Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I recently went with a good quality UPS over a simple surge protector.

The brownouts we experience are too dangerous on the tube system components. Plus if I lose power completely, I want to power down the system in a specific order and finish the side of that record first 😉

I was just about to investigate the surge resistance of a home UPS before this message! Still working on it…

I recently went with a good quality UPS over a simple surge protector.

The brownouts we experience are too dangerous on the tube system components. Plus if I lose power completely, I want to power down the system in a specific order and finish the side of that record first 😉

This is what Eaton says, but they sell both surge protectors and UPS systems:

“A UPS delivers second-level protection against surges; it should never be considered a primary surge protection device.”

Can't seem to get a straight answer because audiophiles are idiots who argue about specs for 50 pages, so asking here:

Is there any real world/practical disadvantage to using a surge protector with a high current amp, and if so, is there a better surge protector designed for use with high current amps?

Based on what I've gathered, I think the answer is "not really an issue" but just trying to make sure I'm not limiting my amp in any way. Don't wanna plug it into the wall directly.
Here's my quick and dirty inputs, and I'll start with answering your question directly.

A normal surge protector will work. It will offer slightly more protection than plugging straight into the wall. Sharing the surge protector with other devices has potential to introduce electrical noise.

Now we'll get into the nitty gritty.
- Will a surge protector sound better/worse than going straight into the wall?
That's house, system. time of day dependent. In theory, it could introduce additional noise, and might not provide as strong or consistent of current.

- Will you loose protection going straight into the wall?
I would assume so. But I've also heard that a big beefy toroid is actually going to offer more protection than a standard surge protector on it's own. I'm not electrician so I have no idea.

- Whole home surge protection vs standard surge protector?
If you own your home, you should get whole home surge protection. It's relatively in expensive and a no brainer.

- Is an audiophile power solution a better choice?
This is getting into the weeds, but my general answer is yes. Is it worth the money... big question. Goes back to my first answer. It depends on how clean the energy coming into your house is. I've heard some systems where I think "it can't hurt" and others where I've felt it made a pretty significant difference. But there are a LOT of variables at play.

I appreciate the attention this topic has provided. My utility has a promotion on installation of whole house protection of which I will take advantage.

Additionally, I found that the surge protection on my office audio system was not up to par given multiple upgrades to that system. A new Isobar Ultra will go in there prior to the whole house protection.

I’m looking to upgrade my vintage Sansui 661 receiver. I have a project debut iii table upgraded with an ortofon OM20 stylus, speedbox, acrylic platter, and clamp, and my speakers are Energy Connoisseur CF-50.

I like the overall sound of my system, but the sansui has a consistent hum, fluctuates in power (and therefore in pitch) and tends to cut out on one side infrequently.

I used to peruse these parts a few years ago but I haven’t been around since then. Is the NAD 316BEE still the N&G favorite in its price range? I primarily listen to vinyl so a good phone stage is important, and I also need hookups for a nakamichi cassette deck and a digital system (I’m currently hooking up to my MacBook or phone but am looking to eventually have a streamer and NAS drive).

I’m looking to upgrade my vintage Sansui 661 receiver. I have a project debut iii table upgraded with an ortofon OM20 stylus, speedbox, acrylic platter, and clamp, and my speakers are Energy Connoisseur CF-50.

I like the overall sound of my system, but the sansui has a consistent hum, fluctuates in power (and therefore in pitch) and tends to cut out on one side infrequently.

I used to peruse these parts a few years ago but I haven’t been around since then. Is the NAD 316BEE still the N&G favorite in its price range? I primarily listen to vinyl so a good phone stage is important, and I also need hookups for a nakamichi cassette deck and a digital system (I’m currently hooking up to my MacBook or phone but am looking to eventually have a streamer and NAS drive).
The NAD 316BEE is still a favorite. The C328, for a bit more, gets you a built-in DAC and Bluetooth.

Edit: if you need a tape loop, the Marantz PM6007 might be your best "low cost" bet.

Unfortunately, I can't vouch for the quality of the phono stage for either the PM6007 or 316BEE. They may be fine - I just don't know.

My gut tells me that you'd likely do better with a Schiit Mani 2 or a Classic Audio Spartan 5.

What’s your amp budget? And are you willing to consider a stand alone phono pre or do you want an all in one solution?

What’s your amp budget? And are you willing to consider a stand alone phono pre or do you want an all in one solution?
If you seek an all-in-one, it may be worth it to stretch to the C328. This review suggests that the included phono is actually quite good.

Edit: An open box deal might help.

If you seek an all-in-one, it may be worth it to stretch to the C328. This review suggests that the included phono is actually quite good.

Edit: An open box deal might help.

Thanks for the suggestion - the c328 looks nice! I’m in Canada so I don’t know what shipping and duties would be for the open box. Up here there’s a difference of $300 CAD between the c316 and c328 brand new.

Thanks for the suggestion - the c328 looks nice! I’m in Canada so I don’t know what shipping and duties would be for the open box. Up here there’s a difference of $300 CAD between the c316 and c328 brand new.
This is Lenbrook’s official refurb site and items ship from Canada, so maybe with looking here too:

Whereabouts are you in Canada? A couple of great stores for used/open box gear in Ontario are Audio Connexxion and Audio Eden.. Might be worth checking out what they have currently...

I don’t recommend that you bust your budget but I do suggest exploring your options. It may be worth seeking out a deal to move up; a separate DAC and phono for the C316BEE might run as much or more than the cost difference.

FWIW, I did find a Reddit posting for one user who compared the phono in the C316BEE to the C328 and found former lacking.

Back