Definitive Audiophile pressings

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Marvin Gaye What's Going On Detroit Mix? I see it's GZ so immediate massive strike against it. But reviews seem decent? Obviously massively overpriced but if it's the Let It Be Naked of this album then I'd consider it...
Is that the KG cut? Did that start shipping yet? Waiting on mine that I ordered through uD

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Marvin Gaye What's Going On Detroit Mix? I see it's GZ so immediate massive strike against it. But reviews seem decent? Obviously massively overpriced but if it's the Let It Be Naked of this album then I'd consider it...

is that different to the 'stripped' mixes on the KG 5oth anniversary release?

edit - the Detroit mix does look different, but I can only see a (very expensive) Japan release, is that GZ? Confusing to have 2 different 50th anniversary releases

Last edited:
Is that the KG cut? Did that start shipping yet? Waiting on mine that I ordered through uD
its not the KG cut. that one has been delayed.

@Andy i don't think the detroit mix is available on the vinyl release, but it's on the streaming 50th release I think?

its not the KG cut. that one has been delayed.

@Andy i don't think the detroit mix is available on the vinyl release, but it's on the streaming 50th release I think?

Yeah. looks like it's on the streaming release but also a Japanese Vinyl version looks like was recently repressed (at GZ bizarrely)

Yeah. looks like it's on the streaming release but also a Japanese Vinyl version looks like was recently repressed (at GZ bizarrely)

Yes, it's been pressed twice. Both listed as Japan but both pressed at GZ. I think I'll likely avoid but just curious if any had heard it.

yea just came back to repost the repress.

HMV japan has it for around $30US + shipping

Amazon.ca has it listed for $100 right now, but I have seen it as low as $80. If it goes back down to the price might be worth taking a chance on. Easier to send back to Amazon than HMV Japan
Amazon product ASIN B07ND64F6Z
pretty substantial price difference though! depending on what the shipping charge is.

for what it's worth, my buddy who is a big marvin gaye fan says he's not sure what the big deal is over the detroit mix haha. he had the abbey road half speed pressing of it and sold it. said it sounded awful. i know thats a different pressing to this one, but for the price might be worth just streaming it.

pretty substantial price difference though! depending on what the shipping charge is.

for what it's worth, my buddy who is a big marvin gaye fan says he's not sure what the big deal is over the detroit mix haha. he had the abbey road half speed pressing of it and sold it. said it sounded awful. i know thats a different pressing to this one, but for the price might be worth just streaming it.
Definitely, but @Mather can think of it as insurance because if there is going to be a messed up GZ copy, he is going to get it.

Back