Definitive Audiophile pressings

i figure with these releases, if i buy it and later decide i don't listen to it much, i can easily sell them for at LEAST what i paid for it.
I often think the same way with these releases, especially when I'm on the fence. Although I always hold my breath selling such expensive pressings like this online because some buyers can be so fussy. More recently I've leaned towards just passing on them because the hassle of selling them down the line isn't worth it anymore.

I often think the same way with these releases, especially when I'm on the fence. Although I always hold my breath selling such expensive pressings like this online because some buyers can be so fussy. More recently I've leaned towards just passing on them because the hassle of selling them down the line isn't worth it anymore.
I am just very conservative with grading and am very up front. I say VG+ even if something is really NM, etc. I've been lucky that I haven't had any issues but it's definitely stopped me from selling super high priced used records. Hear too many horror stories.

Yeah, I am not in the market for these super high end releases but I am so lazy the prospect of selling them would give me hives, heck just the effort to get them out of the box to play regularly would be a bridge too far in many instances.

Yeah, I am not in the market for these super high end releases but I am so lazy the prospect of selling them would give me hives, heck just the effort to get them out of the box to play regularly would be a bridge too far in many instances.
i hate the one step boxes. i ended up just taking the albums + sleeves out of the box and put them on my shelves next to my other albums. with a lot of box sets i find i don't end up listening to them as much if they are inside boxes.

Noticed the Sketches of Spain One Step is now saying it's $99 on the MoFi site which makes me think its a 33 now? It's all a bit confusing. Could have sworn it was a 45 since that's what my preorder had in the backorder email...

i hate the one step boxes. i ended up just taking the albums + sleeves out of the box and put them on my shelves next to my other albums. with a lot of box sets i find i don't end up listening to them as much if they are inside boxes.
Yeah, I have done the same for most at least the ones that have their own jackets independent of the box. I listened to them way more since making the switch.

You both are making great points. Now deciding if I should cancel my order. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Well this is the Definitive Audiophile Pressings forum so this should be the one place where searching for the best sounding pressings (often times subjective and not always the most expensive) has you in safe company.

It is frustrating. For example, when the only in print Led Zep vinyl we have r marginal digital remasters they have to tie up the best vinyl press(s) around for great titles BUT ones with numerous other audiophile vinyl options.

However, this may or may not be a small improvement over what’s available. Not really much chance of a giant leap. So it should be a lot of fun to compare. Searching for marginal $ value but the best sound with these reissues. And, if it is a top sounding reissue it will be a vinyl u can grow/tweak ur stereo system with over time as u replace components.

But, when putting music first these fancy pressings are often not in anyway needed to get the most enjoyment for listening to Hendrix on wax.

do your thing. i'm tempted by the UHQR but the shipping not included stopped me....for now.

i figure with these releases, if i buy it and later decide i don't listen to it much, i can easily sell them for at LEAST what i paid for it.
Ask yourself, when you have an itch to hear some Hendrix, do you immediately go for Are You Experienced?

For me, I first reach for Blues, then Electric Ladyland, then Axis, then Band of Gypsies, then Are You Experienced. So, no UHQR for me this time. As everyone else has stated, the AAA version circulating for $15 to $20 is on point.

Noticed the Sketches of Spain One Step is now saying it's $99 on the MoFi site which makes me think its a 33 now? It's all a bit confusing. Could have sworn it was a 45 since that's what my preorder had in the backorder email...
It's the only one that says it's 1 LP but doesn't talk about the speed. The rest all say 2 LP. I Robot says 33 rpm on the 1LP but that's due to there being a 45 and 33 version. So yeah, 33 rpm.

while everyone is talking about the UHQR, Neil Young quietly announced 3 more pressings in the official bootleg series. $25 each.

Well this is the Definitive Audiophile Pressings forum so this should be the one place where searching for the best sounding pressings (often times subjective and not always the most expensive) has you in safe company.

It is frustrating. For example, when the only in print Led Zep vinyl we have r marginal digital remasters they have to tie up the best vinyl press(s) around for great titles BUT ones with numerous other audiophile vinyl options.

However, this may or may not be a small improvement over what’s available. Not really much chance of a giant leap. So it should be a lot of fun to compare. Searching for marginal $ value but the best sound with these reissues. And, if it is a top sounding reissue it will be a vinyl u can grow/tweak ur stereo system with over time as u replace components.

But, when putting music first these fancy pressings are often not in anyway needed to get the most enjoyment for listening to Hendrix on wax.
Yeah I mean *I* don't need this but please don't let me stop anyone from being happy about grabbing it. I'm sure it'll sound awesome. I know @marshall snagged one this morning and I look forward to hearing how it sounds vs the current family press. I think Marshall is trying to corner the market on the UHQRs.

Yeah I mean *I* don't need this but please don't let me stop anyone from being happy about grabbing it. I'm sure it'll sound awesome. I know @marshall snagged one this morning and I look forward to hearing how it sounds vs the current family press. I think Marshall is trying to corner the market on the UHQRs.
Fremer got his grubby hands on a copy and is raving about it. not entirely shocked considering his relationship with Chad, but FWIW, he said its the best it has ever sounded and compared them to the EH copies.

Oh I don't doubt it, *I* just don't need to drop another $125+ on it vs my current copy.
Also I don't trust Fremers objectively with these releases any longer. Sure it sounds better than the AAA $20 pressing. I mean it had better. But does it sound $125 better? Can't help but notice he totally avoids that part of the equation. Because he's shown quite clearly over the past year that he doesn't even consider price when looking at the value of these expensive reissues vs older pressings.

Also I don't trust Fremers objectively with these releases any longer. Sure it sounds better than the AAA $20 pressing. I mean it had better. But does it sound $125 better? Can't help but notice he totally avoids that part of the equation. Because he's shown quite clearly over the past year that he doesn't even consider price when looking at the value of these expensive reissues vs older pressings.
that's because he gets them for free haha. he's probably like Lucille Bluth at this point when it comes to vinyl pricing.

Fremer got his grubby hands on a copy and is raving about it. not entirely shocked considering his relationship with Chad, but FWIW, he said its the best it has ever sounded and compared them to the EH copies.
"Best it ever sounded", choo choo here comes the HYPE TRAIN!

I'd love to see Fremer complete a blind test, listening between various versions of an album, even throw some lossless and compressed digital files in there. Bet he wouldnt land on the UHQR. Hate to be negative and the naysayer, but so much snake oil and "placebo" in the audiophile community. Im in my late 30s and my hearing is degraded. Can't imagine a guy twice my age has exceptional hearing to pinpoint minimal differences in fidelity/mastering.

Back