Definitive Audiophile pressings

Yes, that's what I think they are going to do. But I don't really know because I haven't preordered from Acoustic Sounds before (for reasons @MikeH describes). See the screenshot I attached.

Do they charge upfront, or when items ship? If they charge when items ship, I bet they throw on another $8 for fed-ex shipping for the Dorham release. I mean, they flag it with the blue ribbon, then you have to check that little box before placing your order that says you understand their order policy.

View attachment 124114
Ah, thank you. I didn’t notice the blue ribbon when I purchased. I’m going to ask them about it.

Yes, that's what I think they are going to do. But I don't really know because I haven't preordered from Acoustic Sounds before (for reasons @MikeH describes). See the screenshot I attached.

Do they charge upfront, or when items ship? If they charge when items ship, I bet they throw on another $8 for fed-ex shipping for the Dorham release. I mean, they flag it with the blue ribbon, then you have to check that little box before placing your order that says you understand their order policy.

View attachment 124114
I don't think they do add on a shipping charge--at least they haven't in the past. Though I admit that note sounds like they might try, I think it's been there for a while. When I've preordered in the past, as long as I exceeded the free shipping threshold with in stock items and my cart said shipping was free when I checked out, they later shipped the preordered item without tacking on an extra shipping charge. I just checked my credit card statements and the last time I can confirm that happened was in April 2021--they shipped me my Muddy Waters - Folk Singer repress and charged me only the price of the LP and tax.

I thought the banner was meant to inform you that the item would not help you meet the free shipping threshold.

I would think you'd have a pretty strong case for a chargeback from your credit card company if the line item for shipping on your receipt said "free" and then they later charged you shipping, regardless of the little blue ribbon with a popup window that says otherwise.

fwiw, I actually didn't place an order haha. Was just curious to see what the total would be and had to rub my eyes at the price. Does seem like its creeping up to be the new norm. Will probably hold out to see if PBC can get some Matador copies in the door! I typically find good deals on Tone Poets as well so not too worried, just a bit shocked is all.

View attachment 124114
Yeah, I thought I saw someone here complaining that this did happen to them (and filed it away in my mind as something to avoid). Was it @Yer Ol' Uncle D maybe?

I've never heard this album, don't know if I would like it or not, but seem to remember someone on here posting about it. I'm browsing through a January sale and thought I'd look at comments on cogs. There are 2 options for the EAN, both are Bellman cuts. The comments are amazing. I don't think I've seen worse reviews for an album on cogs, can this be right? Bellers is usually nailed on.

AS wrote back to say that they will charge shipping on the pre-ordered item, despite how the order appears.
Well that's good information to have. And it's a departure from the past. Thanks for the heads up. I placed an order for a couple of backordered AP titles along with in-stock items to get free shipping back in September or October when they jacked up their prices. If they charge $8 shipping for each, that's not much of a deal. I might cancel them, or I might wait for one to go through and see what happens.

I've never heard this album, don't know if I would like it or not, but seem to remember someone on here posting about it. I'm browsing through a January sale and thought I'd look at comments on cogs. There are 2 options for the EAN, both are Bellman cuts. The comments are amazing. I don't think I've seen worse reviews for an album on cogs, can this be right? Bellers is usually nailed on.

Bellman can't fix a garbage source. All he did was cut the lacquers.

Shitty remix of a great album. The mastering is probably excellent, but the remix was a very controversial

AS wrote back to say that they will charge shipping on the pre-ordered item, despite how the order appears.
Thanks for confirming. I figured this would happen, seems like AS doesn't really ever cut their customers a break. I mean, their "sales" they have every year consist of 10% off, except for AP titles, MoFI, Impex, preorders, backorders, etc.

I guess I have never placed an order where only one item is on backorder while other items are in-stock. I have placed orders where I have multiple items on backorder and they shipped separately and pretty sure I have only been hit with shipping once. That blue ribbon has been there for awhile now.

