Fresh Grabs

Its been a great few weeks!

Sonny Okosuns "Ozziddi" - Ozziddi For Sale (Capitol Records, 1976 First Nigerian Pressing)
Fela Anikulapo Kuti And Egypt 80 Band - Perambulator (Lagos International Records, 1983 First Nigerian Pressing)
Miles Davis All Stars - Walkin' (Prestige, 1959 Pressing)
corto.alto - Bad With Names (New Soil, 2023 First Signed Pressing)
Nana Benz Du Togo - Ago (Komos, 2023 First Signed Pressing)
Plus a load of books and magazines!

Last week I spent 5 days in glorious Dorset at Gilles Peterson's "We Out Here" festival. I saw some killer acts but also managed to spare some time to head over to the Near Mint record fair where I picked up the Miles Davis, Fela Kuti, and Sonny Okosuns. I also picked up some killer magazines including the lastest edition of We Jazz Magazine, a free J-jazz booklet, the first edition of the We Out Here annual, and a killer book on the best jazz club albums (written in Japanese but with photos of the album covers). I also headed over to the book tent and picked up a signed copy of Andre Marmot's look on the British jazz scene, and a book on Afrobeats. After seeing Nana Benz and corto alto perform, I bought an album from each of them, which they kindly signed. I lucked out here as they only had a handful of copies each! Phew!!

IMG_4249.JPG
IMG_4254.JPG

Collin Bates Trio - Brew (Fontana, 1968 First Pressing)
The Mike Taylor Trio - Trio (Columbia, 1967 First Mono Pressing)
Harry Beckett - Harry Beckett's Warm Smiles (RCA Victor, 1971 First Test Pressing)

Incredibly these are all albums that I already have but managed to get incredibly good deals for them. I have a stereo and now mono pressings of the Mike Taylor so I need to decide which one to keep and which one to trade. The Beckett is an incredibly rare white label test pressing which is super cool!

IMG_4252.JPG

Soho Scene '67 - Jazz Goes Mod (Rhythm & Blues Records, 2021 First Pressing)
Assagai - Zimbabwe (Philips, 1971 First Pressing)
The Ronnie Scott Sextet - Presenting The Ronnie Scott Sextet (Philips/Wing Records, 1969 Pressing)

Another great carboot trip. The Soho Jazz Scene has a few volumes now but weirdly they're showing up on discogs as banned from sale, so not sure about their legitimacy, but it seems like a decent compilation. The Assagai has a killer line-up including Dudu Pukwana, Louis Moholo and Mongezi Feza. Finally, a cheapo reissue of a Ronnie Scott release.

IMG_4253.JPG

Original Joe Harriott & John Mayall Poster - Kings Hall London, 1968
Original Cannonball Adderley Poster - Paris, France, 1969

In a strange coincidence, I had these 2 poster arrive just before @Biscuit raised a question over on the Concert/Gig Posters! It's Back! thread! Killer scores, the Indo Jazz Fusions one is amazing!

IMG_4256.JPG
IMG_4257.JPG

Ok so 2 posts in the same number of days is insane, but with it being a bank holiday here in the UK I was able to double-dip into carboots this weekend. All these records were the result of 2 carboot sales and typically cost £1-£3 each.

New Kingdom - Heavy Load (Gee Street, 1993 First Pressing)
Santana - Abraxas (CBS, 1970 First UK Pressing)
The Dukes Of Stratosphear - 25 O'Clock (Virgin, 1985 First Pressing)
The Beatles - With The Beatles (Parlophone, 1963 First Pressing)

A mixed bag of hip hop, garage/psych rock, rock and pop. The real gem here is the New Kingdom, a rare British hip-hop album that was only released once on vinyl. Really deep beats, I can imagine this to be a sampler dream find. I became a bit of a cliche when I bought The Beatles album despite not really being into their music, plus I already have 2 other pressings of this (from other carboot sales).

