Definitive Audiophile pressings

But is that $600 threshold to report per platform? I can't imagine cogs, eBay, etc are cross-talking? Or am I misunderstanding?

That is, could I not sell, say, $400 on cogs and $300 on eBay for the year and have not met the threshold with either to report?

Well, I'm glad I sold that $700 amp on Reverb on 23 Dec 2021 instead of 01 Jan 2022!

But is that $600 threshold to report per platform? I can't imagine cogs, eBay, etc are cross-talking? Or am I misunderstanding?

That is, could I not sell, say, $400 on cogs and $300 on eBay for the year and have to met the threshold with either?

Well, I'm glad I sold that $700 amp on Reverb on 23 Dec 2021 instead of 01 Jan 2022!
It would be 600 per platform, since it would be PayPal issuing you the 1099. But if you use PayPal goods and services across multiple sites (let's say discogs and private sales), it would likely aggregate.

It would be 600 per platform, since it would be PayPal issuing you the 1099.
Well, then if PayPal, there would be a conjunction among the platforms (using the same payment service)?

Of course, you can do CC payouts through eBay and some others and avoid PayPal.

And, no, not asking for a friend. All about gaming the system that plays games with me.

I may be done with online sales now
Yeah, this is my thinking. I’ve really enjoyed selling on Reddit but may just resort to trading now. It’s not worth the extra work.

On the other hand, locals might see an uptick in trade ins. I have a lot of stuff that I’ve bought at flea markets and whatnot that I’ll likely bring to my local sooner or later rather than try and sell it piecemeal.

Well, then if PayPal, there would be a conjunction among the platforms (using the same payment service)?

And, no, not asking for a friend. All about gaming the system that plays games with me.
Correct.

So if you’re selling on Reddit and Discogs using PayPal G&S for both, you would automatically get a 1099 when you hit $600 on PayPal.

But if you use direct payments for eBay and not PP, you wouldn’t get another 1099 from eBay until you hit $600 from eBay’s direct payments. Same would apply for something like Venmo, too. It would be $600 per individual G&S payment platform.

I suspect this might be why Discogs gave up on their own platform and are pushing everyone to PayPal, probably no desire to be in the business of keeping tabs on every seller and issuing thousands upon thousands of 1099 forms. Whereas PayPal has to do so, so just let them do it.

Analogue Productions — 2x45rpm set of Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughn “In Session” is in stock in “limited quantities” per AS.
It’s $60 but at least gets past their free shipping threshold for the U.S.

Edit: It also got me free shipping on Impex’s Kenny Dorham “Matador” pre-order. Normally, no free shipping unless the item is in stock, but, apparently if you blend in-stock w/ pre-order, the pre-order gets the benefit of free shipping. As a bonus, they’re sending Albert/Stevie separately!

Man, vinyl getting expensive.

Preordering Joe Pass - For Django and Kenny Dorham - Matador on Acoustic Sounds will run you DAMN NEAR $100 😭😭😭. Thankful we have people like @Ethos99 lookin out for us
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when you checked out, there is a small blue ribbon next to the Matador release in your cart, which when you put your mouse over the blue ribbon a pop-up appears that states:

"This item does not qualify for free shipping as it is not in stock due to being a Pre/Back Ordered item. Shipping cost will be calculated upon this items arrival to ensure the most accurate cost."

Not sure if they'll tack on an extra $8 shipping charge when they actually bill you for Matador, but I would expect it, given how damn stingy Acoustic Sounds is. The blue ribbon is probably really hard to observe if you used your cell to purchase the album.

Man, vinyl getting expensive.

Preordering Joe Pass - For Django and Kenny Dorham - Matador on Acoustic Sounds will run you DAMN NEAR $100 😭😭😭. Thankful we have people like @Ethos99 lookin out for us
I typically only buy APs from Acoustic Sounds anymore. And no preorders have free shipping at AS. So I rarely do preorders there unless it's something I think will sell out immediately or I want to backorder something like some of those Prestige AP titles.

