Definitive Audiophile pressings

Cost. MoFi doesn’t own any of these recordings to just do as they choose, they licence them. That’s going to be a lot of licensing cost for what is even more niche in file music than it is on digital discs, where it is pretty damn niche.
Plus the major labels and artists don’t want to sell downloads of DSD, especially higher than DSD64. They were fine with SACD because of the copy protections.

And the price for consumers wouldn’t be cheap. HDTracks has some DSD Downloads and they are $30+. There really isn’t a market for it. Huge file size, don’t play on most devices. I think AS sold DSD for a bit and they folded that part of their business because nobody was buying anything.

Plus the major labels and artists don’t want to sell downloads of DSD, especially higher than DSD64. They were fine with SACD because of the copy protections.

And the price for consumers wouldn’t be cheap. HDTracks has some DSD Downloads and they are $30+. There really isn’t a market for it. Huge file size, don’t play on most devices. I think AS sold DSD for a bit and they folded that part of their business because nobody was buying anything.

Yeah there’s so little out there on file and anything above 64 is pretty much classical and not big name classical.

And octave records. I always forget PS Audios new studio and label that’s gone all in on DSD. Pretty niche artists again so far though.

It's already overpriced. Their LPs are $75 from MoFi.com with shipping/taxes. At this point I'll just buy the SACDs from Plaidroom for $29.99. I can't hear the difference between DSD256 and DSD64
It would be hilarious if this flap led to the revival of the SACD format! I’d bet most vinyl fans have never listened to a SACD, except via WaxTime or DOL. 😁

Totally unrelated to shitting on MoFi for their deceptive practices, but their customer service is severely lacking. I ordered Natalie Merchant’s “Tigerlily” when it got restocked on MoFi.com and it shipped mid-July. Realized about a week ago that it never came. When I checked the tracking it was reported damaged by UPS on 7/20.

Contacted MoFi to see what was up and what could be done and haven’t heard a thing. Think I’m just about don’t ordering anything from them.

Totally unrelated to shitting on MoFi for their deceptive practices, but their customer service is severely lacking. I ordered Natalie Merchant’s “Tigerlily” when it got restocked on MoFi.com and it shipped mid-July. Realized about a week ago that it never came. When I checked the tracking it was reported damaged by UPS on 7/20.

Contacted MoFi to see what was up and what could be done and haven’t heard a thing. Think I’m just about don’t ordering anything from them.
Agree. I had some problems ordering inner sleeves from MoFi and receiving outer sleeves. A simple mistake in their fulfillment took weeks to resolve. I learned then it was best to get MoFi from third-parties that are not Music Direct.

It's already overpriced. Their LPs are $75 from MoFi.com with shipping/taxes. At this point I'll just buy the SACDs from Plaidroom for $29.99. I can't hear the difference between DSD256 and DSD64
I’m fine to buy some from MD or other places at the regular price tag if it’s a title I like. I hardly ever order from MoFi direct because they charge now for preorders and only ship fedex so shipping is expensive. If there’s any silver lining to this, maybe things won’t sell out as quickly so they will hit other shops like Plaidroom more often.

Your local hi res digital expert
Gerry-Todd-Show.jpg

Yep I’ve always had issues through MoFi with customer service (haven’t had issue with MD though). They are super slow to respond and rarely helpful. I contacted them awhile back about a one step I bought from Target having split inners to see if they could send me replacement sleeves. It was sold out at Target so getting a replacement through them was not an option. They told me they couldn’t help out since I didn’t order directly through them and told me to return it to where I bought it from and get a replacement from them…I explained that there weren’t any more copies and the record was sold out everywhere and they just said something snarky about how they can’t handle replacements for other retailers.

Compare that to someone like Sam Records who personally mailed me a replacement copy even though I didn’t buy direct from them.

Yep I’ve always had issues through MoFi with customer service (haven’t had issue with MD though). They are super slow to respond and rarely helpful. I contacted them awhile back about a one step I bought from Target having split inners to see if they could send me replacement sleeves. It was sold out at Target so getting a replacement through them was not an option. They told me they couldn’t help out since I didn’t order directly through them and told me to return it to where I bought it from and get a replacement from them…I explained that there weren’t any more copies and the record was sold out everywhere and they just said something snarky about how they can’t handle replacements for other retailers.

Compare that to someone like Sam Records who personally mailed me a replacement copy even though I didn’t buy direct from them.
Would there be anyone to desperate enough to do that job now for more than 1 day now? They must be getting yelled at constantly. They probably start sobbing uncontrollably the moment the phone rings or they see a new email pop into their inbox

What's the consensus with OJCs that were released in Japan? VIJ catalog
I think they are pretty highly regarded. Probably similar to the old US OJCs but maybe on quieter vinyl formula? Didn’t realize the VIJ were the same as OJC.

Edit: I have this one and it sounds great to me

I think they are pretty highly regarded. Probably similar to the old US OJCs but maybe on quieter vinyl formula? Didn’t realize the VIJ were the same as OJC.

Edit: I have this one and it sounds great to me

Been looking for a reasonable priced Sunday At The Village Vanguard. Save a little with RCP but not sure it's worth the delta in price.

Looking through the list and sources, it’s interesting to see which albums are sourced from analogue vs DSD. There’s no real pattern to which sound better than others that I can tell. The miles and Dylan titles are awesome and most, if not all, were DSD sourced from the original tapes. The Dead titles are sometimes digital and sometimes AAA. They all sound great.

Electric Warrior was cut direct from tape. ELO was DSD. Both sound amazing. Not everything in the past 10 years has been DSD from the tapes.

I get why people are annoyed by it but at the end of the day I got what I wanted with the MoFis—great sounding vinyl pressings of albums I like.

Mike, did you notice if there's a page with the back catalogue stuff. Like recent but out of print?

Curious about the Elvis Costellos I have (several are not on their current vinyl page). Likely DSD, but it's hard to tell.

Seems like The Cars are all AAA, but for the Pretenders the S/T is DSD while Learning To Crawl is AAA. Mostly out of curiosity because I like most of my MOFI's regardless of origin (I mean Nilsson Schmilsson and ELO are probably the best I have and both are DSD).

Elvis Costello's "Get Happy" I'm ambivalent with (but I have no vinyl to compare to) while This Year's Model is weird. Bass is more subdued than the MOV, but the MOV is less dynamic. I think I prefer the MOFI but I waffle. I also had an OG Canadian of that one but it sounded really bad compared to both. I like my MOFI copies of Trust and Imperial Bedroom though.

I didn't read the all 50 pages about MOFI so sorry if someone already asked this question. How can I be sure that my Waxtime and DOL records are actually digitally sourced and not AAA?

As grey label they don’t have access to the master tapes. They could potentially get hold of second or third generation copies of the master that may be out there but the likelihood is that they’re using commercially available digital recordings as their source.

Back