IMG_4338.JPG

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Oh-By The Way (Timeless Records, 1984 First Pressing)
Horst Wende And His Orchestra - Africana (Polydor, 1960 First South African Pressing)
Art Pepper – Discoveries (Savoy Records, 1977 First German Pressing)
Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers Featuring Wynton Marsalis - Live At Bubba's (Kingdom Jazz, 1981 First UK Pressing)
Stan Getz / João Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim - Getz / Gilberto (Verve, 1964 First UK Pressing)
Les McCann Ltd. - The Truth (Pacific Jazz, 1960 First Pressing)
Harry Beckett - Pictures Of You (Paladin Records, 1985 First Pressing)
Charlie Rouse With The Stan Tracey Quartet - Playin' In The Yard (Steam, 1987 First Pressing)

A mix of jazz here. The most exciting bits are the British jazz albums that I have been meaning to get but didn't want to pay as much again for postage (these are cheap titles), such as the Harry Beckett and Stan Tracey. The artwork alone on the "Africana" was enough to convince me to get this. Really great mix.

IMG_4337.JPG

Coleman Hawkins - Accent On Tenor (A-C-R Records, 1965 First 7" Pressing)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take The "A" Train (Philips, 1962 First 7" Pressing)
Stan Getz - Blue Rhythm Jam (Bravo! Records, 1965 First 7" Pressing)
Gerry Mulligan Quartet - The Gerry Mulligan Quartet In Boston (Vogue Productions, 1956 First 7" Pressing)
Delamo – Love Me Baby (Wanderer Records, First Trinidad & Tobago Pressing)

Some cheap 7" jazz records to round the set off, with a reggae oddity that caught my attention as well!

IMG_4335.JPG

1000012282.jpg
Nice little stack waiting for me after returning from vacation. Finally getting around to them after a very long week back.

Homer - Grown in U.S.A.
Another great Guerssen reissue with a special color way for NC's Noble Records.

Underground Fire - Self-titled.
Extremely obscure garage rock from Monroe, NC that I had tried tracking down for a few years. Closest I came was being outbid on eBay. Glad to see it receive some attention and its first reissue.

Joe Henderson - Power to the People - shouts to @JTJamFan for the great PiF. Happy to add this to the collection and dive deeper into Jazz Dispensary's releases.

ZZ Top - From the Top 1971-1976
The FOMO got me and I'm glad to have this one. Grabbed it from Warner Music Canada after the US site sold out. Quality looks great, and will give it a spin over the long weekend.

Yall peer pressured me into buying this
Turns out: the people were right, this thing sounds killer.

Did someone have more info about the mastering/cutting rig this thing was going through? I remember lots of hype way back yonder.

A mixed bag of hip hop, garage/psych rock, rock and pop. The real gem here is the New Kingdom, a rare British hip-hop album that was only released once on vinyl. Really deep beats, I can imagine this to be a sampler dream find. I became a bit of a cliche when I bought The Beatles album despite not really being into their music, plus I already have 2 other pressings of this (from other carboot sales).

View attachment 212132
That Heavy Load is a good album from what I remember. I only ever had the CD but I did see New Kingdom live at Sheffield University supporting a band called Senser back in 1994. Good times.

Bill Le Sage directing Directions In Jazz Unit – Road To Ellingtonia (Philips, 1065 First Pressing)
Wilton "Bogey" Gaynair – Blue Bogey (Tempo Records, 1983 Jasmine Pressing)
Santana – Moonflower (CBS, 1977 First Pressing)
Gerry Mulligan – Mulligan's Too (Esquire/Prestige, 1956 First UK Pressing)
Bud Shank / Bob Cooper – Flute 'N Oboe (Pacific Jazz, 1957 First Pressing)

Another week, another carboot sale. Actually, the Bill Le Sage was from local record fair and the Wilton Gaynair reissue was a cheap online buy. I really enjoy record fairs but find it dishonest when sellers try overhyping records. The jazz sections of the one I went to were pretty poor but many records had labels on them that stated "very rare" etc despite them being easy to find reissues. Anyway, the 3 albums on the floor were from the carboot this morning and cost a couple of quid each.

