year and I'm already at $75. The only way around it seems to be cash transactions in-person, money orders, or F&F. Maybe Zelle? Or crypto, if that's your thing. F&F is gonna bring out the scammers for sure.

Also, it's unclear to me if you can even write off expenses. Typically the standardized deduction is always greater than any deductions I try to write off,but maybe it's different for 1099-Ks. I believe the standard deduction is around $18k, so no way I'll have expenses greater than that in a year just slinging a few records from my collection.

Also, the IRS is gonna becompletely inundated with 1099s. Much of the US population relies on the "gig economy" and "side hustles", but I suppose that's what they are after.

Yeah, I've been reading about the new tax rule. Seems like the IRS is really sticking it to the little guy. Your wages get taxed, then you buy something which is taxed, then when you go to sell, you're taxed again.

$600 is such a low threshold too. I sold one record already this year and I'm already at $75. The only way around it seems to be cash transactions in-person, money orders, or F&F. Maybe Zelle? Or crypto, if that's your thing. F&F is gonna bring out the scammers for sure.

Also, it's unclear to me if you can even write off expenses. Typically the standardized deduction is always greater than any deductions I try to write off,but maybe it's different for 1099-Ks. I believe the standard deduction is around $18k, so no way I'll have expenses greater than that in a year just slinging a few records from my collection.

Also, the IRS is gonna becompletely inundated with 1099s. Much of the US population relies on the "gig economy" and "side hustles", but I suppose that's what they are after.
Yeah, it’s a real shame. Curious what it will do to prices. I would think more people will stop buying new records to flip, but I could also see it just drive up prices to account for the tax. Though the latter assumes the market will move. I’m hoping for the former…

Either way, I’ve enjoyed selling stuff from my collection and it’s definitely going to impact the hobby. Sounds like I’ll be doing a lot more trading or selling to people I know/trust.

Here's the thing. These were all always taxable events, regardless of the payment method, and should legally be reported as income. No one does, but this has been the law for many, many years. It's just that the government is trying to figure out ways to adapt to this "new economy" and this is their latest attempt to recoup "lost revenue".

Here's the thing. These were all always taxable events, regardless of the payment method, and should legally be reported as income. No one does, but this has been the law for many, many years. It's just that the government is trying to figure out ways to adapt to this "new economy" and this is their latest attempt to recoup "lost revenue".
I agree. But the 1099 k threshold went from $20k or 200 transactions to $600. Huge leap.

Yeah, my understanding is that unless you actually register as a business, the only way to write off costs and expenses is by itemizing deductions. And since the standard deduction is really high now, that's not usually going to work. So be prepared to lose a percentage of your sales equal to your tax rate. Bummer.

I agree. But the 1099 k threshold went from $20k or 200 transactions to $600. Huge leap.
Of course, that is not in dispute. I just wanted to point out that people did not seem to understand that these are all taxable events (just like bartering and trading) and that using a differnet method to transfer goods or a payment method does not absolve one of the legal reporting requirements.

Back