Definitive Audiophile pressings

So my buddy got a new copy of Reach Out from The Motown mono series. He said his doesn’t have KPG in the deadwax. @Urbs_hott if you didn’t already order these, may want to contact AS or someone and see what the deal is. Seems strange for them to press the same 5 titles and recut them again in mono?

That’s the only one that doesn’t have the KPG in deadwax but I believe that’s how it was even on the initial release, and all of these were advertised as mastered by Gray so I don’t think it means anything

That’s the only one that doesn’t have the KPG in deadwax but I believe that’s how it was even on the initial release, and all of these were advertised as mastered by Gray so I don’t think it means anything
Strange. So he mastered but didn’t cut that one for some reason? The two I have both have KG in the deadwax so I had assumed he cut them all.

So my buddy got a new copy of Reach Out from The Motown mono series. He said his doesn’t have KPG in the deadwax. @Urbs_hott if you didn’t already order these, may want to contact AS or someone and see what the deal is. Seems strange for them to press the same 5 titles and recut them again in mono?

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up @MikeH, and thanks for the additional info @keylime_5!

I’ve already put in an order for a few of them including the Four Tops so I guess I’ll take my chances. If they sound great, that is the most important thing, but I do like to see the KPG in the wax!

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up @MikeH, and thanks for the additional info @keylime_5!

I’ve already put in an order for a few of them including the Four Tops so I guess I’ll take my chances. If they sound great, that is the most important thing, but I do like to see the KPG in the wax!

I can vouch for the Four Tops one being probably the best sounding of the bunch despite the weird dead wax omission

My buddy just got that Four Tops and said it still sounds great. Just thought it was strange that the series hyped KG as working on them all but it was missing in the dead wax!

There's still a lot of room in the used market for popular albums where you can regularly get a decent copy between $1-$15 or so, albums not popular enough to get repressed easily, and for ones where the new releases are high end audiophile options, but I've definitely found myself eyeing good, new releases of albums that I wanted but were difficult to get cheaply.
I have been focusing in on those 1-$15 popular albums on the used market that I don’t have because like @bettim84 I got into this in 1999 because I could do music discovery on the cheap with records. I have also returned to some of my older records and really appreciate their quality on my Fluance.

You think they beat originals?
I think people often get caught up in chasing OG pressings…I haven’t heard clean originals of Petty’s stuff, but for me with things like this I look at the price of solid reissues (like the bellman cuts) vs how easy/cheap it is to get a clean OG. In most cases I’ve given up on cheap OGs in very good shape for good prices

I think people often get caught up in chasing OG pressings…I haven’t heard clean originals of Petty’s stuff, but for me with things like this I look at the price of solid reissues (like the bellman cuts) vs how easy/cheap it is to get a clean OG. In most cases I’ve given up on cheap OGs in very good shape for good prices
I’ve got pretty clean originals of the early stuff but was curious if the CB cuts were the final say these….

Back