IMG_4459.JPG

The Jazz Book by Joachim Berendt (Paladin Books, 1984)
The Jazz Life by Nat Hentoff (Panther, 1964)
The Jazz Scene by Francis Newton (Penguin Books, 1961)
The Vinyl Detective: Low Action by Andrew Cartmel (Titan Books, 2020)
The Vinyl Detective: Attack and Decay by Andrew Cartmel (Titan Books, 2022)
The Vinyl Detective: Noise Floor by Andrew Cartmel (Titan Books, 2024)

Hit a decent pile of jazz books at the carboot sale this morning and picked out the top 3 in the photo. The Francis Newton is the pen name of Eric Hobsbawm and if memory serves he was the cousin of Denis Preston (who is responsible for the Columbia Lansdowne label), so that's interesting. The Vinyl Detective is an easy-read, fun series that centres around a record collector that hunts down specific records for wealthy collectors, only to get involved in the criminal underworld along the way. I have the first 3 of this series and jumped at these 3 when I saw them in a local charity shop.

IMG_4460.JPG

Signed Stan Tracey photo

Im not an autograph collector but I have collated a few from British jazz icons that I have found in sleeves or as cheap add ons over the years. I have a few signed albums by Stan Tracey, but I thought this was especially cool and cheap as well!

IMG_4466.JPG

Ok so 2 posts in the same number of days is insane, but with it being a bank holiday here in the UK I was able to double-dip into carboots this weekend. All these records were the result of 2 carboot sales and typically cost £1-£3 each.

New Kingdom - Heavy Load (Gee Street, 1993 First Pressing)
Santana - Abraxas (CBS, 1970 First UK Pressing)
The Dukes Of Stratosphear - 25 O'Clock (Virgin, 1985 First Pressing)
The Beatles - With The Beatles (Parlophone, 1963 First Pressing)

View attachment 212132

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Oh-By The Way (Timeless Records, 1984 First Pressing)
Horst Wende And His Orchestra - Africana (Polydor, 1960 First South African Pressing)
Art Pepper – Discoveries (Savoy Records, 1977 First German Pressing)
Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers Featuring Wynton Marsalis - Live At Bubba's (Kingdom Jazz, 1981 First UK Pressing)
Stan Getz / João Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim - Getz / Gilberto (Verve, 1964 First UK Pressing)
Les McCann Ltd. - The Truth (Pacific Jazz, 1960 First Pressing)
Harry Beckett - Pictures Of You (Paladin Records, 1985 First Pressing)
Charlie Rouse With The Stan Tracey Quartet - Playin' In The Yard (Steam, 1987 First Pressing)

A mix of jazz here. The most exciting bits are the British jazz albums that I have been meaning to get but didn't want to pay as much again for postage (these are cheap titles), such as the Harry Beckett and Stan Tracey. The artwork alone on the "Africana" was enough to convince me to get this. Really great mix.

View attachment 212133

Coleman Hawkins - Accent On Tenor (A-C-R Records, 1965 First 7" Pressing)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take The "A" Train (Philips, 1962 First 7" Pressing)
Stan Getz - Blue Rhythm Jam (Bravo! Records, 1965 First 7" Pressing)
Gerry Mulligan Quartet - The Gerry Mulligan Quartet In Boston (Vogue Productions, 1956 First 7" Pressing)
Delamo – Love Me Baby (Wanderer Records, First Trinidad & Tobago Pressing)

Some cheap 7" jazz records to round the set off, with a reggae oddity that caught my attention as well!

View attachment 212135
Curious to hear your thoughts on the Pepper Discoveries. Some rare material on it.

Back