Hip Hop

There were rumors that Aesop and El-P had a beef over El-P stitching together King of Hearts to be released and basing some of the themes of his Cancer 4 Cure album around Camu's passing because Aes felt that El was profiting off of Camu's death way too soon, but I don't know if that's actually true. I haven't seen Aesop and El-P in the same room in a while, so who knows.
I've heard this a bunch too. Never seen any clear-cut confirmation either way but unfortunately it would make sense. El and Aes always made some great stuff together, hope they can reconnect some day

Yeah Machs pricing has always been crazy. Was happy Droog didnt make the regular edition crazy expensive or the special triple digits (still a bit pricey imo). Big Wiki fan so I have the green as well but I’ve heard the shipping up north is pricey so I get it.

I always kinda assumed Mach Hommy's pricing was just a way to launder illegal funds. Or maybe it was a marketing plan? Who knows.. I just don't understand the appeal of having him involved in any project, let alone executive producing it.

I also feel like they would sell those limited edition test presses or whatever they're calling them if they told us what the bonus tracks are (and they were dope too)

I dig Wiki too. I think I was exposed via one of your posts so thanks. That green + wiki flag version is still available from XL for like $23 +shipping if anyone is interested.

That Droog album is up towards the top of my album lists for this year.

I'm not big into Mach and the pricing on some of his releases is silly but H.B.O. and Tuez les Tous are very good imo. Tuez les Tous landed this week from Soul Asassins👍

Here's the thing.. I think the first time I ever really heard a Mach Hommy song was on that new Soul Assassins record.. so I threw the record on.. Duck Sauce is the shit btw (as are a lot of other joints on it) .. and I listened all the way through.. and after, I knew I had heard two Mach Hommy songs (cause I read the tracklist on the back of the record) but for the life of me, I couldn't remember a thing about either one of them.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about most of his music. I will say that HBO has some of his best material though (and kinda surprised that hasn't been pressed up yet?) and there are some dope beats on that Saturday Night EP but his rapping really does nathan for me at all.

I think there was something that happened with Daupe? Like it was supposed to be pressed and wasn't - may have been some falling-out with the GXFR folks. I don't care enough about rapper drama to be bothered sorting it out - if it got pressed I'd buy it.

Interesting.. wonder if that's why all those Conway records are on Rap de Winkel or whatever.. ? WSG still seems to eff with Daupe though which sucks for me as he's my favorite of the crew and those prices are killing me. I do wonder if the Shady album will get a wide release or whether Daupe or whoever will handle it.

Just saw that a sealed copy of the Aquemini Newbury variant sold on discogs for $500. So, yeah, I guess I better keep a close eye on mine.
Man, sometimes I really struggle to understand this side of record collecting. Why would you want an unproven NRP/United colored reissue for 10x the cost of the going rate for the beautiful sounding AAA original? I guess if you already have an original and are a completist, but I don't get it!

Congrats on grabbing that collectors item though, for real.

Was it someone here who got that AZ - Doe or Die from Tuff Kong? It looks like it's in stock on their site and I'm debating grabbing but figured I'd check on quality / sound?
I don't have it but be forewarned that I believe this release falls under a 'grey market' release.
I don’t know if it’s a grey market release, but it comes on 2x45rpm vinyl and sounds really great.

I always kinda assumed Mach Hommy's pricing was just a way to launder illegal funds. Or maybe it was a marketing plan? Who knows.. I just don't understand the appeal of having him involved in any project, let alone executive producing it.

I also feel like they would sell those limited edition test presses or whatever they're calling them if they told us what the bonus tracks are (and they were dope too)
Couldn't disagree with this more. In fact I think this is YOD’s best project BECAUSE of Mach’s involvement. And Tuez-Les Tous is easily the best of the Muggs x Rapper projects.

I agree that his pricing is a little ridiculous but I think that’s kinda the point. Art is worth whatever you’re willing to pay for it. I just watched some idiot pay $90 million for Jeff Koons’ metal rabbit sculpture.

And I’m not sure who you consider a good lyricist if you think Mach can’t rap. You said you’re a WSG fan...Mach raps circles around WSG.

If anyone missed out on that Doom 7” from Fat Beats, ReDef has some copies in stock...

One of the most influential independent rap records of all time. Keith and Don had linked up previously via their work in Ultramagnetic but were both in transitional parts of their career. Keith would go on to record Dr. Octagon shortly thereafter and Don recorded the amazing Diabolique.

Anyway, these were originally recorded as promos for Stretch & Bobbito's show which was THE NYC station for underground rap. If you made it on there, you were good. They would eventually be released as the Cenubites EP on Bobbito's freshly minted 'Fondle 'Em Records'... an independent label that was the launching pad for MF Doom, Cage, Camu Tao and many more. They also helped ignite the indie hip-hop movement in New York that really culminated with the Rawkus / Def Jux era.

So if you want to hear where it all more or less started, check out the Cenubites/Cenobites (as it was renamed when it was released as an LP) LP on Fondle 'Em Records...

Couldn't disagree with this more. In fact I think this is YOD’s best project BECAUSE of Mach’s involvement. And Tuez-Les Tous is easily the best of the Muggs x Rapper projects.

I agree that his pricing is a little ridiculous but I think that’s kinda the point. Art is worth whatever you’re willing to pay for it. I just watched some idiot pay $90 million for Jeff Koons’ metal rabbit sculpture.

And I’m not sure who you consider a good lyricist if you think Mach can’t rap. You said you’re a WSG fan...Mach raps circles around WSG.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree cause Mach shouldn't even be WSG's weed carrier's weed carrier.

They have beef? Man, I miss out on all this shit.. what are they beefing over?
It’s more Mach vs Conway. They did a track together called Laundromat Rap, which is dope AF and all but disappeared online. It was supposed to be on G.O.A.T. but Mach leaked it first and it got pulled from the album. Conway got pissed and Griselda severed ties with Mach. That’s why HBO and Dollar Menu 2 never got released on vinyl by Daupe.

It’s more Mach vs Conway. They did a track together called Laundromat Rap, which is dope AF and all but disappeared online. It was supposed to be on G.O.A.T. but Mach leaked it first and it got pulled from the album. Conway got pissed and Griselda severed ties with Mach. That’s why HBO and Dollar Menu 2 never got released on vinyl by Daupe.

This came up when I tried to YouTube Laundromat Rap

Back