The TPs and BN Classics have really wide distribution and can always be found at sale prices or through PBC as you said. I don't think I have ever paid more than $25 for a tone poet. I am seeing that it's $88 for those two titles + shipping + tax for me from AS. Definitely on the steep side for 2 albums but sadly $40 seems to be the new norm for 1LP audiophile releases. As soon as one company starts charging that successfully, the others quickly start joining along.

@zdkaiser -- i don't think i have ever been charged for shipping twice from AS if I order 2 preorders or backordered items. But I'll try to keep my eye out next time and see what happens...I have a bunch of the prestige titles backordered. I probably should have waited to order when they go back in stock...but there were a handful I absolutely didn't want to miss (like the Lightnin Hopkins titles).

Here's the thing. These were all always taxable events, regardless of the payment method, and should legally be reported as income. No one does, but this has been the law for many, many years. It's just that the government is trying to figure out ways to adapt to this "new economy" and this is their latest attempt to recoup "lost revenue".
Whatever, the big corporations and wealthy get to pay little to no taxes, this is just a way to continue sticking it to the middle class and below.

Whatever, the big corporations and wealthy get to pay little to no taxes, this is just a way to continue sticking it to the middle class and below.
Exactly, they chose to crack down on you and me, not corporations and oligarchs. Just more evidence that our elected officials work for their wealthy donors and not for us, because this doesn't make our lives better in any way.

Are you guys are suggesting that AS will issue a separate charge for shipping when Dorham is in stock and ships despite a specific $99.98 “Order Total” and a $0.00 “Shipping total.” I am not anticipating that and will challenge the extra charge if AS does so. I’ll report back, regardless.1641583083507.png

I typically only buy APs from Acoustic Sounds anymore. And no preorders have free shipping at AS. So I rarely do preorders there unless it's something I think will sell out immediately or I want to backorder something like some of those Prestige AP titles.

The TPs and BN Classics have really wide distribution and can always be found at sale prices or through PBC as you said. I don't think I have ever paid more than $25 for a tone poet. I am seeing that it's $88 for those two titles + shipping + tax for me from AS. Definitely on the steep side for 2 albums but sadly $40 seems to be the new norm for 1LP audiophile releases. As soon as one company starts charging that successfully, the others quickly start joining along.

@zdkaiser -- i don't think i have ever been charged for shipping twice from AS if I order 2 preorders or backordered items. But I'll try to keep my eye out next time and see what happens...I have a bunch of the prestige titles backordered. I probably should have waited to order when they go back in stock...but there were a handful I absolutely didn't want to miss (like the Lightnin Hopkins titles).
Well, I did what Ghost did, and preordered Matador with an instock AP title. The Ben Webster Soulville is in stock and will ship next week. I'll let you know if they ding me again for the Matador preorder shipping.

Last edited:
Are you guys are suggesting that AS will issue a separate charge for shipping when Dorham is in stock and ships despite a specific $99.98 “Order Total” and a $0.00 “Shipping total.” I am not anticipating that and will challenge the extra charge if AS does so. I’ll report back, regardless.View attachment 124113
Yes, that's what I think they are going to do. But I don't really know because I haven't preordered from Acoustic Sounds before (for reasons @MikeH describes). See the screenshot I attached.

Do they charge upfront, or when items ship? If they charge when items ship, I bet they throw on another $8 for fed-ex shipping for the Dorham release. I mean, they flag it with the blue ribbon, then you have to check that little box before placing your order that says you understand their order policy.

Acoustic Sounds.jpg

Yes, that's what I think they are going to do. But I don't really know because I haven't preordered from Acoustic Sounds before (for reasons @MikeH describes). See the screenshot I attached.

Do they charge upfront, or when items ship? If they charge when items ship, I bet they throw on another $8 for fed-ex shipping for the Dorham release. I mean, they flag it with the blue ribbon, then you have to check that little box before placing your order that says you understand their order policy.

View attachment 124114
That Soulville record is smoooooooth! Very nice choice.

Back