Definitive Audiophile pressings

Hmm I guess that means I won’t be getting that Allen Toussaint reissue after all. I’m feeling priced out if this hobby, which is a shame considering that the reason I started buying records in the early 2000s was precisely because they were dirt cheap.

I just ordered that release from JPC. It usually comes out cheaper than acoustic sounds anyway.

Just got a FedEx label created for this one…

Order Date: February 25, 2021
ItemStatusQtyTotal
Carole King - Tapestry (Limited Edition UltraDisc One-Step 45rpm Vinyl 2LP Box Set)
LMFUD1S030

Same here. Plus my order of Miles Davis' Bags Groove repress on Acoustic Sounds changed from backordered to shipped, it's a good day

Between price, scarcity (real or contrived), quality I see not only my used vinyl purchases going up, but my CD collection may be growing a bit as well.
The surge has sort of had the opposite effect on me wrt used vinyl. Used to buy used "best pressings" all the time, but prices have gone so crazy with sought after pressings there that I don't nearly as much anymore. Although I suppose the same is true for me for new audiophile reissues. Most of my vinyl purchases these days are new releases and reissues of long out of print albums with no alternative.

Some new releases are still crazy priced, but, of what I buy, they mainly tend to be tiny label or self released underground hip-hop albums and if I love the album, feel a bit better that the money is going directly to the artist instead of MoFi or AS. Still makes it harder to buy nearly as much as I used to though.

Last edited:
Just got a FedEx label created for this one…

Order Date: February 25, 2021
ItemStatusQtyTotal
Carole King - Tapestry (Limited Edition UltraDisc One-Step 45rpm Vinyl 2LP Box Set)
LMFUD1S030
I have mine ordered from Target so fingers crossed I actually get it haha. MoFi just emailed their newsletter saying its now shipping and is sold out.

They also included preorder links for a lot of the upcoming one steps. Muddy Waters I believe is up next, followed by maybe Clapton unplugged? Not sure if the picture order is accurate, but I had heard Muddy was in press now.

Yeah rumors are that distributors are telling record store owners that the next two Mofi one-steps after Tapestry are Muddy Waters Folk Singer and Clapton Unplugged, so I'm assuming that email shows what should be the next 6. Then again, last year they had some pop up out of nowhere like Pearl and Tapestry.

Yeah rumors are that distributors are telling record store owners that the next two Mofi one-steps after Tapestry are Muddy Waters Folk Singer and Clapton Unplugged, so I'm assuming that email shows what should be the next 6. Then again, last year they had some pop up out of nowhere like Pearl and Tapestry.
I feel like all the ones last season were out of the blue haha. Pearl, Tapesty and Eagles all seemed to come out of nowhere.

The surge has sort of had the opposite effect on me wrt used vinyl. Used to buy used "best pressings" all the time, but prices have gone so crazy with sought after pressings there that I don't nearly as much anymore. Although I suppose the same is true for me for new audiophile reissues. Most of my vinyl purchases these days are new releases and reissues of long out of print albums with no alternative.

Some new releases are still crazy priced, but, of what I buy, they mainly tend to be tiny label or self released underground hip-hop albums and if I love the album, feel a bit better that the money is going directly to the artist instead of MoFi or AS. Still makes it harder to buy nearly as much as I used to though.

That was my experience as I was hunting down a version of The Wall. I spent way too much time in various record stores seeing beat up copies or lesser pressings at like $25+ before just grabbing the newest Grundman pressing on a Target sale and selling a hold over player copy to pay for it. There's still a lot of room in the used market for popular albums where you can regularly get a decent copy between $1-$15 or so, albums not popular enough to get repressed easily, and for ones where the new releases are high end audiophile options, but I've definitely found myself eyeing good, new releases of albums that I wanted but were difficult to get cheaply.

Last edited:
That was my experience as I was hunting down a version of The Wall. I spent way too much time in various record stores seeing beat up copies or lesser pressings at like $25+ before just grabbing the newest Grundman pressing on a Target sale and selling a hold over player copy to pay for it. There's still a lot of room in the used market for popular albums where you can regularly get a decent copy between $1-$15 or so, albums not popular ones to get repressed easily, and for ones where the new releases are high end audiophile options, but I've definitely found myself eyeing good, new releases of albums that I wanted but were difficult to get cheaply.
Used prices for a lot of albums near me have gone insane. I checked out a few record shops near me after i moved a few months back. i'm fine with paying a few dollars extra at a local shop to not deal with bad grading or bad packaging from discogs sellers. but the bins were mostly full of VG or worse copies of albums priced at $15-$20. it's harder and harder to find decent deals on any desirable used records for me.

i used to try to find the best used pressings as well. they are nearly all out of reach for me now. 80s MoFis (which Hoffman forums swore sucked) are nearly all out of reach for me. Even 80s OJCs are now often $20+ and I used to see them for $5..... there are still some great, cheap reissues out there. I've been trying to scoop up a lot of the Rhino AAA reissues for example. those Jimi Hendrix family pressings too are among the best value in reissues.

my view of reissues has changed greatly in the past 5 years. also helps that i have more disposable income now than i did 5 or so years ago. but i'm usually happier with a clean reissue from a reputable engineer with a good source than I am trying to find a clean copy of a 40 year old pressing. doesn't stop me from looking, but I used to buy copies of older stuff even if it wasn't VG+ or better. I don't do that anymore unless it's REAL cheap...

In a strange way, I'm somewhat glad that AP raised the price because it makes me think twice before buying their pressings. I did the same with VMP. Now, I REALLY need to like the MoFis, APs, etc to purchase them at full price.

Plaidroom just posted some restocks…..

Edit: BW is now sold out.

And….

Last edited:
Plaidroom just posted some restocks…..

Edit: BW is now sold out.

And….

Just came here to post Candy-O, but since you beat me to it, I’ll add this

As long as we're promoting MoFi titles, there are several at 10,000 Hz. Kind of unusual these days to see so many available in one place.

As long as we're promoting MoFi titles, there are several at 10,000 Hz. Kind of unusual these days to see so many available in one place.

Not MoFi but this one is great too:

Back