Definitive Audiophile pressings

Wait did I know you lived somewhat near me?? haha. It's about 30 min from me. I actually brought a huge stack of records and CDs there yesterday to sell. They gave me $250ish for about 45 albums and some CDs which I thought was not too bad. And they knocked the price off of some of the albums I was buying too. I definitely could have gotten more by selling those all on my own, but not really worth the headache. They are super nice there and it's definitely the best record store I've found near me, but it's a little too far to go to all the time. My wife is happy about that hah.

The other shop in that town is cool too. A bit of a madhouse (a shop where the owner is the only person who knows where everything is) but the owner there is nice too. Their prices are a little high but they do have some great stuff. And they also have a lot of RTI reissues that have been sitting there for years at non-marked up prices. That's much more of a "digging" experience if you want to go through stacks and stacks of albums all over the place.
I live about 30 minutes away as well, closer to NYC in Bergen County, NJ. I had the same experience - I had a ton of records I didn’t really listen to and didn’t have the time to sell them all individually for what I would get. Would’ve definitely made more on my own but they gave me close to 50% on most of it and I wound up trading in for higher priced stuff that I knew I would actually listen to haha. I appreciate that they look up the Discogs average of most items, whereas other shops near me look to just give bulk prices.

On the RTI point, I have found some great “older” pressings that were still their original price there. Their new stuff doesn’t seem to move as much, I’ve found some goodies in there. Ive only been there a couple times though.

Station 1 has a really great used CD selection, which I appreciate now more than ever with the price of some records haha

Any good, semi affordable options for Trane Blue Train these days or best to wait it out for now ?
If you're willing to place an order with record city, this version is quite good.

I’m really surprised this hasn’t been a BN classics yet, and with the second iteration being less warhorse titles, not sure it will ever be.

Me too, I did wonder if they were holding back to do a special release for the 65th anniversary, or maybe just saw how many Coltrane releases where happening with the Impulse reissues.

Me too, I did wonder if they were holding back to do a special release for the 65th anniversary, or maybe just saw how many Coltrane releases where happening with the Impulse reissues.
I am sure Blue Note are well aware of the demand. Without a doubt they won't leave money on the table for a title like this, so it is only a matter of time.

Asked Shane at IR about whether or not The Dude would be done by them on vinyl since they are doing the SACD. I had mentioned that VMP did The Dude as part of their Quincy box set.

"Can someone confirm The Dude from VMP is 100% analog? Who mastered that? I ask because AF did not get the master tape from UME, and UME tells me the best analog they have is a 1/2" safety copy in the UK."

So it'll be interesting to see if he ends up still trying to do a vinyl pressing or sticks to the SACD.

Got my Sundazed warehouse finds delivery today. As suspected, the Leonard Cohen - New Skin For The Old Ceremony is a KG cut as well. Seems like KG recut most, if not all, of the Leonard Cohen Sundazed titles but they aren't even in discogs.

@yukbon if you see this pressing elsewhere, it's likely a KG cut now.

Last edited:
We knew most of this already...but the AS Contemporary Series has gone live for preorder now:
View attachment 131480

We are very proud to announce the Contemporary Records Acoustic Sounds series, which begins with six album releases from the Contemporary Records catalog, celebrating 70 years of the legendary jazz label.

Beginning on May 13th with the release of Art Pepper + Eleven: Modern Jazz Classics, the series also includes Barney Kessel, Shelly Manne, Ray Brown – The Poll Winners (6/10), Hampton Hawes, Barney Kessel, Shelly Manne, Red Mitchell – Four! (7/15), Benny Carter – Jazz Giant (8/12), Shelly Manne & His Friends – My Fair Lady (9/9), and Art Pepper – Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (11/11).

Each title, originally engineered by Roy DuNann and/or Howard Holzer, features all-analog mastering from the original tapes by legendary engineer Bernie Grundman (himself a former employee of the label), and is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Quality Record Pressings (QRP) and presented in a Stoughton Old Style Tip-On Jacket.

Hi-Res Digital (96/24 and 192/24) and CraftRecordings.com exclusive SACD formats of each title will also be made available on the same dates as each LP release.

This MoFi One Step of Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" is incredible. I don't have the AP 45 to compare to but this is far and away my best sounding album. Feels like I'm in the room with them playing. It will be the album I use to test all new components and show people what vinyl/ good mastering can do.
Great to hear:cool: My copy is out for delivery and I have been wanting to know what initial thoughts are. This was not a cheap assumption to make.

Just opened the MW Folk Singer.
First thoughts and question, the records are pretty dirty. FOD paper shreds or some other misc stuff from the box packaging. Hit it with some AIVS super cleaner. A little surface noise. Is this normal on first time play back with some deburring or anything?
Man the right channel gets a work out with this one!

Just had my mind blown by what now will be my #1 demonstration track for my system. Recently purchased Sade's This Far box set. Cleaned them all yesterday and today played the first record, Diamond Life, and the first track, Smooth Operator, is absolutely stunning. The three-dimensional depth, the sound quality, the percussive power, man, it all comes together in a pretty special way. It was the 4th or 5th record I listened to today and while I'd been futzing with speaker placement and trying to decide if I was totally happy with the sound from the other albums, when this came on it was just completely beyond such question. It was a transportive moment--just the kind you need every once in a while to help justify the time/money/obsession with this crazy pastime. :D

This MoFi One Step of Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" is incredible. I don't have the AP 45 to compare to but this is far and away my best sounding album. Feels like I'm in the room with them playing. It will be the album I use to test all new components and show people what vinyl/ good mastering can do.
I played the set through a few rounds and ran over VCM a few times.
Playing now with a DL-103R cart.

Everything you described is fact.
Superb!

Just had my mind blown by what now will be my #1 demonstration track for my system. Recently purchased Sade's This Far box set. Cleaned them all yesterday and today played the first record, Diamond Life, and the first track, Smooth Operator, is absolutely stunning. The three-dimensional depth, the sound quality, the percussive power, man, it all comes together in a pretty special way. It was the 4th or 5th record I listened to today and while I'd been futzing with speaker placement and trying to decide if I was totally happy with the sound from the other albums, when this came on it was just completely beyond such question. It was a transportive moment--just the kind you need every once in a while to help justify the time/money/obsession with this crazy pastime. :D
Just ordered the box set myself, can't wait!

Not many sadly...I have this one which isn't BAD but supposedly sounds better than any other of her vinyl releases out there.
I held out on the bad pressings of this one for while, the Abbey Road 1/2 speed pressing popped up on Amz for 40% off. so I used up some gift card I had left from the holidays. Will have it in a few days and let everyone know my thoughts. Hoping it's enjoyable.

Amazon product ASIN B01IO5Q3MG

Last edited:
Back