Definitive Audiophile pressings

A lot of times I wonder why I even bother with vinyl. Between the warps, off-center pressings, and other defects. Then there's the pressing delays and outrageous pricing, yada yada yada. Then comes along Impex and Matador, and then I'm reminded. It can sound so good! If you don't own this one and like jazz, I highly recommend this latest reissue. 🔥

View attachment 134911
Well...after that...now I had to do an order thing.

A lot of times I wonder why I even bother with vinyl. Between the warps, off-center pressings, and other defects. Then there's the pressing delays and outrageous pricing, yada yada yada. Then comes along Impex and Matador, and then I'm reminded. It can sound so good! If you don't own this one and like jazz, I highly recommend this latest reissue. 🔥

View attachment 134911
Glad you're digging it. It's really a great sounding pressing and an awesome session. I really like the matte jacket too. Impex did a nice job on this one

Glad you're digging it. It's really a great sounding pressing and an awesome session. I really like the matte jacket too. Impex did a nice job on this one
Yeah, I only have two Impex pressings in my collection (this Dorham Matador release and M. Davis's E.S.P), but I'm really impressed with the quality and sound. Wish more shops carried Impex titles [nudge, nudge @Plaid Room / Colemine ;) ]

Where’d y’all order the Kenny Dorham from? Elusive Disc? I had it pre-ordered through AS.

I had it on pre-order from JPC, now sign of it & it's now listed as awaiting re-manufacture. I suspect they are still pressing them and sent out some initial batches.

What do people think of those John Lennon MOFI's from the 2000's? I know they got slammed a lot on Hoffman but it seemed like most people doing the slamming never actually heard them and were just offended at the concept. From what I understand, they were remastered/remixed by Yoko and I guess since they're 1/2 speed, they are not fully analogue.

Anyway, I picked up an unopened copy of the MOFI Mind Games for a very good price. And you know what, to my surprise (should I have been surprised though?), it sounds really really good. I'm not overly familiar with the original pressings of this, so I have no attachment to the material. But the basslines are deep and lush, the soundstage is wide and it's overall a really nice and immersive pressing. I'm quite pleased.

F350C207-168E-4BF5-851F-2F708BC7DE95.jpeg

This Impex is stellar but I just check Cogs and it looks like it is getting out of reach at the moment. And of course Friday Night in SF by Al Di Meola. Got my Kenny Dorham Matador from Elusive a few days ago. Hope to spinthis weekend.

What do people think of those John Lennon MOFI's from the 2000's? I know they got slammed a lot on Hoffman but it seemed like most people doing the slamming never actually heard them and were just offended at the concept. From what I understand, they were remastered/remixed by Yoko and I guess since they're 1/2 speed, they are not fully analogue.

Anyway, I picked up an unopened copy of the MOFI Mind Games for a very good price. And you know what, to my surprise (should I have been surprised though?), it sounds really really good. I'm not overly familiar with the original pressings of this, so I have no attachment to the material. But the basslines are deep and lush, the soundstage is wide and it's overall a really nice and immersive pressing. I'm quite pleased.
Yoko is a serious trigger for the Hoffmanites, so you can pretty much bet her involvement was all they needed to weigh in with a negative verdict on these.

I’m not sure if it’s just slowness to update their site or because they don’t have stock on hand (batches of copies as mentioned above), but AS is kind of screwing people who want to order Matador from them by keeping it listed as a preorder when it seems like they started fulfilling orders earlier this week. Preorders don’t qualify for any type of free shipping threshold so for another $10 of product you would otherwise be able to get free shipping (usually at least $7-8 for AS).

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised especially after the cluster-f with the Prestige represses.

I’m not sure if it’s just slowness to update their site or because they don’t have stock on hand (batches of copies as mentioned above), but AS is kind of screwing people who want to order Matador from them by keeping it listed as a preorder when it seems like they started fulfilling orders earlier this week. Preorders don’t qualify for any type of free shipping threshold so for another $10 of product you would otherwise be able to get free shipping (usually at least $7-8 for AS).

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised especially after the cluster-f with the Prestige represses.
My guess is. As others have mentioned. Matador appears to be being pressed in batches. AS likely already has their first batch spoken for and is sending them out now. I think the Pre-Order listed on their site now is likely for future batches that they are waiting on. If you order now they will send you a copy once they receive their next batch of albums.

In the end the prices put me off them. I was seriously considering it. Got the Japanese OGs of Lennon’s discography from record city instead and they are predictably excellent…

My guess is. As others have mentioned. Matador appears to be being pressed in batches. AS likely already has their first batch spoken for and is sending them out now. I think the Pre-Order listed on their site now is likely for future batches that they are waiting on. If you order now they will send you a copy once they receive their next batch of albums.

I understand that, my point is the status has never changed from preorder so there's no way to qualify for free shipping. They've created their own loophole that requires you to be charged for shipping even though they may already have a batch in the warehouse.

They even have this on their Help page which implies that over $50, a preorder could qualify for free shipping:
  • Preorders
    Preordered albums are those that have been announced but are not yet available from the manufacturer. You will be charged shipping and handling for preordered items with the same provisions as apply to all regular in-stock items.
    As I mentioned, with AS it's hard to tell if this is on purpose...

I understand that, my point is the status has never changed from preorder so there's no way to qualify for free shipping. They've created their own loophole that requires you to be charged for shipping even though they may already have a batch in the warehouse.

They even have this on their Help page which implies that over $50, a preorder could qualify for free shipping:
  • Preorders
    Preordered albums are those that have been announced but are not yet available from the manufacturer. You will be charged shipping and handling for preordered items with the same provisions as apply to all regular in-stock items.
    As I mentioned, with AS it's hard to tell if this is on purpose...
Ah sorry. Now I get what you are saying. So let’s say the are getting 500 copies in 5 separate 100 batches, if they sell out each batch the album would never technically be in stock. Thusly you can only ever preorder and never qualify for free shipping. Pretty sneaky.

Back