Definitive Audiophile pressings

I actually prefer the Hudson HiFi inners over MoFi, as they’re not quite as flimsy.
I haven’t tried the Hudson and I am too OCD at this point to switch to something else but the reason I prefer MoFi is because they are fairly ubiquitous and are super consistent in quality. I tried a few other brands prior to committing to MoFi and ran into issue with the sleeves being different sizes or not being perfectly square.

Anyone have their finger on the pulse of a great sounding (doesn't necessarily have to be definitive) pressing of In a Silent Way?

I'd settle for any Jazz Fusion era Miles as well.
There are so many good versions, and deservedly so. Really depends on how much you want to spend. I have the 2008 Legacy pressing (done at Sterling) and very happy with it. Though nothing indicating it, it appears to be AAA. It was readily available for a reasonable price a couple of years ago but not sure any more.

Anyone have their finger on the pulse of a great sounding (doesn't necessarily have to be definitive) pressing of In a Silent Way?

Got this one and it sounds pretty damn good I gotta say. Someone else owns it here, @MikeH ?

I got this from Record City in Japan. It sounds very good to me.

Got this one and it sounds pretty damn good I gotta say. Someone else owns it here, @MikeH ?
Not me! But I have heard good things about that one and the one that @jamieanderson1968 talked about. No clue if either is AAA but they do seem to have solid reviews and prices are affordable.

I have the MoFi which is awesome but I don't really think it's worth the price it's going for these days. Was hoping they would reissue it on supervinyl but it's curiously missing from all the Miles reissues from MoFi that are coming up.

For other jazz fusion era Miles, Bitches Brew hasn't had an AAA reissue in what seems like forever. There's the One Step coming up, but probably overkill. I'd look at some of the MOV pressings for Miles' other fusion albums. I know they did Miles in the Sky which has good reviews on discogs. I've been generally happy with MOV pressings even though the sources are vague at best. They also did Jack Johnson and not sure what others of Miles' fusion era stuff. There will be supervinyls from MoFi for a bunch of Miles' albums too coming up but no release date. I think those are gonna be $60 a piece.

Live Evil had a RSD release for black friday I think, so might be worth looking into that. I've seen it for pretty cheap. Maybe someone here picked it up and can speak to the quality?

Billy Squier is finally in stock from IR!

For other jazz fusion era Miles, Bitches Brew hasn't had an AAA reissue in what seems like forever. There's the One Step coming up, but probably overkill. I'd look at some of the MOV pressings for Miles' other fusion albums. I know they did Miles in the Sky which has good reviews on discogs. I've been generally happy with MOV pressings even though the sources are vague at best. They also did Jack Johnson and not sure what others of Miles' fusion era stuff. There will be supervinyls from MoFi for a bunch of Miles' albums too coming up but no release date. I think those are gonna be $60 a piece.

Live Evil had a RSD release for black friday I think, so might be worth looking into that. I've seen it for pretty cheap. Maybe someone here picked it up and can speak to the quality?
Yes sadly a AAA Bitches Brew is a rare beast these days. The 40th anniversary box set is pricey, but still the cheapest way to get a AAA version.

I picked up the last 3 RSD releases and really like them. Ghetto Walk (In A Silent Way), Double Image (Bitches Brew) and Champions (Jack Johnson). All three are compilations of music recorded during those sessions. Interesting to hear as the final album versions are very much edited of the sessions.

I bought the MOFI pressing from NewcastleSpinner a year ago and it's killer. It was my second dip into the MOFI's (alongside Jim Hall/Bill Evans).

I'm usually someone that goes for original pressings over reissues where possible, but I have to say that the MOFI is killer, although I just looked at the going rate and I'm flabbergasted!

I bought the MOFI pressing from NewcastleSpinner a year ago and it's killer. It was my second dip into the MOFI's (alongside Jim Hall/Bill Evans).

I'm usually someone that goes for original pressings over reissues where possible, but I have to say that the MOFI is killer, although I just looked at the going rate and I'm flabbergasted!

All those Miles MoFis could be had for so cheap years ago. Amazon had In A Silent Way and Sketches of Spain for $20 or under at some point when I bought them. The MoFi boom has been pretty insane...I really regret passing on so many other ones that I can no longer afford. I'm hoping they reissue a lot of their older titles, even if it's on the supervinyl format or something.

Just got a US pressing of Michael Hedges- Aerial Boundaries. Holy shit does it sound good. Bernie Grundman master, though it is a digital recording. Great instrumental, mainly solo, acoustic guitar Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries

There’s also a Boom Boom cut for Audio Fidelity that I’m sure sounds amazing too. OOP though.

I haven't heard any other version, but picked up this KG cut at a reasonable price.

Back