Definitive Audiophile pressings

Please be careful not to confuse the talented jazz musician with Canada's racist, bigoted uncle.
Yeah, I misspoke when I said Grapes was a great quote and could have been more specific about that. He said alarming things during his stay in Denver around 1980 and got worse, much worse, as time went by. Certainly stuff I don’t condone. Sorry, my comment could have been left unsaid.

Yeah, I misspoke when I said Grapes was a great quote and could have been more specific about that. He said alarming things during his stay in Denver around 1980 and got worse, much worse, as time went by. Certainly stuff I don’t condone. Sorry, my comment could have been left unsaid.
All good man, I got the sarcasm. He's terrible.

All good man, I got the sarcasm. He's terrible.
LOL. I was at the Montreal Forum as a kid when, during a playoff Cup finals game, Cherry called a time out late in the 3rd with the Bruins leading, and turned around to sign autographs in the stands. When play resumed, the Bruins were caught with too many men on the ice, penalty ensued, Canadiens scored and went on to win in overtime. After Boston lost that series after leading 3-1, Cherry was fired.

An entertainer, but he was never a very good coach, and as he got to be a hockey celebrity his head got bigger than his brain and he became more outrageous, culminating in bigotry, sexism and stupidity. He was an icon for a long period, but now is pretty much a nobody.

Last edited:
A summary of my inner thoughts over the last hour or so:

Oh, talk about Japanese pressings in the definitive audiophile thread. Been a while since checked out what's new at Record City. Hum, these three Stones records look interesting and price is good. Oh, and an EX copy of Avalon. Sure why not?

Oh, talk about Japanese pressings in the definitive audiophile thread. Been a while since checked out what's new at Record City. Hum, these three Stones records look interesting and price is good. Oh, and an EX copy of Avalon. Sure why not?
It's a very dangerous pastime! I've started perusing their daily arrivals, which on most days number in the thousands!! (Thankfully they can be filtered in a variety of ways.) Just hard to know what might have enough demand to sell out of your cart before you decide to pull the trigger. But even then, there's always tomorrow's thousands....

It's a very dangerous pastime! I've started perusing their daily arrivals, which on most days number in the thousands!! (Thankfully they can be filtered in a variety of ways.) Just hard to know what might have enough demand to sell out of your cart before you decide to pull the trigger. But even then, there's always tomorrow's thousands....

If you have a chance to pick up an EX copy of 28MM 0172 of Avalon go for it. It’s a great pressing of a great recording.

If you have a chance to pick up an EX copy of 28MM 0172 of Avalon go for it. It’s a great pressing of a great recording.

That's exactly what I picked up! Great to hear! I have 3 other Roxy Music japanese pressings and they're all quite nice.

The three Stones I got are Some Girls, Black & Blue and Emotional Rescue. I kind of went for the late 70's there. I read a bunch of good things about Emotional Rescue in particular. Know anything on these?

That's exactly what I picked up! Great to hear! I have 3 other Roxy Music japanese pressings and they're all quite nice.

The three Stones I got are Some Girls, Black & Blue and Emotional Rescue. I kind of went for the late 70's there. I read a bunch of good things about Emotional Rescue in particular. Know anything on these?
If you are asking me, I sorta quit the Stones after Sticky Fingers. The nexus of that and their prior three albums has satisfied me for this lifetime. 👍

Some more intervention records info I just saw.

The Dude SACD mastering is done by KG. It was done for an old Audio Fidelity project that didn’t come out. They are trying to get the master tapes for it to do for vinyl.

They are also working on doing a reissue for Kerosene Hat by Cracker. In early stages so probably won’t be done for a bit but it’s a pretty cool record!

Some more intervention records info I just saw.

The Dude SACD mastering is done by KG. It was done for an old Audio Fidelity project that didn’t come out. They are trying to get the master tapes for it to do for vinyl.

They are also working on doing a reissue for Kerosene Hat by Cracker. In early stages so probably won’t be done for a bit but it’s a pretty cool record!
Vinyl or SACD? Would buy that on vinyl just to hear “Low.”

This MoFi One Step of Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" is incredible. I don't have the AP 45 to compare to but this is far and away my best sounding album. Feels like I'm in the room with them playing. It will be the album I use to test all new components and show people what vinyl/ good mastering can do.

Need that Shelly Manne's Hole album! Good pick ups, HIGHLY recommend the 80's OJC of Bill Evan's Interplay
I saw an OJC of Shelly Manne's Hole yesterday and totally forgot that you were looking for it. I almost picked it up anyway...but if you're looking for it, might be worth messaging Station One Books and Vinyl: Login • Instagram

Every time I've gone there, they have had a bunch of older OJCs for $10-$20.

This MoFi One Step of Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" is incredible. I don't have the AP 45 to compare to but this is far and away my best sounding album. Feels like I'm in the room with them playing. It will be the album I use to test all new components and show people what vinyl/ good mastering can do.
Don't tell me this please 😬

I may end up picking up the AP33 just because I think I'll play it more and have heard excellent things about the APs. But the One Step has been tempting...

I saw an OJC of Shelly Manne's Hole yesterday and totally forgot that you were looking for it. I almost picked it up anyway...but if you're looking for it, might be worth messaging Station One Books and Vinyl: Login • Instagram

Every time I've gone there, they have had a bunch of older OJCs for $10-$20.
I love Station One! Go there every couple weeks or so, such a cool shop and better than most in the area. They always have great jazz stuff/unique LPs. They also pay REALLY well for used stuff. I’ve brought a decent amount there recently and received much more than I expected.

I love Station One! Go there every couple weeks or so, such a cool shop and better than most in the area. They always have great jazz stuff/unique LPs. They also pay REALLY well for used stuff. I’ve brought a decent amount there recently and received much more than I expected.
Wait did I know you lived somewhat near me?? haha. It's about 30 min from me. I actually brought a huge stack of records and CDs there yesterday to sell. They gave me $250ish for about 45 albums and some CDs which I thought was not too bad. And they knocked the price off of some of the albums I was buying too. I definitely could have gotten more by selling those all on my own, but not really worth the headache. They are super nice there and it's definitely the best record store I've found near me, but it's a little too far to go to all the time. My wife is happy about that hah.

The other shop in that town is cool too. A bit of a madhouse (a shop where the owner is the only person who knows where everything is) but the owner there is nice too. Their prices are a little high but they do have some great stuff. And they also have a lot of RTI reissues that have been sitting there for years at non-marked up prices. That's much more of a "digging" experience if you want to go through stacks and stacks of albums all over the place.

Back