Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Think I'm gonna go with the Sony WH blah bah 4 (the last model). I've had them before and was unimpressed but they're $175 vs Bose's cheapest at $250 and for my use case (a couple times a month) I'm chill with it.

Looking for some speaker recs!

I’m looking to finally buy some decent speakers after having some old budget Polk Audio R30 speakers that my dad gave me. I’m currently running the Yamaha A-S801. Room is ~25’x13’ with 8’ ceilings (popcorn ceiling! :LOL:). I listen to music nearly all day while I work from home, mostly vinyl. I should mention that my “office” is attached to the living room off-axis. I’m probably going to upgrade my TT soon and seriously looking at the Technics 100C but currently have an ATLP120 preamp removed with an AT-VM540ML cart. Just got the Darlington Labs MM5A that is awesome. I also stream music through a Sonos Port and have a CD player hooked up too. Music preferences are all across the board. I need something that is decent for all genres preferably.

I’d like to keep the speakers floor standers , less of a hassle with kiddos and dog running around. Budget is about $1500 but could possibly stretch that a touch. I’m fine with B stock and open box items too. I’d like a musical speaker where it won’t be fatiguing to listen to all day but also something that is exciting to listen to if I want to critically listen and get that impact.

I don’t really have much access (or time) to hifi stores where I can demo anything in particular. I’ve been looking at the Wharfedale Evo 4.3 or 4.4 and they seem to fit the bill. Anyone heard or have them in their system? I know the Lintons are a favorite but surprisingly my wife does not care for the looks of them and also requested sticking with floorstanders. Should also note that these will be sticking closer to the wall out of necessity.

Thanks!

I have not purchased or reviewed any ~$1500 speakers in a while, besides the Lintons. Here are two floorstanders around that price range recommended by The Absolute Sound:
- DALI Oberon 5 - $1300
- Monitor Audio Bronze 500 - $1650

Stereophile recommends:
- Q Acoustics 5040 - $1499

Of those, my past experience says that the Monitor Audio Bronze is likely to provide high value and would be easily compatible with the Yamaha. They would be my first audition. All three can be mail-ordered from Crutchfield in the US; you can see pictures and specs there.

(Edit: The Dali Oberon 5 was also a What Hi-Fi? annual award winner in 2020, so it's received multiple positive review awards. The Bronze 500 also got a recommendation from HiFi Choice.)

Last edited:

I’m looking to finally buy some decent speakers after having some old budget Polk Audio R30 speakers that my dad gave me. I’m currently running the Yamaha A-S801. Room is ~25’x13’ with 8’ ceilings (popcorn ceiling! :LOL:). I listen to music nearly all day while I work from home, mostly vinyl. I should mention that my “office” is attached to the living room off-axis. I’m probably going to upgrade my TT soon and seriously looking at the Technics 100C but currently have an ATLP120 preamp removed with an AT-VM540ML cart. Just got the Darlington Labs MM5A that is awesome. I also stream music through a Sonos Port and have a CD player hooked up too. Music preferences are all across the board. I need something that is decent for all genres preferably.

I’d like to keep the speakers floor standers , less of a hassle with kiddos and dog running around. Budget is about $1500 but could possibly stretch that a touch. I’m fine with B stock and open box items too. I’d like a musical speaker where it won’t be fatiguing to listen to all day but also something that is exciting to listen to if I want to critically listen and get that impact.

I don’t really have much access (or time) to hifi stores where I can demo anything in particular. I’ve been looking at the Wharfedale Evo 4.3 or 4.4 and they seem to fit the bill. Anyone heard or have them in their system? I know the Lintons are a favorite but surprisingly my wife does not care for the looks of them and also requested sticking with floorstanders. Should also note that these will be sticking closer to the wall out of necessity.

Thanks!
Safe and Sound are still closing out the L82 Classics for $1500 and ListenUp have the stands for $275.

Can't speak to floorstanders per se, but I recently made this move and it's been a pleasant move.

Thanks!
Post in thread 'JBL L100 Classic Speakers' https://www.needlesandgrooves.com/threads/jbl-l100-classic-speakers.2558/post-866994

Monitor Audio Bronze
While technically bookshelf speakers, I'd still consider looking into the Linton's. On their stands they're plenty heavy, aren't going to topple over easily and is a fantastic speaker, easy to listen to. Like others have mentioned, look for open box deals, this comes along for Linton's so you could score a pair with stand well within your budget, that said, your budget is pretty close to a new pair with stands.

While technically bookshelf speakers, I'd still consider looking into the Linton's. On their stands they're plenty heavy, aren't going to topple over easily and is a fantastic speaker, easy to listen to. Like others have mentioned, look for open box deals, this comes along for Linton's so you could score a pair with stand well within your budget, that said, your budget is pretty close to a new pair with stands.

You missed the most important part…
I know the Lintons are a favorite but surprisingly my wife does not care for the looks of them

You missed the most important part…
Haha! Like I said, I’m really surprised she didn’t like the look since they have that vintage cool look that she generally likes! I still want a pair at some point though. If I ever build a second system in my basement, those would be high on the list.

They’re also rear ported which could prove challenging with placement in my room. The speakers need to be pretty close to the wall, unfortunately.

I would also consider used options; you can get some really choice hardware in that price range.
Great deal, rear ports.

Last edited:
The Music Room is worth checking out for great used gear.
@mitchwagz — recommend calling TMR if you see something you like , new or used. Great shop that, if you schmooz them a little and maybe give them a chance to talk you up to a pricier tier (so start talking about something below what you want), there is a good chance they will work something out with you, at least for new stuff. They may have less flexibility on used but I wouldn’t hesitate to try.

Good people.

Last edited:
Haha! Like I said, I’m really surprised she didn’t like the look since they have that vintage cool look that she generally likes! I still want a pair at some point though. If I ever build a second system in my basement, those would be high on the list.

They’re also rear ported which could prove challenging with placement in my room. The speakers need to be pretty close to the wall, unfortunately.
DOAH!!! And I freakin' went back and read it again because I thought it was odd nobody mentioned them, lol.

Chemo is messing me up.

Back