Definitive Audiophile pressings

"Best it ever sounded", choo choo here comes the HYPE TRAIN!

I'd love to see Fremer complete a blind test, listening between various versions of an album, even throw some lossless and compressed digital files in there. Bet he wouldnt land on the UHQR. Hate to be negative and the naysayer, but so much snake oil and "placebo" in the audiophile community. Im in my late 30s and my hearing is degraded. Can't imagine a guy twice my age has exceptional hearing to pinpoint minimal differences in fidelity/mastering.
haha yea. that's why i said "for what it's worth". he loves just about everything he gets for free these days it seems. i'd probably rave about everything I got for free so I could keep getting free copies!

I am just very conservative with grading and am very up front. I say VG+ even if something is really NM, etc. I've been lucky that I haven't had any issues but it's definitely stopped me from selling super high priced used records. Hear too many horror stories.

Honestly having been involved on both sides of buying and selling I’ve got to say sellers are generally way more shady than buyers in my experience. The lure of a quick buck for flogging a below par pressing and then ghosting is pretty strong it seems…

I'd love to see Fremer complete a blind test, listening between various versions of an album, even throw some lossless and compressed digital files in there. Bet he wouldnt land on the UHQR. Hate to be negative and the naysayer, but so much snake oil and "placebo" in the audiophile community. Im in my late 30s and my hearing is degraded. Can't imagine a guy twice my age has exceptional hearing to pinpoint minimal differences in fidelity/mastering.
I don‘t necessarily disagree, but I assume he has a playback system that’s capable of resolving differences neither my ears nor my gear could manage.

It all gets pretty subjective. I mean I can listen to the exact same vinyl on my exact same system sitting in exactly the same sweet spot with the volume set the same and feel “completely” different about the sound on two different days.

I think it my be related to electrical gremlins and mood. FWIW # of beverages has no effect.

haha yea. that's why i said "for what it's worth". he loves just about everything he gets for free these days it seems. i'd probably rave about everything I got for free so I could keep getting free copies!
Fremer is the hype man of the audiophile world.

From Wiki:
"A hype man, in hip hop music and rapping, is a backup rapper and/or singer who supports the primary rappers with exclamations and interjections and who attempts to increase the audience's excitement..."

while everyone is talking about the UHQR, Neil Young quietly announced 3 more pressings in the official bootleg series. $25 each.

Mike, want to mention these on Paladin Buyers Club by any chance ?

Also I don't trust Fremers objectively with these releases any longer. Sure it sounds better than the AAA $20 pressing. I mean it had better. But does it sound $125 better? Can't help but notice he totally avoids that part of the equation. Because he's shown quite clearly over the past year that he doesn't even consider price when looking at the value of these expensive reissues vs older pressings.
You've put into words the exact thing I have been thinking lately when considering reviews from these more established reviewers.

It's the same as that 45 RPM Audiophile guy. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he only started buying vinyl a couple of years ago but now has every audiophile record you could think of, including all the MMJ's, UHQR's, etc. He must have dropped tens of thousands if not more in the space of a few years before we even get to his equipment. I'm not saying having this kind of disposable income makes his opinions less valid but when the price is no issue it must not even factor into the review for them.

Back