@zdkaiser agreed that AS's prices never really cut you a break especially since their sales don't include most audiophile brands. BUT to counter that, their shipping/packaging is top notch and if it's an AP album I really want (like some of those Prestige APs), I'll order from them. Aside from the pricing on normal records, I've had no issues with them. Funny enough I think they were the first place I ever bought a new record from way back when. Used to get their mail order catalogue for some reason and bought the Nick Drake vinyl box set from them after saving up for months when I was in high school. I think the whole box set was like $70 or something which is crazy in hindsight when we see a 1LP is $40 now haha.

I've got a couple of Sundazed KPGs like this. No way he did the master...
Depends on the source really. A lot of times there's only so much these guys can do. There's an element of mastering to do the lacquer cutting from what I understand, but especially in the case of these remix albums, the lacquer cutting can't dress up a shitty remix/remaster.

Most of the KPG Sundazeds I have sound pretty solid. I know I'm a little biased though 😍 Most of my Sundazed issues though seem to be more of an issue with the pressing moreso than the master. I don't think any of my Sundazed albums are demo disc worthy or anything but in a lot of cases I'm happy enough with them to not seek out other pressings.

Depends on the source really. A lot of times there's only so much these guys can do. There's an element of mastering to do the lacquer cutting from what I understand, but especially in the case of these remix albums, the lacquer cutting can't dress up a shitty remix/remaster.

Most of the KPG Sundazeds I have sound pretty solid. I know I'm a little biased though 😍 Most of my Sundazed issues though seem to be more of an issue with the pressing moreso than the master. I don't think any of my Sundazed albums are demo disc worthy or anything but in a lot of cases I'm happy enough with them to not seek out other pressings.
Do you have Surfers Choice from Dick Dale? Love the album but dear God is it harsh. Says it's him on the master but... man, if it is then the OG master must be brutal.

Yep. i think sometimes people (including myself) forget that lacquer cut doesn't necessarily mean remaster. And when it's a remixed album, they can be really hit or miss. Bellers seems to have only cut this one so it's like putting lipstick on a pig.
Technically there is still what many would call mastering involved in the lacquer cutting and ways they can influence it, but if a lot of remixing/remastering was done to the source that was sent to them already, they can only work with what they get. Exactly, lipstick on a pig.

Do you have Surfers Choice from Dick Dale? Love the album but dear God is it harsh. Says it's him on the master but... man, if it is then the OG master must be brutal.
I don't have that one but also can't recall seeing any "audiophile" level stuff from Dick Dale so it's very possible that it was just poorly recorded/mastered to begin with.

Off the top of my head, I have:
Simon and Garfunkel - BOTW and Bookends
Leonard Cohen - Songs From A Room + Songs of Love and Hate
Buck Owens - self-titled and BOTW
Velvet Underground- self-titled comp
A johnny cash album and I think an Otis Rush?

Technically there is still what many would call mastering involved in the lacquer cutting and ways they can influence it, but if a lot of remixing/remastering was done to the source that was sent to them already, they can only work with what they get. Exactly, lipstick on a pig.
Right. A Lacquer cut can still influence the sound. But it seems very hard to "undo" something done in a remix. And it wouldn't be his job to undo something if the album was specifically remixed already by someone else. I was reading an interview with Hoffman this morning actually and in between being full of himself and patting himself on the back for all the great work he's done, he was talking about some interesting things re: lacquer cuts and how to influence sound using tubes and stuff.

I don't have that one but also can't recall seeing any "audiophile" level stuff from Dick Dale so it's very possible that it was just poorly recorded/mastered to begin with.

Off the top of my head, I have:
Simon and Garfunkel - BOTW and Bookends
Leonard Cohen - Songs From A Room + Songs of Love and Hate
Buck Owens - self-titled and BOTW
Velvet Underground- self-titled comp
A johnny cash album and I think an Otis Rush?

Right. A Lacquer cut can still influence the sound. But it seems very hard to "undo" something done in a remix. And it wouldn't be his job to undo something if the album was specifically remixed already by someone else. I was reading an interview with Hoffman this morning actually and in between being full of himself and patting himself on the back for all the great work he's done, he was talking about some interesting things re: lacquer cuts and how to influence sound using tubes and stuff.
Yeah, I've got sundazed kpg cuts of S&G Bookends, Dylan's mono BIABH and JWH, the Notorious Byrd Brothers, Nesmith's Nevada Fighter and Sly - Stand and like them all

Last edited:
Back