Definitive Audiophile pressings

Your setup is definitely better than mine, so you may notice more of an audible difference.

But I do recall when I first opened the 45 rpm version and I was inspecting the discs, I was kind of shocked at how little was pressed to each record. My immediate reaction was, "ugh...I should have bought the 33."

I ended up purchasing the 33 rpm version months later (once it was repressed) because I love the album but I just didn't find myself listening to the 45 because I didn't want to be bothered flipping it so frequently. Totally kills the vibe for me. I don't mind other 45 rpm records I own, but this Muddy seemed like too much of a "workout" to simply enjoy the music. Granted most of the 45 rpm albums I own have at least 12 - 15 minutes per side.
Do you realize that it could easily have been cut at 45rpm on a single record? The only reason to do it on two records is price gouging.

Do you realize that it could easily have been cut at 45rpm on a single record? The only reason to do it on two records is price gouging.
It looks like it would be roughly 17 minutes of music per side, can you squeeze that much onto a 45? It's probably right around there somewhere in terms of max amount yes?

Mentioned this a week or so ago, but just got this one last night and it's pretty awesome.

The studio it was recorded at is located directly above Record Industry in the netherlands. They have done a whole series now of recording single-take albums directly to acetate. Then they walk it downstairs to RI and press it up. It's a pretty great sounding record. OOS it seems in a lot of places but I'd recommend it if you see it! They have done a few other artists in this series too.

This entire series is awesome. Highly recommended! In addition to this one, I really love the Gary Bartz x Maisha and Sarathy Korwar ones.

It looks like it would be roughly 17 minutes of music per side, can you squeeze that much onto a 45? It's probably right around there somewhere in terms of max amount yes?
The longest side cut on 45 I have seen is Elvin Jones - Genesis Music Matters Side 1, which is 15 minutes. That's really the absolute limit, cutting a side that long at 45 the cutting lathe arm will literally lift if it goes longer. So really, the Muddy Waters couldn't fit, but it could have comfortably be 3 sides. But you can't charge as much for 3 sides as 4, even - as the pic above shows - there is huge wastage on each side.

The longest side cut on 45 I have seen is Elvin Jones - Genesis Music Matters Side 1, which is 15 minutes. That's really the absolute limit, cutting a side that long at 45 the cutting lathe arm will literally lift if it goes longer. So really, the Muddy Waters couldn't fit, but it could have comfortably be 3 sides. But you can't charge as much for 3 sides as 4, even - as the pic above shows - there is huge wastage on each side.
Totally agree. That side one is hilarious.

The other thing I'd be a little concerned with for this particular album at 45 is "My Captain". That track is like 50% dead silence. The extra surface area you're running over at 45 would have a much greater possibility for audible pops and noise than a 33 I would think. Not a huge issue, but I do wonder how these One Steps are gunna turn out. There's a hell of a lot of dead black silence on this album...

Last edited:
Thanks, but nope, not me. :D Surf's Up is the one I'm most interested in. (And I don't think AP ever did that one?)

EDIT: Wrong, they did, but it's a pricey one at this point.
It should come back into stock I think? I had it on backorder for the old price. Ah I thought you had gotten the sunflower/surfs up sessions reissue and said it was pretty bad but now I remember it was Surfs up you wanted more!

It should come back into stock I think? I had it on backorder for the old price. Ah I thought you had gotten the sunflower/surfs up sessions reissue and said it was pretty bad but now I remember it was Surfs up you wanted more!
Yeah, it was the Feel Flows release that I tried, but ended up returning it because it was horrible. For now, I'm settling for an OG Surf's Up I have until a repress comes along.

This is all I needed. I have the 33 and it's up there with the best sounding albums in my collection and I honestly wasn't sure how much better it could really be. If the takeaway is "slightly but it's 7 minutes a side" I'll stick with the 33. I found the 45 of Brubeck Time Out beat out the 33 by enough that it was worth it. But I'll give this one a miss.
Dammit, I have the Time Out 33...

FWIW I have both the AP SRV 33 & 45 rpm boxes. Both boxes are great. These I have compared extensively. The 45s are definitely better but you really only notice it when directly going from one to the other.

Back