Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Audio-Technica is replacing the venerable LP60 starter table with the LP70, which looks like a legitimately compelling option in the entry-level arena. The upgrade to a captive AT-VM95C alone is a big deal.

Audio-Technica is replacing the venerable LP60 starter table with the LP70, which looks like a legitimately compelling option in the entry-level arena. The upgrade to a captive AT-VM95C alone is a big deal.

Ummmm https://electronics.sony.com/audio/audio-components/turntables/p/pslx310bt

Need a relatively cheap Bluetooth speaker - what brands are the best out there?
Today, the NYT Wirecutter republished their recommendations for portable Bluetooth speakers:

“Our Pick” - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 4 - $80
“Runner Up” - Soundcore Motion 100 - $40
“Upgrade Pick” - W-King X10 - $93
“Budget Pick” - Tribit XSound Go - under $40
“Also Great” - JBL Go 4 - $50

I picked up two of the Tribits, one for me and my spouse. I like it a lot and have been surprised at how good it sounds for its size and price.

Today, the NYT Wirecutter republished their recommendations for portable Bluetooth speakers:

“Our Pick” - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 4 - $80
“Runner Up” - Soundcore Motion 100 - $40
“Upgrade Pick” - W-King X10 - $93
“Budget Pick” - Tribit XSound Go - under $40
“Also Great” - JBL Go 4 - $50

I picked up two of the Tribits, one for me and my spouse. I like it a lot and have been surprised at how good it sounds for its size and price.
It’s kinda awesome how far small Bluetooth speakers have come. I have had my UE boom for probably 8 years now and it’s still going strong, but lots of other good brands out there now for cheap.

It’s kinda awesome how far small Bluetooth speakers have come. I have had my UE boom for probably 8 years now and it’s still going strong, but lots of other good brands out there now for cheap.
I know it's not the same, but I got a new Echo on prime day for $40 and it came with 6 months of Amazon music for free. I'm super impressed with the speaker quality of this new one (I still had a first gen). They're definitely losing money on it selling them at the same price as a plain Bluetooth speaker. But bottom line is these little speakers are really solid for their price range.

I know it's not the same, but I got a new Echo on prime day for $40 and it came with 6 months of Amazon music for free. I'm super impressed with the speaker quality of this new one (I still had a first gen). They're definitely losing money on it selling them at the same price as a plain Bluetooth speaker. But bottom line is these little speakers are really solid for their price range.
Yes we have a google home for our kitchen and it’s quite good sounding. Really helpful for setting timers and changing the music hands free while cooking.

Yes. I have one, the non-R version. Well, mines been rebuilt by VAS with a new cantilever and a micro ridge stylus now. The stock Zu isn’t the last word in detail, but when it’s paired with a good SUT on a med/high mass arm it’s got great tone and body. The spherical stylus is pretty easy to set up and it has solid bass. It brings classic rock albums to life.

I really recommend using it with a transformer and a tubed phono as opposed to just an active solid state MC stage as the bass, texture and body all benefit and make it a much more compelling listen. If you don’t want to go that route and still want a similar but more modern sound, check out the Hana EL.

Unrelated except for Zu. A friend recently auditioned at his house Zu Dirty Weekend, Buchardt S400 mk2, and Mofi Sourcepoint 8 to go w his new Naim integrated (can’t remember Naim model but cost like $3k-ish).

He ended up w the Sourcepoint 8 for its all-around merits (everything sounded good, if not great). But the Zu’s were incredibly confounding. One track, particularly w vocals, could sound amazing — like totally engaging and alive. Another (more often more than one other) could sound terrible. It was very odd, but I also think that’s a not uncommon experience w/ those.

Unrelated except for Zu. A friend recently auditioned at his house Zu Dirty Weekend, Buchardt S400 mk2, and Mofi Sourcepoint 8 to go w his new Naim integrated (can’t remember Naim model but cost like $3k-ish).

He ended up w the Sourcepoint 8 for its all-around merits (everything sounded good, if not great). But the Zu’s were incredibly confounding. One track, particularly w vocals, could sound amazing — like totally engaging and alive. Another (more often more than one other) could sound terrible. It was very odd, but I also think that’s a not uncommon experience w/ those.
That’s very much how I remembered feeling about the Zus. They look so great, though.

Man, one of my locals gets some real fun stuff in as trades. I love my speakers but damn, it's addictive to look through their stuff.. These all came in this week...
TRADEIN-ALM19__41968.jpg
Altec Lansing Model 19 Series
TRADEIN-HSY13__73968.jpg
hORNS Symphony 13 Series
TRADEIN-CP15NB__53255.jpg
Coherent Platinum Model 15 Neo BE
MISCEL-67500-372__74615.jpg
Coherent Audio Model 18

Last edited:
My dad says when he was buying his first pair of speakers in high school it was between those Altecs and the Klipsch La Scalas. He couldn’t find a place to audition the Altecs, and thus was eventually born my lifelong brand loyalty.
Yeah I've read the Lansing's were comparable. I'm sure you'd need to fully rebuild them at this point to even come close to current La Scalas but man they look cool.

Also buying La Scalas in high school... yeah prices sure are comparable now huh?

Back