Definitive Audiophile pressings

they seem to be put up every monday now. but monday was a holiday here so it was posted yesterday instead. i'd keep an eye out next monday.

a few things i've learned about the series in the past few days...

*some people have backordered titles and NOT gotten copies. this seemed to happen with tenor madness--it came and went and people who had placed previous backorders did not get a copy while people who bought it when it went live were shipped copies. they seem to potentially be saving some copies for sale on the site and some for backorder while pushing other backorders to the next pressing.

*it seems that AP had jackets already printed for a lot of these titles, so that's why some of there seem to be really limited numbers. apparently there were 800 jackets for Lush Life lying around. the backup at stoughton is 8 months - 1 year according to chad.

*these titles are apparently going to be repressed again, but the jackets will be a huge holdup. might not get them in until next year.
I placed a backorder for 6 or 7 titles (including Soultrane) last week. My whole order was updated to “Q” so I’m assuming it means it worked and I’ll be getting that title.

Maybe people complained about Tenor Madness and they changed their allocation? Seems weird that they would allow people to backorder those titles only and then not allocate them first. Their goal is to sell them, so wouldn’t make much sense to put them up for sale without fulfilling backorders first.

I placed a backorder for 6 or 7 titles (including Soultrane) last week. My whole order was updated to “Q” so I’m assuming it means it worked and I’ll be getting that title.

Maybe people complained about Tenor Madness and they changed their allocation? Seems weird that they would allow people to backorder those titles only and then not allocate them first. Their goal is to sell them, so wouldn’t make much sense to put them up for sale without fulfilling backorders first.
yea--i think if you are getting it, your order will change to Q or W, then once it ships, everything else will go back to B. people also reported only being charged shipping once for backorders where things aren't fulfilled at the same time.

the only thinking behind backorders only getting partially allocated is to let other people buy them and keep building hype. apparently saxophone colossus already came and went to backorders only.

Unless.....they figure the backorders are 'in-the-bag' sales and anything they sell upon re-release is additional to that. And surely they create more frenzy by listing it for sale than if they got re-stock but only fulfilled backorders with it.

Unless.....they figure the backorders are 'in-the-bag' sales and anything they sell upon re-release is additional to that. And surely they create more frenzy by listing it for sale than if they got re-stock but only fulfilled backorders with it.
and you have people like myself and you adding in other records to get free shipping haha.

this stuff is gonna all get repressed apparently. just probably wont be back for a year or so unless stoughton somehow catches up.

these arrived today from the getimportCDs sale on ebay. nice pressings cut by BoomBoom and pressed at RTI for under $20 each:

young van morrison on the vocals.

Soooo, I don't want to speak too soon... And I haven't heard the previous Bellman RTI cut, but this new OKONOKOS pressing sounds pretty dang good. Deadwax is just one of those generic stamped matrix but it doesn't sound like a crappy generic Capitol mix. I'm not sure they would have remastered this, but also not sure if they could use the Bellman mix without any indication in the deadwax. Unsure how that works... Really nice package too.

But this is GZ so I'm sure one or more of these discs will be effed one way or another... But side one sounded really good to my ears. Would love to hear a comparison to the previous RTI CB pressing..
20220119_141000.jpg

Soooo, I don't want to speak too soon... And I haven't heard the previous Bellman RTI cut, but this new OKONOKOS pressing sounds pretty dang good. Deadwax is just one of those generic stamped matrix but it doesn't sound like a crappy generic Capitol mix. I'm not sure they would have remastered this, but also not sure if they could use the Bellman mix without any indication in the deadwax. Unsure how that works... Really nice package too.

But this is GZ so I'm sure one or more of these discs will be effed one way or another... But side one sounded really good to my ears. Would love to hear a comparison to the previous RTI CB pressing..
View attachment 125609
Glad they did a good job on it. Yeah, since this pressing has bonus cuts I doubt it’s the same Bellman cut regardless it’s done well and that’s the important thing.

Glad they did a good job on it. Yeah, since this pressing has bonus cuts I doubt it’s the same Bellman cut regardless it’s done well and that’s the important thing.
Yeah cogs has Gateway Mastering and Ludwig as the master. But I dunno, the deadwax doesn't really look like that. Think that might be wishful thinking. But it sounds real good so now I'm really curious about the first pressing and how they compare.

Yeah cogs has Gateway Mastering and Ludwig as the master. But I dunno, the deadwax doesn't really look like that. Think that might be wishful thinking. But it sounds real good so now I'm really curious about the first pressing and how they compare.
You can go ahead and send me your copy and I can A/B it to the original press and report back.

I haven't heard any CB cuts of TP other than Wildflowers, which is excellent. But I've got to say that my OG Pinckneyville pressing of Damn The Torpedoes sounds just right, like it's 1979 again.

His cuts of their debut, damn the torpedoes, southern accents and into the great wide open are all in my collection, all sound great and they were all €17 or less…

View attachment 125609
I can second that at the end of side 1, I lovingly looked at my turntable and shed a little tear at how good it sounded. Allegedly shed a tear.

Back