Hip Hop

Hah, I seen all of those except for the 50 one but I know enough about him that I'm not sure I need to see a new video. Does it at least mention him being on the Eric B & Rakim record?
Yeah, it's actually really well done. They actually go straight to Eric B. and get a lot of info from him. They also talk to a bunch of 50's ex girlfriends and really did their due-diligence. They even get a new gravestone for his burial site at the end.

I can't believe I never heard of Frank Matthews though, that is a really amazing story.

Yeah, it's actually really well done. They actually go straight to Eric B. and get a lot of info from him. They also talk to a bunch of 50's ex girlfriends and really did their due-diligence. They even get a new gravestone for his burial site at the end.

I can't believe I never heard of Frank Matthews though, that is a really amazing story.

I mean, I'm sure you know this but keep in mind that there is definitely a fair amount of embellishment going on in most of those videos. If you want more recent dudes, definitely check out Haitian Jack and Jimmy The Henchmen or.. shit, can't remember his name but The Clipse manager who was like the cocaine kingpin of VA.

Or ASAP Ferg's dad? Or one of the ASAP Mob's dads was a huge Harlem hustler. Like .. this shit got roots.

I mean, I'm sure you know this but keep in mind that there is definitely a fair amount of embellishment going on in most of those videos. If you want more recent dudes, definitely check out Haitian Jack and Jimmy The Henchmen or.. shit, can't remember his name but The Clipse manager who was like the cocaine kingpin of VA.

Or ASAP Ferg's dad? Or one of the ASAP Mob's dads was a huge Harlem hustler. Like .. this shit got roots.
Yeah of course it's hard to tell the facts from fiction for a lot of this stuff...But it does seem like Frank Matthews was on a totally different level. The whole idea of creating an organization of mainly black dealers all along the East Coast was really advanced for that time. He was making mafia moves, and by all accounts it seemed as if he was making more money from drugs then the actual mafia was. And just the whole story of his escape is wild. There really should be an actual movie made about that dude. It's got everything a good screenplay needs, including the ambiguous ending that leaves you thinkin, "...Is Frank Matthews still alive?"

Definitely very familiar with Haitian Jack, Jimmy & Geezy from Clipse. But I'm not too caught up on A$AP Ferg's history, gonna have to look it up.

Yeah of course it's hard to tell the facts from fiction for a lot of this stuff...But it does seem like Frank Matthews was on a totally different level. The whole idea of creating an organization of mainly black dealers all along the East Coast was really advanced for that time. He was making mafia moves, and by all accounts it seemed as if he was making more money from drugs then the actual mafia was. And just the whole story of his escape is wild. There really should be an actual movie made about that dude. It's got everything a good screenplay needs, including the ambiguous ending that leaves you thinkin, "...Is Frank Matthews still alive?"

Definitely very familiar with Haitian Jack, Jimmy & Geezy from Clipse. But I'm not too caught up on A$AP Ferg's history, gonna have to look it up.

That's the thing though is I don't necessarily believe they were making moves like they claim they were. The mafias in NY/NJ and Montreal had a stranglehold on the cocaine and heroin business... like, they built those connections from the ground up. So for some street dude to build his own pipeline that exceeded the mafias (and this was still when they held a huge amount of power) own pipeline for cocaine and heroin (that has existed since like the 20s, 30s) .. I just don't believe it.

I think it's far more likely that those below him believed he was making those kind of moves because they never dealt with any of the mafia dudes themselves or had limited dealings with them.

You know E Money Bags right? He's another more modern gangsta in rap music. Same with Hommo ? from Harlem World or whatever.. the guy who apparently shot 50 Cent and was subsequently murdered. Big L's brother was a big hustler in Harlem and word at the time was that they murdered L thinking it was his brother.. not sure if that's ever been established as fact o r not.

P Diddy's dad was apparently executed by the mafia. D Roc is a certified gangster and been down with Diddy since Day 1. Same with Biggs with Dash and Shawn Carter.

Both Jimmy Iovine and Tommy Mottola (is he even around) are known associates of the Gambino family.

Ghostface's manager was a drug dealer for the Bonnano family.

Rumor has it that G Rap was an enforcer for the Genovese family too i think?

I haven't done a deep dive of them or anything, but what I've heard isn't necessarily bad. But I also just never care to listen to it.

But I get why people like them
Makes sense. I dont think they are anything fantastic, but I've enjoyed everything theyve put out and they are very comparable to The Underachievers imo.

