Definitive Audiophile pressings

It seems to be popular around here to shit all over every recent half speed release but I will say I've had pretty good luck with them, including these amazing sounding albums from Everything but the Girl:

I should check those out. I’ve gotten a few halfspeeds from miles showell that sound good but not amazing. The Velvet Underground ones aren’t bad. Roxy music are pretty good (but have no comparison for them). I think others here have spoken highly of the Everything But The Girl ones too so maybe I’ll pick one up!

i obviously have nothing against digital LPs because look i basically buy most of my albums that were mastered digitally... i more just buy them because i like the album and want to collect a copy to occasionally listen to.. 90% of the time I'm listening to a streaming version on tidal (i would use qobuz but no student discount) where it all kinda sounds the same no matter what (and i dunno if its because of MQA but that stuff is a WHOLE OTHER can of worms)

Also, what a joke. MoFi has been deceiving people for over 10 years now. Wonder how long this would have gone under the radar without the announcement of 40k Thriller One Steps and a few audiophiles scratching their heads about that number.
Someone on Reddit was going tinfoil hat conspiracy about it. They stated that they wanted to be “discovered” so they could then come back and charge even more for verified AAA releases.

Also, what a joke. MoFi has been deceiving people for over 10 years now. Wonder how long this would have gone under the radar without the announcement of 40k Thriller One Steps and a few audiophiles scratching their heads about that number.
Forever. Complete hubris. If they had stayed 3-5k at most, no one would have been wiser and they could have kept prices escalating

Someone on Reddit was going tinfoil hat conspiracy about it. They stated that they wanted to be “discovered” so they could then come back and charge even more for verified AAA releases.
It's already overpriced. Their LPs are $75 from MoFi.com with shipping/taxes. At this point I'll just buy the SACDs from Plaidroom for $29.99. I can't hear the difference between DSD256 and DSD64

I should check those out. I’ve gotten a few halfspeeds from miles showell that sound good but not amazing. The Velvet Underground ones aren’t bad. Roxy music are pretty good (but have no comparison for them). I think others here have spoken highly of the Everything But The Girl ones too so maybe I’ll pick one up!
They are one of my all time favorite bands so I'll stan for them all day long! I'd suggest checking the discogs reviews - they are all pretty much universally loved. I would start with Walking Wounded then do Temperamental if you want more dance driven / electronic or back to Amplified Heart for a bit more mellow.

Looking through the list and sources, it’s interesting to see which albums are sourced from analogue vs DSD. There’s no real pattern to which sound better than others that I can tell. The miles and Dylan titles are awesome and most, if not all, were DSD sourced from the original tapes. The Dead titles are sometimes digital and sometimes AAA. They all sound great.

Electric Warrior was cut direct from tape. ELO was DSD. Both sound amazing. Not everything in the past 10 years has been DSD from the tapes.

I get why people are annoyed by it but at the end of the day I got what I wanted with the MoFis—great sounding vinyl pressings of albums I like.

I only have Amplified Heart out of those but I do like it. I should check out the others as well, especially Walking Wounded.

Shouldn't everything be on that page now?

1f03d8efe5638e966e3c242cdee32dd2.gif
Honestly, I think MOFI should just sell the DSD file separately and allow you to play it on a DAC that accepts a DSD file format.

Honestly, I think MOFI should just sell the DSD file separately and allow you to play it on a DAC that accepts a DSD file format.

Cost. MoFi doesn’t own any of these recordings to just do as they choose, they licence them. That’s going to be a lot of licensing cost for what is even more niche in file music than it is on digital discs, where it is pretty damn niche.

Back