Definitive Audiophile pressings

Was thinking about the holes in my collection.

Any advice on the best sounding pressing of Peter Gabriel’s So ?
From what I remember that’s a tricky one. The 2016 45 half speed was very highly regarded but long OOP. There are complaints about sibilance on lots of the pressings of this album.

I have this one:

Can try to give it a listen this weekend but it’s probably digital sourcing

From what I remember that’s a tricky one. The 2016 45 half speed was very highly regarded but long OOP. There are complaints about sibilance on lots of the pressings of this album.

I have this one:

Can try to give it a listen this weekend but it’s probably digital sourcing
This one?

Yikes on the $$.

The longest side cut on 45 I have seen is Elvin Jones - Genesis Music Matters Side 1, which is 15 minutes. That's really the absolute limit, cutting a side that long at 45 the cutting lathe arm will literally lift if it goes longer. So really, the Muddy Waters couldn't fit, but it could have comfortably be 3 sides. But you can't charge as much for 3 sides as 4, even - as the pic above shows - there is huge wastage on each side.
I think the classic records Sketches of Spain 45 has a 16:20 track on one side. That’s the longest I have seen on 45. It’s why I was worried about the One Step of it because I don’t want it split across 2 sides but also a 16:20 track on 45 seems like a bad idea…people who have the classic records pressing seem to say it still sounds good. I’m sure it has its sonic drawbacks though and definitely seems like it’s pushing it. I’d rather just have a 33 at that point (and prefer 33 in general)

Picked up Jim Hall - Concierto (Pure pleasure pressing) and Alan Parsons Project Eye in the Sky (Speakers Corner). Both from JPC at the old prices and both sound awesome.

And The Return of Howard McGhee on Pure Pleasure was on sale for $15 at JPC. Pretty cool album with a solid lineup:

Was thinking about the holes in my collection.

Any advice on the best sounding pressing of Peter Gabriel’s So ?
Yea…I’m bummed that I missed out on it originally. It was still up on his site for awhile and I went for the 33 instead.
So what do you think of the 33 So? I have the 2016 33s of 1 and 4 and they sound great to me, and the 33 So is on my wishlist.

Speaking of So, liked the use of Don't Give Up in Somebody Somewhere on HBO

EDIT: Sorry, I see you're gonna listen and report back. The cogs review are pretty much very positive.

I think the classic records Sketches of Spain 45 has a 16:20 track on one side. That’s the longest I have seen on 45. It’s why I was worried about the One Step of it because I don’t want it split across 2 sides but also a 16:20 track on 45 seems like a bad idea…people who have the classic records pressing seem to say it still sounds good. I’m sure it has its sonic drawbacks though and definitely seems like it’s pushing it. I’d rather just have a 33 at that point (and prefer 33 in general)
Agree. That length on 45 just jams the grooves way too tight, the cutting has to be much too narrow. Just a bad idea. The Elvin Jones long 45 cut I have sounds great, but, it is pushing the limit.

IMO 45rpm is a fetish and a marketing gimmick. Sure, it can sound a bit better. But who cares? The difference is only noticeable with a direct comparison between 33 and 45, and then, it's not massive. If the music sounds great and you enjoy it, why seek out minute differences?

I got off the 45 boat pretty fast. It's just a pain in the ass for the most part. What a pain going across the room constantly to turn the side over. This was not how it was intended at all.

So what do you think of the 33 So? I have the 2016 33s of 1 and 4 and they sound great to me, and the 33 So is on my wishlist.

Speaking of So, liked the use of Don't Give Up in Somebody Somewhere on HBO

EDIT: Sorry, I see you're gonna listen and report back. The cogs review are pretty much very positive.
Yea I’ll try to give it a spin today and report back!

hey The Dans (@Viking Dan @dansomeone ) — had a quick chance to spin the first side of the 33 of So. Sounds pretty solid to me! Quiet pressing and flat. Sledgehammer slaps. Didn’t notice sibilance on side A. I believe I got this one from Peter Gabriel’s site but this is the version I have. It’s an EU pressing:

hey The Dans (@Viking Dan @dansomeone ) — had a quick chance to spin the first side of the 33 of So. Sounds pretty solid to me! Quiet pressing and flat. Sledgehammer slaps. Didn’t notice sibilance on side A. I believe I got this one from Peter Gabriel’s site but this is the version I have. It’s an EU pressing:

Good to know. Seems like Pete's doing a solid job with his catalog

Hahaha thank you friend..I bought it and I'll spin it on Saturday. So we shall see. I suspect it will be good but there will likely be a lot of noise on the masters as a result of it being recorded in 1936. So I'm not expecting miracles but hopefully it's decent.
Did you end up getting to spin this @Mather?

Did you end up getting to spin this @Mather?
I did! So yes, it sounds good but they did not remove the tape hiss and general noise. His voice and guitar are nice and clear but there's no doubt you're listening to something recorded in 1936. I suspect it was an artistic choice not to remove the hiss, I don't think it would have been all that difficult to do so. Press seems quite clean.
If you want to hear what it sounds like, go to Tidal and give it a listen. It appears to be the same master, or something very similar.

Last edited:
I did! So yes, it sounds good but they did not remove the tape hiss and general noise. His voice and guitar are nice and clear but there's no doubt you're listening to something recorded in 1936. I suspect it was an artistic choice not to remove the hiss, I don't think it would have been all that difficult to do so. Press seems quite clean.
If you want to hear what it sounds like, go to Tidal and give it a listen. It appears to be the same master, or something very similar.
Thank you good sir!

Picked up Jim Hall - Concierto (Pure pleasure pressing) and Alan Parsons Project Eye in the Sky (Speakers Corner). Both from JPC at the old prices and both sound awesome.

And The Return of Howard McGhee on Pure Pleasure was on sale for $15 at JPC. Pretty cool album with a solid lineup:

Concierto is AWESOME… agreed

For any Built To Spill fans, I just picked up the 2020 repress of Keep It Like A Secret from Plaidroom and it appears to use the same plates as the 2007 AAA Because Sound Matters pressing. 2xLP AAA RTI Boom Boom for $23. Might be floating around other shops as well.

For any Built To Spill fans, I just picked up the 2020 repress of Keep It Like A Secret from Plaidroom and it appears to use the same plates as the 2007 AAA Because Sound Matters pressing. 2xLP AAA RTI Boom Boom for $23. Might be floating around other shops as well.

Perfect From Now On also uses the KPG plates and sounds marvelous.

Back