Definitive Audiophile pressings

Then look for the earlier British Absolute Analogue pressing which is better and has the original artwork, not the weak American art. The Drastic is good but the Absolute Analogue is better. And while you're at it, pick up the Absolute Analogue Mott LP as well.
I’ve had the Mott self titled on my wantlist for a bit but it’s around $70 now sadly

Easily worth the $70 for the original cover art alone!
The ATYD version is around $40-50 from absolute analogue and probably would have gotten that if I didn’t get the KG cut for under MSRP a year or two ago! I’ll keep my eye out for the self titled Mott at a cheaper price though

Last edited:
This is a very confusing discussion since the band, Mott the Hoople, have an album titled Mott the Hoople, an album titled Mott, and an album titled Hoople (and Mott the Hoople Live, but I don't think that's on the table here). Which of these are you referring to as their 'self-titled' album? Would seem it should be Mott the Hoople, but I don't think there's an Absolute Analogue pressing of that one, nor is there a change to the cover art as far as I can tell. So is it Mott? (That is what @RHANDMJ referenced, so seems likely, but also could be shorthand haha.)

This is a very confusing discussion since the band, Mott the Hoople, have an album titled Mott the Hoople, and album titled Mott, and an album titled Hoople (and Mott the Hoople Live, but I don't think that's on the table here). Which of these are you referring to as their 'self-titled' album? Would seem it should be Mott the Hoople, but I don't think there's an Absolute Analogue pressing of that one, nor is there a change to the cover art as far as I can tell. So is it Mott? (That is what @RHANDMJ referenced, so seems likely, but also could be shorthand haha.)
Yes —Mott. Forgot all their album titles are pretty much the same haha

This is a very confusing discussion since the band, Mott the Hoople, have an album titled Mott the Hoople, an album titled Mott, and an album titled Hoople (and Mott the Hoople Live, but I don't think that's on the table here). Which of these are you referring to as their 'self-titled' album? Would seem it should be Mott the Hoople, but I don't think there's an Absolute Analogue pressing of that one, nor is there a change to the cover art as far as I can tell. So is it Mott? (That is what @RHANDMJ referenced, so seems likely, but also could be shorthand haha.)
The S/T was on Island - Mott The Hoople. Mott is a later album on Columbia. That is the one done by Absolute Analogue.

The Hoople is their last true album, again on CBS/Columbia, with the subsequent live album a contract cleanup release.

What’s a better, affordable pressing of The Velvet Underground and Nico? (Warhol banana)
The recent half speed Master should be available. I think it sounded as good as a standard, non-audiophile pressing is going to.

None of the AAA versions are affordable these days.

The recent half speed Master should be available. I think it sounded as good as a standard, non-audiophile pressing is going to.

I can second this one. I had an 80s press (not AAA), but the half-speed master sounded better.

Agreed! This one is surprisingly decent given the awful review that 45RPM guy gave it. I happen to agree with him on most of the other abbey road half speeds, but if you can find these half speeds on sale, they are pretty good! Can usually find them at Sound of Vinyl for around $20-25 on sale.

I can second this one. I had an 80s press (not AAA), but the half-speed master sounded better.
My first copy was bought mid-80s at college, it's this one:

Since then I have picked up
and

My question was, literally, for a friend - I am OK with the ones I have unless I run across a cleaner OP or a mono.

My first copy was bought mid-80s at college, it's this one:

Since then I have picked up
and

My question was, literally, for a friend - I am OK with the ones I have unless I run across a cleaner OP or a mono.
The Sundazed Mono box is a solid reissue but I don’t think those are affordable currently.

@Mather -- i picked up the TVOTR - Desperate Youth pressing. Can't really decipher any difference between 2019 and 2004 pressing, but mine is pressed at RTI and sounds good!

@Mather -- i picked up the TVOTR - Desperate Youth pressing. Can't really decipher any difference between 2019 and 2004 pressing, but mine is pressed at RTI and sounds good!
Yep and considering it was shockingly only $24 CAD for a 2 LP I'm assuming it was real cheap down there too...

Interesting thing is Amazon.ca has BIABH, Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde as pre-orders for awhile now, with a release in April I think. Not sure of any pressing info

Back