No love for 3001? It was my introduction to FZ and I loved that record. Sold both copies I had cause I enjoyed the money more but still would like to get another copy some day.

That's the thing though is I don't necessarily believe they were making moves like they claim they were. The mafias in NY/NJ and Montreal had a stranglehold on the cocaine and heroin business... like, they built those connections from the ground up. So for some street dude to build his own pipeline that exceeded the mafias (and this was still when they held a huge amount of power) own pipeline for cocaine and heroin (that has existed since like the 20s, 30s) .. I just don't believe it.

I think it's far more likely that those below him believed he was making those kind of moves because they never dealt with any of the mafia dudes themselves or had limited dealings with them.

You know E Money Bags right? He's another more modern gangsta in rap music. Same with Hommo ? from Harlem World or whatever.. the guy who apparently shot 50 Cent and was subsequently murdered. Big L's brother was a big hustler in Harlem and word at the time was that they murdered L thinking it was his brother.. not sure if that's ever been established as fact o r not.
Yeah I am familiar with the E. Moneybags story, and definitely heard that speculation L's murder before...seems plausible to me. Would not be the first or the last accidental hit.

I don't know though, something about the whole Frank Matthews story seems overall legit to me. He bought a house in Todt Hill, which was almost exclusively for the Italian Mafia...like a crazy nice house for that period in time. And not only was it in a Mafia hub, but he was literally the only black family living in that area at all. And the thing that really makes it believable to me is all the interviews they had with the police who were running the investigation...Multiple jurisdictions, different agencies...and by the fact that they never caught the dude (and 40 years later seemingly never will) you'd think they would downplay it if anything, just so they don't look bad. But these cops are very specific about the amount of money he was dealing with. They had a hotel mic'd up at one point and they got proof that he pulled out $5 million cash on some South American dealers and as a joke was like "let's see if you can match that..." - Anyone dealing with that amount of cash in those days definitely seems feasible that he was able to get out the country with $30 mill.

The other interesting part is the CIA made the police drop any South American aspects of their investigation because they were encroaching on The French Connection, and others who the CIA were working with in regards to certain black operations involving Cuba & the Russians in the late 60's early 70's. So for a large part most of his story is corroborated.

But overall I hear you, and agree with you. Most of this shit is embellished to some degree. I just personally believe that numbers wise Matthews has to be up there in terms of highest earners in that time period, or even overall if we are adjusting for inflation.

Yeah I am familiar with the E. Moneybags story, and definitely heard that speculation L's murder before...seems plausible to me. Would not be the first or the last accidental hit.

I don't know though, something about the whole Frank Matthews story seems overall legit to me. He bought a house in Todt Hill, which was almost exclusively for the Italian Mafia...like a crazy nice house for that period in time. And not only was it in a Mafia hub, but he was literally the only black family living in that area at all. And the thing that really makes it believable to me is all the interviews they had with the police who were running the investigation...Multiple jurisdictions, different agencies...and by the fact that they never caught the dude (and 40 years later seemingly never will) you'd think they would downplay it if anything, just so they don't look bad. But these cops are very specific about the amount of money he was dealing with. They had a hotel mic'd up at one point and they got proof that he pulled out $5 million cash on some South American dealers and as a joke was like "let's see if you can match that..." - Anyone dealing with that amount of cash in those days definitely seems feasible that he was able to get out the country with $30 mill.

The other interesting part is the CIA made the police drop any South American aspects of their investigation because they were encroaching on The French Connection, and others who the CIA were working with in regards to certain black operations involving Cuba & the Russians in the late 60's early 70's. So for a large part most of his story is corroborated.

But overall I hear you, and agree with you. Most of this shit is embellished to some degree. I just personally believe that numbers wise Matthews has to be up there in terms of highest earners in that time period, or even overall if we are adjusting for inflation.

I did forget about his house on Todt Hill but I think that lends itself more to the story that he was a top earner / seller for the mafia.. not that he was competition to them. Speaking of Todt Hill, the houses there are all crazy. That's where Castellano built his own White House.

No love for 3001? It was my introduction to FZ and I loved that record. Sold both copies I had cause I enjoyed the money more but still would like to get another copy some day.
Yea 3001 is my favorite Flatbush album. The prices that album goes for now are insane. Its #1 on my list of albums that I didnt think would be worth a lot that are now worth A LOT.

• Lowest:
    $180.00
  • Median:
    $333.33
  • Highest:
    $477.00
Like who paid almost $500 for that album?

Back