Definitive Audiophile pressings

I know, but the likelihood that they sell 20K of these before March 30 (shipping date) is pretty low. Seems weird to have its own disclosure right on the listing that says this item specifically doesn't qualify.
They will likely sell in batches like they did for KoB. And people are often dumb and need things spelled out for them haha

Not out yet but soon. The person who made the listing works for music direct. You can call MD and order it.

Personally, I grabbed the 50th anniversary pressing for $20 and it’s excellent. I believe it’s AAA cut by CB. For the $50 price difference, I’m more than happy with the 50th. Cancelled my preorder for the supervinyl
Thank you!

I'm sure it will sound absolutely fantastic. But at this point I start to think, is the difference between what my $20 AAA reissue and this really justify $100+? I lean no.
Yeah no thanks to this one. I've got the QRP AAA as well and the difference ain't gunna be worth it for me. Electric Ladyland is far better recorded and it's likely still going to kill anything they can do with this one in terms of fidelity. And you can also get that one for $20.

Last edited:
Yeah no thanks to this one. I've got the QRP AAA as well and the difference aunt gunna be worth it. Electric Ladyland is far better recorded and it's likely still going to kill anything they can do with this one in terms of fidelity. And you can also get that one for $20.
You need one of those $20k cartridges to hear the difference
You both are making great points. Now deciding if I should cancel my order. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You both are making great points. Now deciding if I should cancel my order. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm all about convincing myself to spend too much money on rekkids.

But, I can also tell you that my Hendrix Family pressings are some of the best sounding rekkids that I own, like top handful of the best sounding records I own. And I don't know that I paid as much as $20 for any of them. That's what made me take pause on this particular release.

Not related to a specific release, but just something I got a kick out of while getting my Hoffman forum laughs in today. 47 pages into arguing about the best sounding release of Aja, an album that has long been in the conversation of one of the best engineered albums of its era, the Almighty chimes in:

View attachment 133411

Now I know there are several here that will agree with him (and shame of you, really, for not respecting the Dan) but I always get a good kick out of the pretentious attitude/circle jerk over there. Hoffman did a CD version of Aja in the '84, sounds like he got bugged by so many people debating the Cisco/AB vinyl and not mentioning his.
Well, if the original recording doesn't sound that great, at least that should deter Steve from stealing the master tapes for this one 😂

Well, if the original recording doesn't sound that great, at least that should deter Steve from stealing the master tapes for this one 😂
Well if he were to find the tapes of "Black Cow" and "Aja," Steve would be paid $600 by Fagen; they were lost and he offered $600 for anyone who found them in 1999 in the liner notes of the reissue CD:

"When we recently sent for the multitrack masters of Aja so as to make new surround-sound mixes of same, we discovered that the two-inch multitracks of the songs Aja and Black Cow were nowhere to be found. They had somehow become separated from the other boxes, which the producer had abandoned here and there (studios, storage lockers, etc.) almost twenty years before. Anyone having information about the whereabouts of these missing two inch tapes should contact HK Management at (415) 485-1444. There will be a $600 reward for anyone who successfully leads us to the tapes. This is not a joke. Happy hunting."

Well if he were to find the tapes of "Black Cow" and "Aja," Steve would be paid $600 by Fagen; they were lost and he offered $600 for anyone who found them in 1999 in the liner notes of the reissue CD:

"When we recently sent for the multitrack masters of Aja so as to make new surround-sound mixes of same, we discovered that the two-inch multitracks of the songs Aja and Black Cow were nowhere to be found. They had somehow become separated from the other boxes, which the producer had abandoned here and there (studios, storage lockers, etc.) almost twenty years before. Anyone having information about the whereabouts of these missing two inch tapes should contact HK Management at (415) 485-1444. There will be a $600 reward for anyone who successfully leads us to the tapes. This is not a joke. Happy hunting."
I think that's quite reasonable. I mean that $600 would almost pay for the inevitable $700 2LP 45 One Step that would result from the recovery of said tapes.

I think that's quite reasonable. I mean that $600 would almost pay for the inevitable $700 2LP 45 One Step that would result from the recovery of said tapes.
I would pay $700 for a 2xLP 45 One Step of strictly the overdub tracks of Michael McDonald singing the backup in "Peg."

(and for both the Dan-stans and the haters, one of the funniest videos on the interwebs):

Last edited:

Ha! That's pretty interesting, including the random $600 reward total. I don't think they found any Steely Dan tapes when the FBI raided Steve's house, so he's probably in the clear this time around.

"$600 in 1999 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1,021.79 today, an increase of $421.79 over 23 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 2.34% per year between 1999 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 70.30%"

Back