Definitive Audiophile pressings

@Joe Mac Which Tom Waits JP presses did you get? I remember you saying you enjoy them all, right. I got a copy of Small Change a few weeks back and it's really great.

Yes love them. I got the asylum ones that weren’t reissued on rhino, I picked up the CB rhino ones that are also great before I ventured there. So that left Blue Valentine, Foriegn Affairs, and Heartattack and Vine from Japan.

Last edited:
Yes love them. I got the asylum ones that weren’t reissued on rhino, I picked up the CB rhino ones that are also great before I ventured there. So that’s Blue Valentine, Foriegn Affairs, and Heartattack and Vine.

Yeah, I do have the Waits/Brennan reissues of those. They're not great but they've been holding me over. But I'm curious after hearing the JP Small Change (it was the only one I never picked up). I'll continue to keep an eye out.

Mike, did you notice if there's a page with the back catalogue stuff. Like recent but out of print?

Curious about the Elvis Costellos I have (several are not on their current vinyl page). Likely DSD, but it's hard to tell.

Seems like The Cars are all AAA, but for the Pretenders the S/T is DSD while Learning To Crawl is AAA. Mostly out of curiosity because I like most of my MOFI's regardless of origin (I mean Nilsson Schmilsson and ELO are probably the best I have and both are DSD).

Elvis Costello's "Get Happy" I'm ambivalent with (but I have no vinyl to compare to) while This Year's Model is weird. Bass is more subdued than the MOV, but the MOV is less dynamic. I think I prefer the MOFI but I waffle. I also had an OG Canadian of that one but it sounded really bad compared to both. I like my MOFI copies of Trust and Imperial Bedroom though.
Looks like Almost Blue is the only one on their site and it is analog. Pretty much all of my MoFis aren't listed on the site, so I would also be curious if they list the sources for those. Doubt it though.

Your local hi res digital expert
Gerry-Todd-Show.jpg
Isn't that just @Mather sitting in front of his switcher?

Yeah, I do have the Waits/Brennan reissues of those. They're not great but they've been holding me over. But I'm curious after hearing the JP Small Change (it was the only one I never picked up). I'll continue to keep an eye out.

Yeah I held off vinyl Waits for ages because I hate those remasters lol! They actually sound like full remixes rather than just new mastering.

When I got the rhino ones I was wondering what to do with the rest of them and the searching led me to Japanese copies as the best value and then I discovered record city and the rest had been history, very expensive history…

Yeah I held off vinyl Waits for ages because I hate those remasters lol! They actually sound like full remixes rather than just new mastering.

When I got the rhino ones I was wondering what to do with the rest of them and the searching led me to Japanese copies as the best value and then I discovered record city and the rest had been history, very expensive history…

Your story pretty much eventually leads me into Record City and then Ella and my expensive history...

Would make a good episode of this show:

1659796474479.png

Looks like Almost Blue is the only one on their site and it is analog. Pretty much all of my MoFis aren't listed on the site, so I would also be curious if they list the sources for those. Doubt it though.

I hope they do the Silver Labels too. I'd be curious to see what the sources are for those, in comparison to what they called OMR's. I have 4 Silver Labels and frankly they're all superb.

Mike, did you notice if there's a page with the back catalogue stuff. Like recent but out of print?

Curious about the Elvis Costellos I have (several are not on their current vinyl page). Likely DSD, but it's hard to tell.

Seems like The Cars are all AAA, but for the Pretenders the S/T is DSD while Learning To Crawl is AAA. Mostly out of curiosity because I like most of my MOFI's regardless of origin (I mean Nilsson Schmilsson and ELO are probably the best I have and both are DSD).

Elvis Costello's "Get Happy" I'm ambivalent with (but I have no vinyl to compare to) while This Year's Model is weird. Bass is more subdued than the MOV, but the MOV is less dynamic. I think I prefer the MOFI but I waffle. I also had an OG Canadian of that one but it sounded really bad compared to both. I like my MOFI copies of Trust and Imperial Bedroom though.
Haven’t seen back catalogue stuff. Wish they would add that too but wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.

@MikeH or anybody else really, you ever shop at Darkside records? I just ordered a cassette tape from them online and the only notes regarding condition was “used”.

Did I make a huge mistake?
Is it the shop in Poughkeepsie, NY? I think that might be someone’s local here? I bought a bunch of RSD stuff from them a year or two ago and they seemed great to me. Haven’t bought used though.

All the hyperbole on this thread the last few weeks has made it difficult to tell if people are joking or really that angry about owning really nice sounding records…

Didn’t you have the boat last? I remember a J-Jazz buy so large that it caused the crash of the Euro?

I don't want to talk about the last time I took the boat, it still hurts.

Good to know. I have B52's S/T and Wild Planet, Yaz Upstairs At Eric's and The English Beat Special Beat Service.
I think the Stevies may have been a flat transfer. The rumor was they sent someone to Stevie’s house to transfer the tapes because he won’t let the tapes out. It’s really a shame he won’t let someone do AAA reissues. I think I had read there was an issue with someone getting the tapes and splicing them and he never let them out again. Could just be a rumor though. I’d love to see an AAA campaign of his albums.

Been looking for a reasonable priced Sunday At The Village Vanguard. Save a little with RCP but not sure it's worth the delta in price.
If you can find a good price on this, I love this two-fer:

It's Waltz for Debby + Sunday at the Village Vanguard. AAA and sounds awesome. Tracklist order, I believe, is in the performance order instead of matching the two album tracklists.

Back