Definitive Audiophile pressings

Not really. Chad is just lining his pockets now. He put through a massive price increase ($600 to $900!!?? Really??) and has now taken his plant to pressing only his titles. Why bother pressing for anyone else when you can gouge like this?

And people will keep on doing his marketing for him by announcing represses.
I saw that, and it’s an unbelievably steep increase! But I don’t really care that he’s lining his pockets. He’s been at this for a long time (including many lean years), puts out great products, costs of all materials, labor, and supply services are up, and he’s looking at demand that is through the roof.

I know there are good reasons to disagree w/ that opinion, and I have them when it comes to many products that are closer to what people need, as opposed to what people want, and all this music is readily available for free and almost all on affordable vinyl.

My response to the increases is to be more selective about what I buy. The ratio of what I buy to what I want has shifted w/ the recent price increases.

Watched the video, he says any backorders wont be charged until they ship and to just order what you want right now, but when my Soultrane backorder was placed I was definitely charged immediately. I don't want to order $600 of albums or whatever and be hit with that bill upfront. Really trepedacious about placing a backorder on the ones I really want.

Watched the video, he says any backorders wont be charged until they ship and to just order what you want right now, but when my Soultrane backorder was placed I was definitely charged immediately. I don't want to order $600 of albums or whatever and be hit with that bill upfront. Really trepedacious about placing a backorder on the ones I really want.
For my Soultrane order, the charge showed up like a hold. Then disappeared.

If JPC sells the Bill Evans box I might be interested but that price alone is a lot and then with all the additional taxes and fees it’s far too much.

Aren’t the Bill Evans titles owned by Craft? I wonder what the chances are of some audiophile craft pressings coming out, maybe even a few One Steps? They seem to have been done by AP, Mofi & ERC now.

Miles in Tokyo - MOV Pressing.

Picked this up for a little over $20 a few weeks back. Really impressed with the sound quality and pressing. Worth checking out if you are in search of a high quality live Miles album.

Bass – Ron Carter
Drums – Tony Williams*
Piano – Herbie Hancock
Tenor Saxophone – Sam Rivers
Trumpet – Miles Davis

Last edited:
If JPC sells the Bill Evans box I might be interested but that price alone is a lot and then with all the additional taxes and fees it’s far too much.

Aren’t the Bill Evans titles owned by Craft? I wonder what the chances are of some audiophile craft pressings coming out, maybe even a few One Steps? They seem to have been done by AP, Mofi & ERC now.
Which Evans box? The AP Riverside box?

Yes— concord owns Riverside. So far they have farmed out the production of those AAA Evans to the companies you mentioned. I kinda get the impression that they aren’t all that interested in doing one steps that have already been done by other companies so I’d probably rule out Portrait and Village Vanguard for one steps. I wanna say Waltz for Debby’s tapes are shot (pretty sure I read that somewhere).

Hmmm, what’re the essential prestige sessions worth pre-ordering

All the Rollins, Coltrane, and Miles Davis. Lightnin Hopkins' Goin Away is supposed to be top notch.
I would rank these as the most essential:

Miles Davis - Relaxin
Miles Davis - Cookin
Miles Davis - Steamin
John Coltrane - Lush Life
John Coltrane - Soultrane
John Coltrane - Coltrane
John Coltrane - With the Red Garland Trio
John Coltrane/Prestige All Stars - All Mornin Long
John Coltrane - Standard Coltrane
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Sonny Rollins - Plays for Bird
Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness
Eric Dolphy - At the Five Spot Vol 1
Elmo Hope - Informal Jazz
Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny
Jackie McLean - Lights Out!
Hank Mobley - Mobley's Message
Tommy Flanagan - Overseas
Kenny Burrell - Bluesey Burrell
Lightnin Hopkins - Goin Away

plus the all Booker Ervin and Eric Dolphy stuff too. The ones that are ranked higher on their best sellers list are there for a reason, though I think Lights Out is being underrated by the public. Lights Out!, Informal Jazz, Overseas, Mobley's Message, Quiet Kenny, Coltrane were all done by ERC for like $500

All the Rollins, Coltrane, and Miles Davis. Lightnin Hopkins' Goin Away is supposed to be top notch.
I would rank these as the most essential:

Miles Davis - Relaxin
Miles Davis - Cookin
Miles Davis - Steamin
John Coltrane - Lush Life
John Coltrane - Soultrane
John Coltrane - Coltrane
John Coltrane - With the Red Garland Trio
John Coltrane/Prestige All Stars - All Mornin Long
John Coltrane - Standard Coltrane
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Sonny Rollins - Plays for Bird
Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness
Eric Dolphy - At the Five Spot Vol 1
Elmo Hope - Informal Jazz
Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny
Jackie McLean - Lights Out!
Hank Mobley - Mobley's Message
Tommy Flanagan - Overseas
Kenny Burrell - Bluesey Burrell
Lightnin Hopkins - Goin Away

plus the all Booker Ervin and Eric Dolphy stuff too. The ones that are ranked higher on their best sellers list are there for a reason, though I think Lights Out is being underrated by the public. Lights Out!, Informal Jazz, Overseas, Mobley's Message, Quiet Kenny, Coltrane were all done by ERC for like $500
So half of them? 🤣 I don’t disagree…

I caved and bought Goin Away a few months before the reissues were announced. It’s beyond excellent. I think I paid $65 on eBay and don’t regret it at all.

I have all the other Hopkins on backorder, Bluesy Burrell, Overseas, the coltranes and Elmo Hope all on backorder. I’ll add the Miles too I think…and Lights Out at some point.

I have the AP33, I am good right? I don't need this. I think. Right?
I think this is an excuse for me to finally get the AP33. Unless I luck out and get the one step on sale again. My $86 Tapestry one step is doing the dreaded approve delays thing lately…won’t be heartbroken if I don’t get it though.

Haha pretty much. I narrowed it down to 8 titles plus all of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Sonny Rollins. Those Booker Ervin records sound really good too.

Back