Definitive Audiophile pressings

I don't think they're boring though and I get why people are big fans. Just overall not much of a fan despite the good song here or there. I have many terrible opinions on music for someone who likes several talentless bands.
LOL, I am sure there is plenty of room on the “I have terrible opinions…” boat. Lord knows I am right there with ya.

Great shout for the one step treatment.

I have to say the BG version that came out recently is phenomenal (I got the RTI pressed box, not sure about the Optimal one), I'm waiting patiently for the next box of remastered studio titles.

Reading this thread and thinking about it, we just need more great audiophile pressings. Or even just decent pressings. (I've bought 3 copies of a Delines album over 3 years, and still not been able to listen to it all the way through.)

Yeah I agree but then not releasing that box broke out individually and the way her whole catalogue has almost been ignored is sad. I’ve had to scrabble around second hand and go to Japanese sellers for so many great records that should be more readily available. That’s not to mention her later stuff which is just does exist at all on vinyl. A similar lacuna exists for swathes of Van Morrison too.

I have not! I actually forgot that they had done one. I ordered the anniversary edition and my copy sounded terrible so I returned it, replacement was the same, so I didn't keep it. I'll have to look for a copy of the VMP one. I saw him on the tour before White Ladder came out and it was a transcendent show. One of my top five.

Edit: oof, vmp edition is only up for over $200 on discogs. So I'll renew my desire for it to get a merely $100 audiophile press, lol.

That’s, errrr, not cheap now 😂

oh wow, I had no idea it was going for that much. sorry for the false hope!

Yeah I agree but then not releasing that box broke out individually and the way her whole catalogue has almost been ignored is sad. I’ve had to scrabble around second hand and go to Japanese sellers for so many great records that should be more readily available. That’s not to mention her later stuff which is just does exist at all on vinyl. A similar lacuna exists for swathes of Van Morrison too.
I feel like Joni's albums are at least easy to get second hand, but not usually in good shape. I've still been holding off on the box even though I have OGs of most of hers from my mom, but I'd like to upgrade a couple and agree individual releases would have been great.

I practically never see Van Morrison's stuff second hand, and I thought after he started saying dumb stuff they would appear in shops, but never happened cause cancel culture isn't real. I think unfortunately in some instances it takes an artist dying for the label to cash in.

I feel like Joni's albums are at least easy to get second hand, but not usually in good shape. I've still been holding off on the box even though I have OGs of most of hers from my mom, but I'd like to upgrade a couple and agree individual releases would have been great.

I practically never see Van Morrison's stuff second hand, and I thought after he started saying dumb stuff they would appear in shops, but never happened cause cancel culture isn't real. I think unfortunately in some instances it takes an artist dying for the label to cash in.

Yeah we just don’t have the same second culture here. Smaller country that was actually a very poor country in the 70s/80s means that there isn’t the same volume or choice in second hand pressings unless you want a billion copies of Thin Lizzy or U2 because everyone nationally was duty bound to buy a copy 😂. More often than not I’m buying used from abroad. I don’t think that you yanks have even the slightest idea how lucky you have it with second hand. Only Joni I found second hand here is a beat up copy of Seagul that I’m persevering with. The rest of my Joni that wasn’t the 4 or 5 new has to come from Japan in the end.

Yeah we just don’t have the same second culture here. Smaller country that was actually a very poor country in the 70s/80s means that there isn’t the same volume or choice in second hand pressings unless you want a billion copies of Thin Lizzy or U2 because everyone nationally was duty bound to buy a copy 😂. More often than not I’m buying used from abroad. I don’t think that you yanks have even the slightest idea how lucky you have it with second hand.
Good point! I forgot about that!

Imagine an audiophile master of any of Massive Attack. It could sound, well, massive. Add in Portishead and Tricky from that scene. What about The Smiths, they could sell tonnes of them. Jeff Buckley badly needs his stuff revisited for vinyl.
The recent pressing of Heligloland (my fav massive album) sounds pretty amazing to me. One of my fave records to spin! You hear everything

For some audiophile wish lists of later stuff that hasn't been mentioned.

I want a decent copy of Tori Amos's first couple, cause every one I try sounds like crap.
Blues Traveler's Four (hell I'd take any copy at this point)
Rusted Root's first couple.
David Gray's White Ladder
DMB Before These Crowded Streets

Pipedreams:
I'd take the entire KBCO Studio C recordings.
Zwan
The Lillywhite Sessions
VMP press of White Ladder sounds wonderful!

Imagine an audiophile master of any of Massive Attack. It could sound, well, massive. Add in Portishead and Tricky from that scene. What about The Smiths, they could sell tonnes of them. Jeff Buckley badly needs his stuff revisited for vinyl.
portishead's vinyl offerings are decent-ish (I don't have third so i don't know about that one, but dummy, s/t & pnyc are all phenomenal). smiths and massive attack would be wonderful, "grace" too (all of buckley's non-grace stuff is .... lovely to have, if you're a fan, but definitely not essential.) Aphex Twin's SAWII and early Autechre could use some audiophile presses (especially incunabula).

+1 on bjork, fiona, sigur ros. new order's stuff is immaculate, i don't know how much better you can reasonably expect them to get.

portishead's vinyl offerings are decent-ish (I don't have third so i don't know about that one, but dummy, s/t & pnyc are all phenomenal). smiths and massive attack would be wonderful, "grace" too (all of buckley's non-grace stuff is .... lovely to have, if you're a fan, but definitely not essential.) Aphex Twin's SAWII and early Autechre could use some audiophile presses (especially incunabula).

+1 on bjork, fiona, sigur ros. new order's stuff is immaculate, i don't know how much better you can reasonably expect them to get.

Honestly smiths and massive attack actually have really good affordable presses. The smiths in particular since Johnny Marr remastered the whole collection a decade ago. But I suppose the point of these audiophile editions to me isn’t to replace them or to suggest they aren’t good enough. Most of the classic cannon that is repressed to death was recorded well and has nice sounding pressings. It’s really more about taking albums and making something special, getting that every last ounce of potential out of there, showing off the best at its best. Unfortunately they often chose really average shit to show off just because of when it’s from.

Back